Stroller Survey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

Stroller Survey

Hi,
    I've started our  stroller search and boy is it overwhelming! 

So, I thought I'd see what kind/brand of stroller everyone has.  Please also share if you live in the city or suburbs, how you like it, and if you wish you had made a different choice and why.

thanks!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Re: Stroller Survey

Hi!  I have like a million strollers, sadly.  Some for free and quite by accident, though.  We have a graco metrolite that accepts the graco snugride - pleasantly surprised by this stroller.  It's on the lighter end for the gracos and pretty portable.  It's been good for malls, traveling since it reclines and has a snack tray - it kind of serves as a nap spot and even makeshift high chair when we've traveled.  My favorite stroller is our BOB revolution - it is AWESOME.   Pushes like a dream, super maneuverable, goes over anything.  Where I live in the burbs, it is a necessity... the Graco NEVER would have cut it in the winter or on some of the sidewalk-less terrain I routinely walk over.  It makes me WANT to exercise.  We used it with the carseat adapter when DS was an infant and  converted the adapter to the snack tray when he got older - he'll occasionally have dinner on that if we decide on an afterwork walk to the park.  We are expecting #2 and recently bought the double BOB b/c we love the single so much.  We were also given an UPPA Baby GLite umbrella stroller.  I mainly keep this in my car "just in case."  It's handy for quick shopping trips and such.  It is super-duper lightweight and portable and has a decent sunshade for that size stroller... my only complaint and reason for not using it for traveling is that this model doesn't recline and there's no parent cupholders.  The slightly heavier GLuxe does recline and have a cupholder and seems pretty cool, though, as I've seen a friend's.  We planned on the Double Bob (plus carseat adapter) being our main stroller for DS and #2 when she arrives, but we we also randomly came into a free graco duoglider and picked up an old Maclaren side-by-side for $20 at a neighbor's yard sale.  I'll probably ship the graco off to my parents out of state just so I don't have to pack one to bring when I visit and I imagine we'll use the Maclaren when/if flying with the two kids.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

Please pardon me for going OT first for a moment. Regarding the Evenflo recommendation and adjusting straps... I'm just mentioning this b/c I realize not everyone will know, but you should not ever have to adjust straps based on your baby's outfit. The straps should always be equally snug. If a sweater or jacket is too puffy for straps to fit snugly, please don't put it on your baby in the carseat. A puffy garment will compress during a collision, and if the straps are not tight enough a baby can be ejected from his/her seat. I don't mean to cause offense - I know everyone intends for their baby to ride safely, so I just wanted to share that detail. (Your MIL may gasp, but being cold for 90 seconds while she gets buckled isn't going to hurt your baby!) I agree thugh that the evenflo is a good seat!

Anyway, to answer the question - when I had one baby I had a Bumbleride Rocket (for long walks and exercise) and a Graco Ipo (umbrella stroller for the trunk). Rocket was adorable but a bit heavy and bulky, Ipo was a great value. Now that I have 2 kiddos I have a Joovy UL Caboose (sit-n-stand for shopping, etc) and a Bob Duallie (for long walks and exercise). Both are great. The BOB is big but probably the best-made stroller I've ever used.

ETA: I roll in the 'burbs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Hi Boston,
    We live in a condo in Somerville and so far all of our walks have been in the city.  We have only used our Graco snap-n-go with our Graco Snugride carseat thusfar and it's been great.  I had a c-section and this stroller has made it possible for me to go on walks and do errands alone with my baby when my husband is working because the stroller is so light - I can lift and open/close it with one hand.  It has good storage underneath and 2 cupholders.

We also got the Jeep stroller for a shower gift, but it's still in its box at my MIL's house, so I can't rate that just yet!

Also one word about carseats - the Graco Snugride's straps adjust easily from the front as well - I'm not sure which carseats have to be taken apart in order to adjust the straps...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I'm not much help, but I recently registered for the Graco Snap n Go and the Jeep Liberty.  I liked the Graco Metrolite that someone mentioned before, but I've decided that Baby Bargains is my bible and they don't recommend travel systems.  Something - besides you ladies :o) - has to be my baby bible!

I'm still trying to figure out if the Jeep stroller will be safe once the baby has outgrown the infant car seat that can snap in, since it's either a jogging stroller or some kind of hybrid.

Not all of the Graco Snugride carseats can be adjusted from the front, so make sure to confirm before buying.  Not sure about any other brands, but something to check for!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

I am with Deysan...I have my Graco travel system stroller which is great, but rather heavy and very bulky.  I also have the Chicco Liteway stroller which I love and use all the time, but now expecting #2 in 7 weeks I have done so much research on strollers and for my double we are going with the double city mini by baby jogger.  They are super lite, easy to manuver and fold up so easy.  I have an Altima and will still have 1/4 of trunk space (with a double stroller!!!!) when all said and done, which is sooo important with kids!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

We used a Chicco travel system.  It was great when DS was an infant, but because the material in the car seat was vinyl, he sweat a lot in it.  Still, I would recommend it.  The stroller itself I really, really liked; it wasn't too heavy, folded easily, and opened easily.  It reclined, had a really roomy basket, it was great.  We took it on vacation with us to Washington DC and it was great for the city (we live in the suburbs and I used to take him for walks in it). 

DS, however, does not like strollers and began to struggle with being put in that one.  I think it was because the seat itself didn't go 100% upright, so he was kind of leaning back all the time, even when we had it in the most upright position.

We switched to a lightweight stroller when he got bigger (around nine months) and went with the Maclaren Volo.  *Love* this.  It's super lightweight, easy to carry around, slim enough to fit on the floor of any backseat or trunk, and DS will sit in it.  Not for long of course since he still hates strollers.

I would recommend both of the ones I used and will mostly likely use them both next time, too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

We've got the Graco snap and go for when we're using the car seat (running errands back and forth from the car) and the Baby Jogger citi mini for everything else. The snap and go will only last as long as your baby is in the infant car seat, though. My son is almost out of the infant car seat so then we'll just use the citi mini (which we really like).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

We have the baby trend snap n go - it has the two cupholders on the top (it is different from the graco one) that we use now with his carseat for quick trips to the store and mall etc.  For walking around the neighborhood I have an uppababy vista.  I love it.  We used the bassinet feature which was great early on and just now switched over to the stroller part. 

Some things I love about it are that it has an adjustable seat from sitting way up to almost laying down.  The handle adjusts too which is nice for DH who is taller and me who is shorter.  Also, you can have the stroller portion either facing you and you can talk to your LO or having it facing away.  Right now it is facing me and DS and I will "talk" while I walk.  Ok so I talk and sometimes DS laughs at me! It's great because he can see me but not a whole lot else yet but when he is older and his eye sight is better I know he will love facing away from me to see everything out there!

It is great in our suburban town that has horrible sidewalks.  I might as well be walking on a trail in the woods with tree roots that is how bad and bumpy some of our sidewalks are but the uppababy has been terrific!! It maneuvers great. If you are a jogger you may not like it because it is a 4 wheel vs. a 3 wheel.  It is pretty light weight but it is bulky and takes up a lot of space in the trunk of my tiny volvo, hence the snap n go.  When we can't use the snap n go anymore I am planning on getting an umbrella stroller.  Not sure which one yet.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

I only have one stroller...the Uppababy Vista and I love it.  It is lightweight but as LLLE has mentioned it is bulky.  It takes up a significant amount of space in my Camry.  I've used the bassinet feature and am still using the car seat adapter (although I'm not sure how much longer we'll use that since DD is 4 mos. and getting heavier).   I live in the city and its great for walking around with uneven sidewalks and has a lot of room under the stroller to store stuff. For me, the only con is that it tends to be bulky and accessories like a cupholder are extra. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trinitalia. Show Trinitalia's posts

nene, we've decided to go with the UPPAbaby Vista for our LO due in February.  I'm glad to hear that you love it!  With that decision out of the way, we're moving on to finding a car seat.  Since the Vista is compatible with only 4 brands, one would think that making a decision would be a lot easier than having to choose among the gagillion options out there....but, it's not!  We would love the Peg but it's a bit pricey, so I think we're leaning toward the Chicco.  I'd love to know which car seat you have and if you are happy with your choice.  Thanks!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

We got the UPPA Vista with the adaptor for the Graco Snugride (Trini -- Baby Bargains gave that one its highest rating and, if memory serves, it was cheaper than the Chicco) and I love it.  It's HEAVY, though, so if you're not OK with hauling it in and out of the car, keep that in mind.  When she's older, we'll probably switch to an umbrella stroller when I take her out in the car, but for now I don't mind the lifting to use the snap n' go feature.  I walk every day and it handles exceptionally well on bumpy roads/sidewalks, is easy to steer one-handed so I can get in and out of tight spots ... I never worry about a flat tire; it's awesome.  

If I lived in a less walkable town and was going to be using the car daily, I'd probably have just registered for a snap n go and splurged on a jogging stroller for walks.  Then added the umbrella stroller when she was old enough.  I think the "one stroller to do everything" idea is a myth.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Right now we are using the Graco snap n go while our daughter is still in her infant car seat.  It has been pretty easy to use.  We also got the baby jogger city mini for when she outgrows this one.  We haven't started using it yet, but my husband and I loved how easily the city mini folds down.  You can do it with one hand.  Seems pretty durable too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

Thank you all for your feedback.  I think that your suggestions have led me in a better direction. 

We live in the suburbs and I am looking for a stroller that I can use everyday to walk about 3 miles (I walk the wakefield lake and I'm hoping for a dry spring!)  I'm also looking for something that I can throw in the car and can easily take out. 
    I LOVED the Uppa Vista and was so happy to see that so many of you liked it too.  It's hard for me to not want it - it's just too cute!  But the price tag, weight and bulkiness are a turnoff (but i was still trying to convince myself to get it). 
    I am really against a stroller with 3 wheels (nannied for a family that had one and I HATED it) so I had steered clear of the Baby Jogger.  However, with all of your suggestions for it, I looked at the models and found the Baby Jogger "City Select." 
    It seems to have all the features of the Uppa, and has even better options in terms of adding another seat in the future.  Plus the price is less and it seems to fold up more easily, and weigh less.  It seems to have everything I need and dare I say it....be as close to an all-in-one as you can get. 
    I haven't tried it in person, but I'm hoping for the best. 

Thanks again!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Just remember that the babyjogger CITY series are not joggers -- they are just for walking. They're for urban terrain, so if you plan on doing trails, you will probably find a city series stroller a really tough push. We had the City Mini and it really was only good on paved roads. We tried to take it to the Decordova once and even those smooth paths were too much for it. You might consider saving your walking stroller for sidewalks and buying a cheap, used jogger you can use for rough terrain, snow, or sand. That's what we did.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Trini-We have the Chicco infant seat.  I bought it because it was rated highly in Baby Bargains and it had more side impact protection than the snug ride.  However, if I had to do it again I'd probably choose the snugride.  The snugride is a little lighter and it seems to have better sun protection than the Chicco. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Bostonslp - I walk the lake too!!  Although it's been really tough to find time after work lately.

Does anyone have feedback about infants in jogging strollers/3 wheel strollers?  I registed for the Jeep Liberty and I'm really concerned about putting the baby in at once she outgrows the infant seat.  It seems safe enough while the seat is clipped in.  I'm not quite sure if it's considered a jogging stroller, so maybe I'm worried for nothing.  Sorry to bring it up again, but I've mentioned it in two threads and haven't gotten any bites.  Is it a controversial topic that I'm unaware of??  Thanks!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Fra, the only advice I can offer about the Jeep Liberty is that a few of my friends have it and while they like it, they are in the market for a new stroller because it is too big and bulky and as their child is growing its getting heavier to push. I would highly suggest going to BRU and putting a heavy item in the stroller and push it for a little bit, close it up and see how heavy it really is, even ask to see if it will fit in your trunk to see how much space you will have afterwards.  I wish when I registered for my first someone suggested that to me because I would have done things a little differently.  As I mentioned before, Im in the market for a double stroller and have looked at strollers very differently now which is why Im not going to hesitate to spend the 400 bucks for the stroller I really want because it meets all my criteria.  HTH

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I went to Garden in the Woods with a friend with a BOB, and from my admittedly very short time using it, am surprised this thread isn't a BOB love fest...what am I missing about the BOB?  Too expensive?   Heavy?  Big?   I didn't have the pleasure of folding it or hefting it into the SUV...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Fram, I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you afraid of putting a newborn in a jogger or a 3-wheel stroller? You can put a newborn in a full-recline stroller, whether it has 3 or 4 wheels -- just use a rolled blanket or snuzzler to support the head and neck. You're not supposed to use a jogger until the kid is 6 months old, but that's because many joggers don't recline, and the kid can get jostled and bounced around (many joggers have a nylon seat without much structure or support). If your jogger has full recline you can use it from birth (with the aforementioned neck support). As soon as the baby has reasonable head and neck control, you can walk him in a jogging stroller without fully reclining.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Kar - I am a BOB lovefest.  Yes it is big, but AMAZING.  Dare I say smooth as butter!  Love my single and super excited for my double.  I do have friends who this is their only stroller. 
    Bostonslp - did the families you nannied for have 3-wheelers with stationary wheels?  The more traditional joggers have fixed front wheels that can be harder to turn.  Now, many joggers have front wheels that rotate 360 and they are super easy too maneuver.  They also can lock straight for jogging. 
    FRAM, by the time your little one is ready to be out of the carseat (and you are ready to stop snapping it in), you should be fine with a jogger.  I think you aren't officially supposed to jog until they are a little older like lemon suggests (check your model's recommendations, ask your pedi, etc).  But for regular strolling, most of them recline.  I started putting DS in the BOB without the carseat probably around 6mos b/c it did recline varying amounts and at 6mos, he was able to start enjoying a stroll and wanted to look around and was no longer instantly asleep the minute I started walking.  At the stage when the fall asleep at the slightest movement, like when they are younger, the carseat keeps things extra easy b/c when you are done with your walk, pop off the carseat and bring LO inside without waking him/her.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Kar--all three.

A single BOB runs close to $300.  I don't have a lot of experience with single strollers, so I can't comment on them specifically.  The mothers of twins I know who have double BOBs love them, but all of them complain about how heavy and big they are.  The "duallie" which seems to be the most-popular, costs over $500).  We actually got a used BOB double jogger a while back for free from another MOT, not initially realizing what bad shape it was in.  We couldn't fit it in our Mazda 3 hatchback (even after removing the wheels).  We had to use rope to tie the unlatched door down in order to get it home.  So...the double ones, at least, don't fit in regular car trunks.  I would imagine the single ones are a tight-fit at best.  Many of the MOTs I know who have them have difficulty lifting them into their SUVs or minivans and really only use them for running.  We ultimately traded the free BOB (seriously, it was falling apart and in really bad shape) in at BRU for a 20% discount off of a low-end double jogger (DH and I don't run, so we just needed something basic for hiking/uneven terrain etc.).

So, yes, the BOBs are really nice, but there are a lot of reasons they might not be "right" for a lot of people.  It's kind of like the [insert luxury car of your choice] of strollers. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

We're going with the BOB because we'll use it for walks at home. It's not your everyday, everywhere stroller. I am going to get another light weight stroller, prob. the Uppa G-luxe to keep in the car for the mall etc. Also we'll have a snap and go.   I think the bob is best for going for runs, rough terrain, it's not the stroller you take to the store!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

ajuly -- you can try the g-luxe and g-lite at Magic Beans. You might find that the G-lite is plenty of stroller for short trips. We ended up getting the Volo instead of a reclining Maclaren because our daughter didn't like reclining anyway and the volo was so much lighter and easier to deal with.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for the insight on the BOB - it looked perfect to me, an outsider who didn't have to purchase, lift, or fit it in my car. :)  I did push it, though, and yeah, it's like buttah.