suggestions for an umbrella stroller???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladeeda2. Show ladeeda2's posts

suggestions for an umbrella stroller???

hi all. i have a 9m old baby and am ready to buy an umbrella stroller. any suggestions? things that might be helpful to know about us... we use the stroller outside for walks/hikes alot as well as in stores... right now, we have a snap and go (we love it but he's growing out of it) and a chicco stroller that came with our carseat (we hate this stroller)... and also that our son is a pretty petite little guy. we'd love something durable, that could grow with him and offer enough sun protection and storage... i guess if we were to really dream big, an umbrella stroller that could handle more rugged terain would be awesome.... but perhaps that feature wouldn't make it an umbrella stroller really anymore???... i'm not sure... anyway- any recommendations of umbrella strollers you love would be appreciated!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: suggestions for an umbrella stroller???

I really think your best bet is to go to BabiesRus or similar and try them out. You can check prices, storage, wheel size and find what works for you.Frankly I consider my unbrella just something quick and light to put a baby in for a quick trip into a store. I keep it in the car.
    We have a more sturdy stroller for walks that we keep in the garage.
    Since I have to buy doubles for my twins - I'm not much help with brands, but the single umbrella I got for $35.00 at BRU was great for taking one kid to the doctor or something.
    Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I'd get a cheapy umbrella stroller for the car such as what Miss Lily suggests and invest in a more durable stroller for the walks like a jogger or all-terrain.  Other option - check out the Baby Jogger City Mini - might meet all needs.  The only  "rugged" umbrella might be a heavy-duty Maclaren, but those upper-end Maclarens, not their lighterweight ones, are no lighter to me than some of the heavy regular strollers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I have the Maclaren twin triumph and i hate it. It is hard to fold, and not all that light. I always had a terrible time getting the rain shield on it too. The only thing I liked was that it fit through a standard door. Which is really important for twins.
    Maybe the single ones are better - but I simply can't recommend it myself.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I would get a cheapo umbrella stroller for the trunk of the car (like $15-20) for stores and whatnot and a more rugged stroller for longer walks.  The qualities you want in a stroller don't necessarily coincide with an umbrella stroller.  If they do, they are usually more sturdy and less compact, no longer a real umbrella stroller.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongirl88. Show bostongirl88's posts

I have the Maclaren Triumph for my umbrella stroller and I love it. It's a single. I find mine super easy to fold. It's not the lightest umbrella stroller out there but it serves my purpose (for travel only - and we travel a lot with LO). I have the Baby Trend Expedition LX Jogger for everyday use.

The only thing I would want more from the Triumph is that it doesn't recline as far back as I want, but most umbrella strollers don't anyways so I shouldn't complain.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I have a Maclaren Volo umbrella stroller, and while it is really light, and has a good sun shade, those are its only two features - it doesn't recline, and the under seat storage is moderate. We use it when travelling and for stores, and if I have to take DD on the bus.

If I had it to do over, I would not have spent so much (~$100) on such a minimal stroller. If you plan on using it frequently, I'd look at least for something that reclines and has a tray. 

Also, we've had this stroller since DD was about a year old, and she is now 3.5, and she has fallen asleep in the stroller once - when we were visiting family who didn't let her nap for 4-5 days, then we went to the zoo, where she ran around with her cousin - I think she was falling asleep standing up before we even put her in the stroller. So I would  highly recommend a recline feature.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

This one reclines and gets 4.5 stars and is only $45.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from betty7. Show betty7's posts

We have the Uppa Baby G Luxe and really like it.  It is only 11 lbs and we've traveled with it a lot. I think it's pretty sturdy for an umbrella stroller, but I don't think it would handle super rough terrain. It reclines and it seems very comfy for our LO. It is not inexpensive though. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

We also have the uppababy g-luxe and I do really love it.  It's not cheap, but we did get ours on clearance.  The g-lite is even cheaper, although it doesn't recline.

The reason I'm glad we spent the extra $ is because we use it constantly, many times most days, and our sidewalks around here are really crummy.  It does very well on the crummy sidewalks, and it's okay to go on relatively even/packed grass or dirt for short distances.  It definitely can NOT handle hikes that you mention.
    You could check out the City Mini, but I think it's still not heavy duty enough for real off-roading.  If you're planning on a lot of off-road adventures, I would say spend the $$$ on a stroller for that and get a super cheap umbrella like others mention above.

As a point of comparison, we also used the snap n go for about 9 months.  the g-luxe is way better in terms of smooth ride, easy steering, and not getting stuck on pavement cracks, bumps, and roots.  GL!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladeeda2. Show ladeeda2's posts

thanks for the info... yeah- i figured that i wouldn't be able to get everything i wanted in just one umbrella stroller... ah... one can dream... looks like we'll have to get two... one umbrella stroller for everyday and another heavier duty one for walks... i did have a chance to borrow a uppababy glite from a friend recently so it was funny to me that a few peope specifically mentioned those. i was impressed with how nice it was... sturdy... seemed comfortable for my son... but i had wondered if they made a reclining version... looks like the gluxe might be it... i'll have to look into that one... but any more recommendations for umbrella strollers like the uppababy gluxe would be great! oh- and, recommendations for an all terrain stroller would be great too! (ideally one where you don't need to remove the wheel to close it...)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

We have this http://www.britaxusa.com/strollers/b-nimble for our umbrella stroller. And as ubmrella strollers go we like it. I've taken it over soccer fields with no problem. DD seems comfortable in it. I'm pleased. Storage is always a problem with umbrella strollers. Not sure I've heard anyone rave about the storage in their umbrella stroller. This stroller has infinite relcine options. And we can even put our infant carseat in it and secure it. (it came with the attachment for the infant carrier and a rain cover)

I'm not sure what all the hype for the mcclaren strollers is about. They seem over priced and basic to me.

This is our big stroller http://www.britaxusa.com/strollers/b-ready and I absolutely love it...tons of storage, and zippers on every side of the storage to access it from the front/sides. Absolutely no problem with manuvering around things with this stroller. We only take one wheel off when putting it in DH's trunk-but he has a hybrid and minimal trunk space.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I know I wasn't very positive about the Volo in my previous post, but I will give it credit for being sturdy - We've taken numerous trips (including many flights where it was either gate checked or checked as baggage) and it has remained unscathed. It wouldn't be my choice for doing hiking, and I wish it had more features, but if you need a stroller that can take abuse, this one certainly can. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

FYI - I have a Uppa Baby GLite and love it for the car.  I think it is only 7lbs.  But, it doesn't recline and if I had to do it again, probably would have gotten the gluxe.  I got a discontinued color online from www.babycatalog.com but Uppa Baby is based out of hingham and do sell some refurbished/outlet prices at their factory

Sections
Shortcuts