Teething woes - can anyone tell me if this is 'normal'?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Redsoxfan76. Show Redsoxfan76's posts

Teething woes - can anyone tell me if this is 'normal'?

Yes, I know there is no such thing as normal with kids but I didn't want to say "can anyone comiserate?" - that sounds worse to me for some reason...
    Here's my problem: DD (11 mo) has had her two middle bottom teeth for a few months now with no signs of additional teeth appearing. She is always chewing on just about anything (including lint from the laundry room trash, the stopper from the tub, you name it), but no more teeth have come in. Beginning this past Friday she started gagging to the point of choking and, more than a few times, throwing up her bottle when we are trying to feed her. She also started getting this horrible cough, started getting hoarse, and got diarrhea. Slight temp at one point as well. She also had the tell tale drooling.
    I have read about most of these symptoms being indicators of teething, but the throwing up thing and hoarseness has thrown me for a loop. She sounded almost croupy. My husband took her to the pedi yesterday and she confirmed that it is strictly teething. Then on the way home DD started coughing and threw up all over herself and the car seat.

It has gotten to the point where I am holding my breath every time I feed her. Which brings me to my question - has anyone else ever experienced this form of extreme teething? Does anyone have any encouraging stories such as..."and she got a new tooth the next day!"? I just feel so bad for her. I am dying for her to get past it. She is like a totally different kid from my normally bright eyed, bubbly, confident baby. It is really making me (and her, and my DH) stressed and sad.   Thanks in advance for any help...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Re: Teething woes - can anyone tell me if this is 'normal'?

I'm so sorry your DD is having such a hard time with the teething.  All of my kids were/are nightmares with teething.  DD2 is currently working on her molars and has been horribly uncomfortable.  So I can commiserate with you!
    None of my 3 have ever thrown up from teething.  I'm gonna guess it might be from the excess saliva.  I know when I was pregnant I would sometimes get nauseas from too much saliva suddenly in my mouth.  It definitely led to vomiting more than once.  Sorry, I don't have any suggestion on how to help her but teething seems to go on forever but in my experience the extreme symptoms seem to last for only a brief period. 

Don't be surprised of the teething diarrhea leads to a really red raw bum.  I recommend being proactive and slathering with your diaper cream of choice to provide a barrier from the acidic diarrhea. DS is super prone to what I can red bumitis in fact the first time he was teething coincided with starting solids and it was so aweful red raw and bleeding that I just assumed he was allergic to pears.  I retried them maybe 3 months later with no issues and then realized it must have been teething.  Where just coming off a cycle of red bumitis from him getting his eye teeth.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

When one of my friend's kids was teething she spent ALL her vacation that year picking her up from daycare because she vomited so often from teething.  (They had a rule that if a child vomited they had to go home.  The fact that she wasn't sick and clearly not contagious didn't matter.)  She never mentioned diarrhea, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

Yikes, that sounds awful.  I can't commiserate on the teething front, though I'd say don't be afraid to call the pedi back if she doesn't seem to be making an improvement.  A lot of things look like teething, but aren't.  My LO has the same symptoms, but is actually sick with a nasty bug.

When he was little, he had reflux issues, so not quite the same but still barfy.  I found smaller meals tended to stay down better.  Do yo have any better luck with solids?  Just a small bite every few minutes?

Also, does Tylenol seem to help at all?

Good luck?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Redsox - This is NOT teething.  Teething does not cause cough or fever really.  Sounds like she has a significant viral infection and could even be croup.  Sorry to say, I completely disagree with your pedi saying that a cough is from teething. Hoarseness and cough is much more consistent with croup.  I would take her back and have her looked at again - at least to get the right diagnosis.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I agree with luck that it sounds kinda extreme for teething. however, my DS often had a 99-100 fever with teething.

he also had a respiratory thing- not croup- but more of a cold... and threw up a couple of times because of coughing. did the pedi think it was because of the excess saliva? is it possible that she is inhaling it rather than swallowing it- resulting in the coughing and/or vomiting? I would assume that you would see a lot of drool coming out of her mouth as well.  I'm wondering if some crackers or something else that could soak up excess saliva in her belly may help with the throwing up? 
    also, even with the molars- it was a week tops for us- so that may be an easier reason to go back to the pedi (Rather than saying "I think you may have missed something.") but to say- now that we are on day 10, we thought we should bring her in again- because nothing is breaking through...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

I would say call the pedi again...ds was pretty easy but did generate a fever and diaper rash when teething - now I know EVERYONE says fevers are not related to teething but when you are at a 100% hit rate on a fever and a new tooth and red bumm all at the same time for every tooth I would care to disagree.  (My DH also had the red bumm when teething too, weird)
    But the coughing and throwing up seems a bit extreme.  The gagging I guess if there is lots of saliva or she put something funny in her mouth but the actual throwing up seems off.  Maybe see if there is a different pedi in the practice you could get a second opinion from?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I was going to say what LIL said - our pediatrician said that most of those symptoms many people think are teething (rash, etc) are not actually caused by teething.  It sounds like your DD is sick!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Redsoxfan76. Show Redsoxfan76's posts

Thanks everyone. DZ - She had red bummitis on Friday. I am taking her back tomorrow if she is the same. Last night I got home and she was so miserable. She is not sleeping well during the day so she is very sad and cranky in the evening. I was playing with her and she seemed happy (YAY!) then started couging and threw up her dinner (oatmeal).

Kar - our daycare has the same policy.

Micro - see above in regard to solids. She generally keeps them down but last night was an exception.

LIL - the pedi actually did say she sounded 'a little croupy' as well, but said it should go away on its own in a couple days. She had croup a few months ago and this isn't as bad as far as hoarseness and cough. She was up several nights in a row when she had that. Last night she slept like a log for 11.5 hours. But her hoarseness seems to be getting worse, or at least, staying the same. So perhaps it is a cold of some sort?

Winter - yes, she said it is from the excess saliva. She is drooling like a mad dog. We can't keep her bibs dry for more than an hour. But she only has the two bottom teeth and is not really interested in crackers (or any finger foods really) yet.

workingmom and poppy - I think everyone differs on the whole does teething cause fever, rash etc question. My pedi takes the stance that anything that disrupts a baby's normal body activity can cause a fever, because it is the body's nature to try and fight it off. I don't really have an opinion either way.

I guess other than Kar's friend no one has really had a similar experience - so I am starting to think it is more than teething too. I am going back to the pedi tomorrow! She is wonderful and I'm sure will not be offended that I wanted DD to be seen again.

THANK YOU! To all of you. I can't say it made me feel any better but it helps me to see which direction to go from here. :(

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

DD1 would run outrageously high fevers when she was teething, like 102 or higher, for 24-48 hours. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Good luck to you and your poor DD!  Whatever it is, I hope it clears up quickly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Redsoxfan76. Show Redsoxfan76's posts

Just another update - Friday and Saturday she seemed so much better and then yesterday she woke up and her cough is bad again. She lost her lunch yesterday again too. I called the doctor and spoke with one of the nurses who said it is probably viral and to just let it run its course unless she has a fever that cannot be controlled with Tylenol, if she has trouble breathing, and she is still having wet diapers. Since she is still having wet diapers and doesn't have those other symptoms (plus some googling and finding others with similar stories) we just have to wait it out. On one bright note, her tooth is starting to pop through so maybe we are going to get through this soon. It is just so sad to see her like this.
    Thanks again everyone for your input and well wishes. I appreciate it!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It might depend on how sensitive their gag reflex is and the manner in which they stick their hands in their mouths to self-sooth from the pain of teething.  That was my friend's guess about why her DD vomited the whole time, anyway.  They never did find out definitively why her teething caused her to vomit, though.

If it's a bug, I hope she gets over it soon!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

Redsoxdan76, glad things seem to be looking up.  Not to be a negative nellie, but a precautionary tale, my LO had a fever and a cough that sounded pretty innocuous, my doc said it was viral too, after three days of waiting it out I took him in Friday - Pneumonia.  Fast breathing was the primary indicator, good to know for future reference.

Just trust your gut, if something feels wrong, go to the doctor.  I'd rather look crazy and be safe than wait to long.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Redsoxfan76. Show Redsoxfan76's posts

Micro - oh, that is terrible. Poor thing! And scary. I had pneumonia when I was younger and it is no fun. You were right to trust your gut. Just curious - how fast is fast breathing? I know that may be hard to answer but my DD has always been a heavy breather in my eyes and her doc has never mentioned anything when listening to her chest.  

I got a call from daycare yesterday and she had a temp of 101. So I took her back to the pedi. She has a 'really bad ear infection'. This was not her regular pedi (she isn't in the office on Tues mornings). But the other doc assured me she probably did not have it for very long and it was likely caused by fluid from her cold backing up into her ears. One dose of antibiotics and she woke up smiling this morning for the first time in days! She also slept a ton and drank a lot of water yesterday (she threw up twice after we got home from the doc). So hopefully she is on the mend.

You are right though - I am the same way. I actually already called them again today because she still had a low temp after taking tylenol. I am not afraid to 'bother' them at all! :)

Hope your LO is better soon!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

I believe the metric for rapid breathing was more than 45 breaths per minute, but of course check with your doctor if you're concerned.

I'm sorry to hear about the ear infection, but hopefully those antibiotics will knock out anything that's bugging her.

Can't wait until spring!