Strange night noises...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Strange night noises...

Hi all, 

I kept my promise to DH and we had DD in her crib/room at 8 weeks with no problems (she'd been napping there during the day anyway). 

Last night she even slept 6 1/2 hours straight! It was fabulous, and would have been more fabulous if I had been able to sleep. 

She kept making this crazy sound I've never heard her make before. It almost sounded like she was gasping for air. When I went in to check her (100 times), she was doing fine - her breathing seemed normal - at least I think so; she often breathes fast and then slows down...I've always figured it was dreaming or something. 

I didn't know it was going to be so hot last night so I had her in long PJs and swaddled in a cotton blanket. I turned on the a/c and that's hwen the sound started but I don't really think they are related. I also keep the vent in her room closed so it doesnt get ice cold in her room. 

When she woke up at 3:30, she seemed fine, I fed her and she went back to sleep with no noises. 

We're seeing the pedi tomorrow, but just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: Strange night noises...

My daughter did this weird shudder/gasp thing in her sleep for the first few months. I remember it really freaked me out. It was hard to describe but it was kind of like when you cry really hard and then have aftershocks. Is that what you're talking about? My bff's newborn did the same thing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I'd try and record the sound (AC off) and bring it to the pedi tomorrow. That would totally freak me out, but agree with Lemon that it's common in small babies.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Is it possible that the baby monitor is making her normal night noises seem louder/different than they normally are?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Yay for 6 1/2 hrs of sleep! That's great.  DS makes all kinds of noises when he's asleep, grunting etc. and it keeps me awake if I put the monitor on too high. I now turn the monitor down so low that I can only hear him if he really cries.  If I try to take a nap next to him he wakes me up with his funny noises. He's usually congested and that makes the noises worse.   If you're listening to her on the monitor you could turn it down.(as long as you're not still worried) Just a thought. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Ditto ML about trying to record it!  We had a weird thing and that's exactly what the pediatrician asked us to do.  It was a little strange running for the camera when she was doing something weird, but we did it and we have our film screening with the doctor tomorrow.  :)

If you are hearing it but then can't catch it when you go in to check, it is probably the monitor sounding weird.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Lemon - yeah, that's a good way to describe it I think. 

I'll record it tonight if she does it again - it could be the monitor. Now that I think about it I can't remember if she did it when I was in the room checking on her or not. 

I'll try turning the monitor down, too - we keep a fan on in our room so I worry that I won't hear her over that, but I probably could spare a few notches. ;-)

thanks!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

Our monitor distorts sounds so that what I think is our DD is actually the fan or A/C or whatever amplified and distorted. That may have been what you were hearing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I have the perfect solution, Silver!!

You take our sh*tty monitor and then you won't hear half the noises DS makes.

We'll take your video monitor and then we can monitor DS's rolling.

Kidding, but I am really tempted to get a video monitor!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

hahaaa. 

get the video monitor. It's great. She hasn't made the noise again - and I forgot to ask the doc about it. 

I like the video monitor b/c I can see when she's unswaddled herself, or when she's just talking in her sleep. I can't zoom in to make sure she's breathing though...so it isn't perfect. ;-) 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

oh and Fram, our monitor picks up noise so well, that when DH passes gas (yeah...DH...right...) in our bedroom, I can hear it on the monitor. Special, I know.

Sections
Shortcuts