Stroller Survey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Stroller Survey

Thanks for the input! 
    I was/am concerned because some sources say not to put an infant in a jogging stroller until 6 months and some say a year.  I can't even tell for sure if the Jeep Liberty is a jogging stroller or just a 3 wheeler.  But thank you for the tip about full recline.  If it does that, then it seems like it will be safe once I don't want to snap the carseat in any longer.  I won't be using it for jogging, but still concerns me to use it for long walks.

And thanks June - I'll check out the weight of it next time.  It did seem a bit bulky but I figure most similar strollers are and my trunk seems big enough.  I was tempted to ask if I could try it... maybe next time!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

Fram - that's too funny!  We are finding more in common. 
    I haven't walked since summer because I was so sick then.  During the school year I work two jobs, so by the time I get home, it's way to dark!  I can't wait for spring to get back into a routine.  hopefully it will be a dry sping :)

In Response to Re: Stroller Survey:
    [QUOTE]Bostonslp - I walk the lake too!!  Although it's been really tough to find time after work lately. Does anyone have feedback about infants in jogging strollers/3 wheel strollers?  I registed for the Jeep Liberty and I'm really concerned about putting the baby in at once she outgrows the infant seat.  It seems safe enough while the seat is clipped in.  I'm not quite sure if it's considered a jogging stroller, so maybe I'm worried for nothing.  Sorry to bring it up again, but I've mentioned it in two threads and haven't gotten any bites.  Is it a controversial topic that I'm unaware of??  Thanks!!
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

ajuly brings up a good point:  don't expect that strollers are going to be "one size fits all."  We have 4 strollers:  The aforementioned low-end double jogger for hiking/uneven terrain, etc., a double umbrella stroller for stores/malls and "everyday,"  and 2 single cheapo umbrella strollers for the rare occasion when one adult goes out with one child or for situations where it's going to be easier to maneuver 2 single strollers than 1 double stroller. 

Lots of people also end up picking up used/low-end strollers to leave at grandparents'/other relatives homes too.

Someone else mentioned this already, but Magic Beans will let you take strollers (and carseats, too) out to your car to make sure they'll fit before you buy them. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not all places do?  What if it doesn't fit, you have to walk back in and return it?  What a pita!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

The magic beans thing is really funny -- you leave your license and they let you test drive the stroller outside. They'll even give you a weighted baby doll to practice putting it in and taking it out and maneuvering. You can use the fake baby with the carriers too (but not outside the store).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

BRU lets you do the same thing if you leave your license at Customer Service. We did it when we went shopping for DS' last car seat. (We didn't get a weighted baby-doll, though.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

You'd feel  a lot less silly pushing an empty stroller around BRU than around Coolidge Corner.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I'll have to go to Magic Beans! I noticed that Amazon has a lot of strollers on their site, I'm thinking of doing an Amazon registry too, since BRU doesn't carry all the brands that I have been looking for..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I thought about that too, ajuly, because I didn't like any of the SnugRide car seats at BRU... We'll see!
    I don't want anyone to have to pay ridiculous shipping fees BUT amazon as a lot of items available with free super saver shipping or whatever it's called.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

i hate to go back to this thread again - i thought I would have decided on a stroller by now...but no. 
    We went back to magic beans today and now i'm more confused. 
    Did not like the baby jogger city select - was jus ttoo heavy. 
    The Uppa Baby Vista was still nice, but was also so so heavy and relly bulky.  Also not so easy to close up.  I don't think it will be good for me - i'm tiny! 
    Then the person helping us suggested the Bugaboo Cameleon which I hadn't considered.  It seemed like a relaly good option and was much lighter.  I had no trouble with it.  It's a bit pricier - but found a good one on craigslist for half the price. 
    Does anyone have this stroller? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

bostonslp - i have the baby jogger city select and really like it.  i don't think it's too heavy compared to other strollers (and i have the twin attachment!) and in fact, i was afraid it would be at first so i bought a double snap and go - and they weigh about the same.  (granted i'm talking doubles, but i have to think the single version is the same.)  so now the snap and go is sitting unused in our living room and i'm totally happy with the city select.  love that it can take the car seats as well as larger infant/toddler seats later, and it's also a good double stroller for if you have a second child.  i think there's only 1 bugaboo stroller that is a double - coming out next year? - and i don't know if any of the single bugaboos can be converted to double strollers later, i've heard they cannot.  i love bugaboo's colors though!  but just wanted to say i have been super happy with the city select and love that i just have ONE stroller (for now!).  i live in boston BTW.  oh, and the city select folds up pretty easily and gets fairly small when folded.  hth.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonhime. Show bostonhime's posts

We have the Baby Trend Expedition ELX. It's a jogging stroller travel system. I wanted a 3-wheel stroller with real rubber wheels (not the plastic kind that is on most strollers) but didn't want to pay too much for one. I looked at BOBs but they were out of my price range. I know I'm going to have more than 1 child so spending $300+ on a stroller I will use for 2 years and then getting rid of seemed kind of steep. The ELX cost me $150 at BRU (when it was on sale) and it's great. It's a really smooth ride and doesn't squeek like some of the other strollers my mom friends have. My son is 5 months old now and he has already outgrown the infant car seat so I bought a convertible car seat and have put him in the stroller without the car seat. He seems to be ok in it and since he loves to stretch it gives him more room to do so.
    I go on alot of walks (Horn Pond, Jamaica Pond, Q pond in Wakefield, malls, Boston sidewalks, etc) and I haven't had any issues.
    I must note that I have a minivan. The stroller is a little bulky but I have no room issues with my car. My husband has a CR-V and it takes up a lot of room in his trunk. I would not recommend this stroller if you have a compact car.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

It is a little off topic- but I am wondering if any of you have had to "fix" a stroller? We got a hand me down baby trend jogger, which has been great, but the front wheel spins a lot (it has the 360 function) and causes "jumping" (no butter here!) so we have had to lock it in place, which then makes it harder to maneuver. I am big on reuse-recycle, so I would rather not scrap it, but wasn’t sure how to “fix” it (and whether there is a person somewhere who does this?)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Have you tried your local bike shop?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

In Response to Re: Stroller Survey:
    [QUOTE]i hate to go back to this thread again - i thought I would have decided on a stroller by now...but no.  We went back to magic beans today and now i'm more confused.  Did not like the baby jogger city select - was jus ttoo heavy.  The Uppa Baby Vista was still nice, but was also so so heavy and relly bulky.  Also not so easy to close up.  I don't think it will be good for me - i'm tiny!  Then the person helping us suggested the Bugaboo Cameleon which I hadn't considered.  It seemed like a relaly good option and was much lighter.  I had no trouble with it.  It's a bit pricier - but found a good one on craigslist for half the price.  Does anyone have this stroller? 
    Posted by bostonslp[/QUOTE]

I used to sell Bugaboos when I worked for a maternity/baby/gear store and as smoothly as they ride, they're a pain to set up and take down over and over.  It's fine while the baby's still in a seat; you can just snap the car seat in and out, but try getting a screaming kid out of it, taking it apart, and loading it (while said child is still screaming just in the car seat now).  Now try imagining that in the rain and in the snow.  As attractive as the stroller is and as awesome as it is, the fact you have to take it apart to close it up just wasn't a big thrill for me when I was shopping for my own bambino and not selling them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

One of my friends had the Cameleon and ended up selling it a few months after her child was born due to the same reason KMMZ mentioned.  Unlike other strollers, I believe you have to detach the seat to set it up which seems like it would be a pain.  She eventually ended up with the BOB and loves it. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from paul0. Show paul0's posts

We progressed from the snap-n-go to a Graco MetroLite (bought off Craigslist) and also used the MacLaren Volo.  We also have a jogging stroller of some make or another.  We are suburbanites whose kids spend a lot of time in the car and had little interest in the stroller when they learned to walk, anyway.

If you are in the city and will be using the stroller a lot, maybe spending big bucks on something is a good idea.  But for something used for short distances there are better ways to spend money, and the usefulness/ease of deployment should dominate the selection.  If it's too big and too bulky, you are going to end up leaving the stroller at home, which is a waste -- and you'll likely end up with something very portable, like a $15 umbrella stroller you pick up somewhere.

I liked the Volo the best because it's very easy to fold, it takes up very little space and it's very high quality.  The problem with bigger strollers is that they can monopolize the trunk of a compact car very easily.  If you have a minivan or SUV, it's not likely a big deal, but with a small car and a stroller that takes up all the trunk space, it's really hard to pack for a trip.

If you do want to move upmarket, look to Craigslist.  We got our Graco stroller for under $40, and it had been barely used.  The list price was something like $140.  Strollers are pretty ephermeral, especially once the kids get into walking they gather dust or bang around the trunk for six months until you have to take them out to fit something in Smile

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

bostonslp, I think you should consider the multi-stroller solution. A jogger for walks around the neighborhood -- it doesn't have to be lightweight because you'll just push it into and out of your house -- and a snap'n'go and later an umbrella stroller for your trunk. It sounds expensive, but snap'n'gos are about $20 on craigslist, and most people only use them for 3 months or so, so they're not beat up. We got our jogger used on craigslist for I think $50 and it's awesome. And since you're small, an umbrella stroller could cost you as little as $15 (the price goes up when the handles get higher). If you're going to be doing a lot of hiking and walking, you could splurge on a really nice jogger like the BOB, and it would still be cheaper than one bugaboo.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toltgait. Show toltgait's posts

We have a few strollers- Phil and Teds Sport, Bugaboo Bee, Maclaren Triumph and a snap n go.  

Our Stroller history goes like this

Bought P&T thinking we'd have another child and needed a jogger that could adapt.

Didn't think I wanted a snap n go, but had to do it.

For a lightweight we had a Maclaren Quest, which started having problems when DS was 10 months, got rid of it and bought a Bugaboo Bee which has been a fabulous all around stroller.  We even used this once our second was born with a buggy board on it.  However, we tend to use the P&T more because it has two seats available, good for long walks, city walking, etc.

I really, really love our Bee.  I think it's a great versatile stroller, fairly lightweight, great shocks, rolls so smooth, seat faces forward or back.  We used it for traveling internationally and it was fabulous.  We are trying to sell it now only because we use the double and the Bee has not been used for a while, so if you want it, let me know!  It's in great shape and I have a bunch of accessories.

I think you could get by with a stroller like the Bee if you have one kid.  It's very versatile.  However, if you are going to be on very rough terrain, I'd go for a jogger and then a lightweight, as suggested.  It's hard to just get by with one stroller.  When we don't use the P&T, I bought a Triumph off of craigslist for $30 because I wanted a stroller to throw in and out of the trunk and use on an airplane and not care if it got lost/damaged.

Good luck!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Melsau2006. Show Melsau2006's posts

I had the 2009 Uppababy Vista and liked it alot.  My only complaints were that the seat didn't sit up all the way, but they have since fixed that with the newer model.  I got rid the VISTA when I had my second baby because I didn't like the RumbleSeat option. It's advertised as a double stroller, but it isn't.  You can read my full review here:
    http://isaidyousaid.wordpress.com/2009/07/03/lulu-loves-uppababy-vista-stroller/

I was also, embarrasingly, partial to the Graco Snap and Go, when my daughter was in her infant seat. It was so light, easy to maneauver and easily fit into the trunk of my husband's A4 sedan.  I would keep that one in the car, and use the VISTA at home for tooling around town.

Now, I use the Combi twin.  I love that it is small and light, but it has virtuall no basket and the seats are rather flimsy. 

I also have a Chicco umbrella type stroller that I use if I'm just taking one child somewhere. It's no-frills, but it's light and easy to use.

I wish someone would make one perfect stroller, but I have yet to find it!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I think the perfect double stroller would be like the combi twin but accept the Graco infant carseat.  You think Graco would get their act together and make one that wasn't tandem and could take a carseat side-by-side.  Maybe it has to do with the possibility of tipping.  Maybe a lightweight side-by-side isn't possible. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

Thanks for all the great advice ladies!! 

Lemon -I think you're right and I should get a few different types of strollers that will fit my various needs.  Also, probably should just start out with a snap and go since I know I won't be out walking the lake right after the baby is born (although I'd like to believe it will happen sooner than later - DH laughs everytime I talk about it)
    So, I should probably wait to see what works best for DS when he is around :) 

I never ever thought the stroller search would be so tough!