Teeth Brushing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Teeth Brushing

My DD is 12 months and is hating having her teeth brushed.  At first I was able to get her to do it by giving her a tooth brush to hold and "practice" with, and singing a song that I made up.  That worked for a little while and I was able to get the toothbrush in for a few seconds, but now she is back to resisting it.  She pushes the toothbrush away, clamps her mouth down, and starts whining.  I tried a different song last night, but that didn't work.  I resorted to wiping them quickly with a cloth, but that isn't going to work once she has more than 3 teeth!  Also, she is going to have to get used to brushing her teeth at some point.  Any advice?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Teeth Brushing

Here's an older thread about it to kick things off.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

My cousin is a dentist and I was just asking him about this over the weekend, tellling her DD pulls her head away the same way she does when she's refusing food.

He said sit on the floor, put her between your legs and then turn her so her head is on your thigh, and you have her between your legs (one over, one under). tip her back and tickle her a bit, make it fun and get the brush in her mouth. 

He also said a baby's diet is such that it isn't completely dire if they dont get a full brush every time, it's more about forming the habit.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

You guys will think I'm a horrible person, but if my daughter resisted toothbrushing I held her head and arms and crammed the brush into her mouth and scrubbed it around. She HATEd it when I did that. So at this point, all I have to do when faced with an impending tantrum is say, "Do you want to do it the easy way or the hard way?" She either opens her mouth obediantly and lets me brush, or she starts screaming, "EASY WAY!" as my hands go toward her head.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Lemon - I totally don't think you're a horrible person.  I've done the exact same thing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A horrible person would let their kid's teeth rot out because it's easier.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

So perfect that you'd post this - we just started brushing ds's teeth last week! He's 17 months today, but until a few weeks ago, he only had 2 teeth. I didn't feel like it was even worth it to brush at that point. I did make sure he didn't have milk right before he went to bed, though. He has seemed interested when we brush. We got him a little toothbrush and I just used it wet, without the toothpaste. The pedi said we don't necessarily need toothpaste, but if we did, it should be unfloridated. Ds seemed to do okay with it. We'll see how long that lasts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Lemon - I read the old posts.  I am more struck that your DD was incentivized by an ice cube.  That is impressive!!

We started brushing when DD was 6 months.  She has 6 teeth showing now at 9 months.  She went on a strike and since she is so young we let it go for a bit but now are back to it.  She likes to clap for herself so we go crazy when she is cooperative.  Interestingly, at first she will often turn her head but with praise she will usually open her mouth.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Teeth Brushing:
    [QUOTE]Lemon - I read the old posts.  I am more struck that your DD was incentivized by an ice cube.  That is impressive!!
    Posted by luckinlife[/QUOTE]

She still loves ice cubes!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

DS is a bit older (22 months), but I got a great suggestion from one of the moms in my moms group. Use a spin brush. DS has had a Thomas spin brush for about the last 4-5 months. He loves to turn it on, pull it out and watch it spin, etc. Plus, I feel like the spinning helps reach places I might not be able to get at with a regular brush.

That said, it's 50/50 shot whether it's a battle or not. Sometimes he's happy as a clam, other times he kicks and screams. I am like Lemon, and I'll force the issue. I always say, "Trust me. You'd rather have this than a dentist's drill in a couple of years!" Lately, he's been fighting me, but will sit quietly and obediently for daddy. Whatever it takes! We've also been playing a new game where we'll bring down his favorite bath toy but he knows he only gets it after teeth have been brushed. He'll sometimes be more cooperative to get Ducky that much sooner. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Similar experiences- DS is 12 months. he has 8 teeth. I started giving him my toothbrush- he brushes mine while I do his. Although I have had to tolerate with occational nose brushings- it makes it more fun for him... spin brush is a good idea.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Oh boy.  I really need to start doing this.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

I second the spin brush or the Tooth Tunes that play music--they're fun and the song is timed for two minutes.  Or try an egg timer or something that beeps.  And try different flavors of toothpaste, maybe there's one they like better.

Telling the kid not brushing will harm their teeth is one thing, but don't refer to going to the dentist as a punishment. It's scary for the kid and not too flattering for dentist either if you think about it.  "Get in the car, we're going to Dr. Ogre's office, he's going to drill your teeth because you didn't listen to Mommy!  (Bwuaaahaahaa!)"

They'll need to go for checkups anyway and even kids with good diets and brushing habits can get a cavity--our dentist told us that assuming decent hygiene, a lot of it is genetic or developmental luck. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Spin brushes, songs, "baby toothpaste" (they love the taste).
    My brother is a dentist and he says don't stress about it.  They will be fine and they will get the hang of it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Thanks all!  I love the spin brush idea....I had no idea they made those for kids!  She is very intrigued when I use my electric toothbrush, so maybe this will work.  I may buy some baby toothpaste as well to see if that helps.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I think I had a previous post about this, looking for reassurance I wasn't a horrible mother for torturing my child with forced teeth-brushing.  She didn't give in for months and months and months.  We ended up going with the "make Mommy the bad guy" technique.  DH would ask her if she would cooperate and if she did that's great.  If she didn't, he'd call theatrically to me "I think I need your help with teethbrushing tonight.  Can you come hold her down?" and She'd jump up and yell "I'm cooperating!  I'm cooperating!"
    Also, once we told her if she wasted too much time we wouldn't have time to read her a book before bed.  She tested us and we stuck to it and she wailed miserably, bookless, for 20 minutes at bedtime.  Ever since that one time all we have to do is remind her she can't waste time if she wants to have a book at bedtime.  She's like a little marine at bootcamp, standing at attention. 
    But seriously, this finally happened after 9 or 10 months of misery and holding her down while shoving the toothbrush into her screaming mouth.  I don't know if it's possible to make it through without having some of that.