Stroller advice?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Stroller advice?

I posted a bit about this on the April Infants and Toddlers board and got some good advice, some wanted to crowd source my decision: DS is 2 1/2 months old. I have a Graco Signature Series 3 in 1 stroller And Snugride carseat. I love the carseat but don't like the stroller. Most of our walking is outside on often uneven pavement and the stroller just doesn't take it well. So, I want a jogger and I don't want to wait because a) summer's coming and I plan to be outside even more and b) I'm currently unemployed and don't know hoe long it will last, so I want to take advantage of the time I can get out a lot. The probllem here is that I can't financially justify having two $300+ strollers, so I need something that works now. From what people said on the other board, I think DS will need a carseat adapter for awhile, which from what I can tell limits us to the Graco Trekko or a BOB with an adapter. My other, less appealing, option is to get a cheap jogger on Craigslist and keep the Graco. So I guess my question is: would it be advisable to trade in my all-purpose stroller for a jogger we can use now, or should I suck it up and wait until I can

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Re: Stroller advice?

Argh, sorry, I always do this but when I post from the iPad I randomly can't type anymore. To finish that thought: should I trade in the all purpose for a jogger we can use now or should I suck it up and wait until DS can go in a Cheap jogger without an adapter? If I sell the Graco and make a jogger my only stroller, will I be kicking myself when I need to go to stores, etc.?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

I don't know anything about joggers but I recommend getting a cheap umbrella stroller for when you are out and about in stores.  I hated my Graco stroller and in fact traded in at BRU and got a car seat we needed instead.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Have you tried looking in thrift stores?  Yard sale season is upon us, too.  Not that you can count on finding one right away, but you could call the Good Will and Salvation Army stores near you and see if they have any joggers.  Or, ebay...in just a second I found this one for $50.  baby jogger on ebay

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks, Kar. The issue is getting one I can use with my carseat now, and that limits me (at least I think it does -- this stuff is complicated!) to brands that would be pretty expensive even on resale, and I want to be sure it's wise to get rid of my all purpose before I do that. Dz, I should know this, but how old do babies need to be to go in an umbrella stroller? I was assuming they needed to have full head control but I realized I'm not totally sure. It's really my impatience complicating this. If I were willing to just wait a few months until DS can safely go in a jogger without an adapter, there would be no issue but I don't feel like spending the summer grumbling about my Graco through my 5 mile walks :).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Do you actually run or are you just looking for a better stroller for walking?  

I have a few strollers, and honestly, I've yet to find the perfect one for an infant if you also want to walk/run for exercise.  My main stroller is the Baby Jogger City Select, which can be a double or single and has a carseat adapter.  I think even at almost 9 months my DS prefers to be in his carseat and not the regular seat because the regular seat doesn't recline much and he usually falls asleep on walks.  I think that if you went Baby Jogger, the city mini would be your best bet for only one LO. I think the baby jogger and BOBs are fine for anything and not just for running.

I've also walked with the snap and go (horrible!), a cheap chicco umbrella which is surprisingly smooth (but no good for a LO as young as yours), and we also have a secondhand BOB single (which I've yet to use) and a secondhand side by side jogger (not sure the brand).  

Kar is right on with checking secondhand shops and craigslist/ebay & yardsales.  Lots of people look to get rid of their single when baby #2 comes along and they need a double.  So you can get a relatively new single for a bargain price (if you're lucky)!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I have a Jeep jogging stroller that you can attach an infant seat to.  It costs less than $200.  It is heavier than the higher end jogging strollers, but I haven't minded so far.  I should also add that I use it for walking, not jogging, so I can't review it as far as jogging goes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks! Trouble, I didn't realize Baby Jogger had an adaptor for multiple carseats, too. I just found a cheap one on Craigslist!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

We have the Baby Jogger City Mini and used it with the Graco Snugride. I think Babies R us didn't have the adapter in the store, so we ordered it online. We kept DD in the carseat on walks for about 10 months. Our walks are mostly around the neighborhood or the lake in Wakefield, and it's been fine for that. I love the City Mini because I can get it out of the trunk and open/close it with 1 hand.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Baby trend, Jeep, mountain buggy,zooper, baby jogger, bumbleride, phil & teds all have the 3-wheel all-terrain ones similar to bob.  Some are joggers, some are more just all terrain.  I think just about all have carseat adapter ability.  You might find a good one on craigslist and just have to splurge for the adapter new... or sometimes you can find one with the whole enchilada on craigslist too, though, including the adapter.  Some don't need an adapter - some models of bumbleride and zooper have a bar that serves as the adapter already, and I think the trays on the jeep and baby trend serve the same as well, but I could be wrong.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Arcain, the more i think about this, the more I think you may want to look into this more.  There are 3-wheel all terrains that you can use from infancy - zooper boogy turns into a flat bassinet, other brands like mountain buggy have bassinet attachments, and some brands like bumble ride indie recline flat and have head supports.  It may vary by model year.  I think the better "joggers" that are for serious jogging may not be suitable for newborns b/c they may not recline flat and may be too wobbly without the carseat adapter, like BOB for instance, but plenty of the ones I named in my last post can be used for all-terrain walking with newborns.  My friend had a Zooper Boogie.  Not sure if they still make it but it had EVERYTHING.  I think there was a kick bar that the carseat could attach to, but it also turned flat and the handle bar reversed like a bugaboo so you could have a 3-wheel, newborn facing you, bassinet style stroller.  My friend's had air-filled bicycle tires.  Here's a similar one on craigslist: http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bab/2975714693.html
    Hope you can find something out there that's a good deal and meets your needs.  I hear you on needing something all-terrain for those neighborhood walks.  I have a BOB, but my friend with the Zooper would take the same walks with me and that Zooper Boogie handled great. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongirl88. Show bostongirl88's posts

I paid $150 for my Baby Trend Expedition LX Jogger at BRU (It was on sale and then I used a 20% off coupon). It's awesome!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks MM and bostongirl, I bought a used Baby Jogger on Craigslist last week but it turns out it doesn't work with my adapter -argh! I will look into the all-terrains that you suggest, MM.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

HI Arcain! Wanted to reply to this earlier but was locked out for password reasons argh!  Everyone I know recommends and obsesses over their BOB stroller.  I finally got one this time around (always wanted one for my now-3 yo though).  I got it off CL from someone for $200 in excellent condition.  I know someone that sells them wholesale as well for about $300 new.  Its an excellent stroller if you can get away from the cost, but its def a bit bulky in and out of the car.  I have an SUV (had a civic with DD) so it doesnt bother me though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Saw this and thought of you, Arcain.  Valco is another brand to consider.  Some of their 3-wheel all-terrain strollers accept a toddler seat to become a double stroller down the line.
    http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bab/2998666391.html

Sections
Shortcuts