Switching from formula to cows milk/getting rid of the bottle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beachgal68. Show beachgal68's posts

Switching from formula to cows milk/getting rid of the bottle

Does anyone have any advice for this? My DD will be 1 in a few weeks. Right now, I am slowly mixing whole milk into her formula. So far she has not had any problems with it, but when I tried to switch one of her bottles (4pm bottle) and give it to her in the sippy cup she threw it at me and cried :( She STILL gets 5 bottles a day of about 5-6 ounces each. 6:30am, 9am, 1pm, 4pm, then 7pm. I feel that she should be having less formula/milk, but I am not sure how to do it. She also has 3 meals and a snack too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

Re: Switching from formula to cows milk/getting rid of the bottle

Is she still napping in the afternoon? If you offered her the sippy cup right after her nap, she might have been still sleepy enough to not want to change routine.

Also, I might try different sippy cups, too.  We tried a couple different ones before we found one that DS liked.  The first we tried didn't have a soft enough spout for him; we found one that was more "bottle nipple" like, although still sippy cup shaped and he liked that one the best.  Maybe offer her the milk with dinner, too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

So she throws the sippy cup, just pick it up umpteen times until she figures out that is where the milk is.

Start with serving milk as a beverage with the meal at the table, in the cup.  It's what you do, it's what she should do. It will make more sense to her than having a cup of milk before nap or bed. Get rid of the evening bottle before bed last, since it's probably as much about routine as about nutrition.

If you've got a spout type sippy cup, take out the rubber gasket--the kids have to suck so hard on the thing to get liquid it's like a bottle on steroids...they aren't even close to actually drinking.

Or get the kind that doesn't have a spout but has a slit in the lid of the cup (looks like a travel coffee cup).  Or just get a small cup and put about two tablespoons of milk in it at a time and let her drink from the cup.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from newcarsmelly. Show newcarsmelly's posts

I agree with KMMZ. When I switched my daughter - I used the Born Free drinking cup. It has the more nipple style spout but also has handles and looks more like sippy than bottle. Then we moved to "regular" sippy cups a month or so later. For my DD, morning is always her happiest and most agreeable so you might try in the AM. I guess just try to shoot for the time when she's most happy.

Also I do agree that you just keep giving it back to her. A little tough love of waiting until she's good and thirsty won't hurt either. If she's anything like my DD - she'll do it and then love it! ha!

Don't worry - she'll def. come around! GL!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Have you thought about going from bottle to regular cup?  Sounds nuts, maybe, but I do know people who did it with their first child and repeated the bottle to open cup process for subsequent kids, as well, so it must have worked ok.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

The only good reason for a sippy cup is that it has a lid so there are less spills if you're not at a table. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I would agree w/just keep trying the sippy.  4pm could be a cranky time of day, so maybe try it again earlier in the day?  Trying a sippy w/rubber top that's more similar to a bottle also seems like a good suggestion.  If I remember correctly, DD would get bottles basically with her meals, so the first switch we made was giving her milk in a sippy w/lunch and then the next week we replaced a second bottle w/ a sippy of milk.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Beach - you said in your post you wanted her to have less milk/formula right?  So I would not stress if she throws an occasional sippy cup.  She will very soon realize that this is where the milk is from.  Even if she goes without milk for a couple of days she will be fine . I agree with milk at meal times at this age in general .  Going half and half when she gets bottles sometimes and sippy cups other times may bother her more than just going all the way with sippy cups.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

You've got two questions here so I'll break it down into two answers.

Switching from formula to milk is fairly easy. You can either just pull the plug and switch or you can do it more gradually. I did 75% formula 25% milk for 2 days then 1/2 and 1/2 for two and finally one day of 25% formula 75% milk before going all milk.

My kids were still on 5 bottles a day at 12 months. My pedi scolded me a bit and said, "the longer you wait, the harder it is. Get them off the bottle by 15 months." So I started offering sippy cups except for first thing in the morning and last thing at night. And for a few days they wouldn't drink milk out of a sippy although they had been drinking juice or water for a while. So I only offered milk for a few days. That way it was milk or thirst. They got the hang of it pretty fast. Once they were comfortable with that I dropped the last two bottles. We were bottle free by 13 months.

Finally - maybe do one thing at a time. Make the formula to milk switch first and then start on the sippy cup thing.

And we like Take "n" toss - no valves so they are easier to drink out of. The will leak a bit if you leave them lying around, but other than that, they are great. For leakproof we use Playtex sippys - easy to get and or replace at the grocery store. Pick a brand and stick with it - otherwise you have all sorts of different cups and valves and it's a huge pain.

Good luck. It was actually easier than I thought it would be!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from freerocks. Show freerocks's posts

Does your child need cow milk? Do they get calcium in other forms? You should talk to your Gp or Nutritionist about this first, no need to force a switch if one is not needed, calcium comes in many forms. Many cereals, and other foods are fortified in different vitamins. 

We simple did not offer our child the bottle when they usually had it. It was a confusing time but not a struggle. We did not offer a alternative to breatmilk/formula, the taste is so different. All bottles were gone (out of sight out of mind) within a week. The night bottle was hard but we slowly diminished the amount of breastmilk/formula/water and then took it away. 

Our child now drinks milk (rice, oat, soy, almond) from a straw out of a cup or straight from a cup (water is in a sippie). 

And yes, I am one of those moms that think drinking the breastmilk of a different species is strange to do.