Things to do in Boston w/18 mo old

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Things to do in Boston w/18 mo old

My SIL and 18 month old niece are visiting for a few days this month.  My SIL has never really visited Boston before (except for our wedding, which didn't really involve the usual sightseeing).  I generally have no trouble showing off Boston to visitors, but I'm not sure what to plan for this one given that her 18 month old will also be coming along.  Any ideas on things to do or places to go? Any caveats for what might be tricky with an 18 month old or what I should plan around?  Thanks in advance!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Things to do in Boston w/18 mo old

Duck tours are fun; they roll down clear windows to make it warmer in the cold months.  A toddler would enjoy going from the road to the water, right?  You need to get tix in advance.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

The aquarium will be just as much fun and probably warmer than a duck tour in Dec, Kar!  lol.  You should be able to get tix or reduced tix from your local library. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I would have suggested the aquarium, but a friend just went there with her 18 month old and she was sorry she did - she just wasn't old enough to make the expense worth it.  Not to pooh-pooh your idea, but, hey, I thought Duck Tours was a good one and you threw a blanket on that - get it?  ;)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I agree with ALF on the Aquarium, warm and lots of places to walk and you can get the free passes at your local library, so there is no pressure to get your money's worth.

We brought my DD (15 months) in to Boston on Friday - it was cold but we bundled her up. She loved the ducks and watching the ice skaters at the Public Garden and she was so interested in looking around and seeing lights, people, doggies and things, smells that she was very happy and content to sit in her carriage and let us shop Newbury Street and have dinner! It was an unexpected treat!

We did give her running breaks out of the carriage at the Common and the hallways at my office.

I think as long as you stay moving and aren't hanging around one place too long, you could see alot of things in Boston that aren't typically kid things.

Of course, there is also the Children's Museum!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

The aquarium and/or the zoo are huge hits for toddlers.  There's also the Children's Museum.

Keep in mind that an 18 month old probably naps for a couple hours in the afternoon and will probably be ready to go after a couple of hours anyway, so don't plan to "get your money's worth" on the cost of admission to these places.  In some cases, a membership will pay for itself after 2 visits in a year, so if you think you might go back at lease once in the next 12 months, a membership isn't a bad idea.  I think the aquarium membership is $85 for one named member + one unnamed guest/visit or two named members.  A one-day adult admission is $23.  Kids under 3 are free.  For $85, you can go as many times as you want for "free."  The math for a zoo membership works out similarly, with kids under 2 being free.  So...something to consider.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

How about the Boston Museum of Science!  The baby can run around in the children discovery center, see butterflies and watch baby chickens hatch!  Here is the link plus you can pick up the duck tour from there.

Another recommendation is the Old trolley tours which will be a little warmer than the duck tours but still lots of fun.

Good luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Kar--out of curiosity, was the 18 month old in the stroller or out?  Being out of the stroller makes all the difference b/c it's hard to see anything from stroller level and getting right up close to the window allows a feeling of interaction with the fish/sea creatures.  You just can't get that if you're sitting in a stroller.

As with everything, interest level in these activities is going to be kid-dependent.  We got an aquarium membership right after the kids turned one as a place to go on hot days (our house doesn't have a/c).  The kids LOVED it then and still love it.  We always check the stroller (free) and focus on the big tank in the middle and let the kids stand on the shelf next to the window and we let them let us know when they're ready to move on.  After we get to the top of the tank, we go down on the "outside" ramps, stopping to see various tanks that the kids show interest in.  If it's not crowded, we let them run down the (long, straight) ramps b/c well, it's fun for them, and it helps to wear them out.  They also love the penguins and seals (sea lions?), so we spend time watching them, too.  There's a jellyfish exhibit downstairs (stairs are inside the shark and ray touch tank exhibit).  That's a nice open area that usually isn't crowded and the kids can run around a little bit if needed without causing too much disturbance.  And it's QUIET, so it's a nice place to go to take a break if the rest of the place is nutty.  Plus, the kids love to watch the jellyfish.  :)   And then we leave after a couple of hours.  Since we have the membership, we don't feel obligated to stay longer than the kids want to/are able to, and we don't feel like we have to cram seeing "everything" into a couple hours. 

Also, last year we went on Christmas Eve morning.  We got there about 15 minutes after it opened and there was almost no one else there.  It was awesome.  Even when we left mid/late morning, it was pleasantly uncrowded.  I don't know if that will hold true this year since Christmas Eve is on a Saturday, but that was a very pleasant surprise for us last year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hm, good question - I wasn't with them, but I'm betting she was in the stroller.  And, definitely, maybe she was cranky that day or something, too.  If more people have great experiences with kids that age there, I'm sure her experience was an anomaly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I'm not sure you really have to plan around what you think an 18 month old will like.  When my kids were 18 months old I could take them anywhere and they thought it was exciting. Heck - they still think going to Target and the Stop & Shop is an adventure.
    So if there is something your friend wants to see that's stroller friendly, go ahead and go.
    I'd say that it's best to do things in the morning and plan to be home for lunch and an afternoon nap.  I was never a fan of letting my kids nap in the stroller - but I know some moms don't mind.
    Have fun!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Thanks ladies!  Maybe I'll suggest one or two explicitly kid oriented activities (aquarium, children's museum), and then see if the mom would also be interested in bringing her daughter along to some non-kid activities (MFA or ICA, Newbury St, North End).  

I like the Old Town trolley idea.  I've done the Duck Tours before, but never the trolley tours.  Would be nice to have the option to get on/off and nice to have a heated trolley.  (I also know my SIL absolutely hates cold whether and has a very loose definition of "cold".)  I take the T everywhere but this might be easier, esp because we won't have use of a car for a couple days when my husband has driven to work.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from msol. Show msol's posts

Definitely the Children's Museum. I took my DS for the first time this past summer when he was around 18-19 months old and he loved it!! Tiring for me, but he had a good time!!

The Stone Zoo has Zoolights the whole month of December. They light up the entire zoo and Santa is there, etc... 5-9pm everyday.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I agree that an 18 month old can be pretty happy doing whatever. My dad lives in Rochester, so when we went to the Museum of Play with DD when she was around 18 months, her favorite activity (in a museum devoted to great kid stuff) was running up and down a ramp - designed to get people from one level to the next in an accesible way - no displays, nothing fancy. My husband and my cousins went to the rest of the museum while I spent literally 45 minutes letting her run up and down that ramp. So don't worry too much about finding a kid friendly activity. I think the Trolley tours might be fun since you can get on and off, and it will be easier transport to "touristy" places than the T, especially with a stroller. Some of the elevators you need to use to get to places like the aquarium are gross - Downtown Crossing sticks in my mind as being really bad, but that might just be because one time I was there it had been used as a urinal.
    But defintely follow your SIL's lead on what the LO can handle. It drives me crazy if I know DD is running out of steam, but since she is still being agreeable, the people I'm with want to keep going, because she is "still OK" I want to get back home before she melts down. My nephew can skip naps and he'll just sleep longer the next morning. My DD needs to nap because she is up within 30 minutes of the same time every day, nap or not, and is a bear to deal with when even a little sleep deprived. Since every kid is different, let your SIL decide what is a good schedule, and be happy to leave more to explore next time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Siena, I took my LO to the MFA and we both enjoyed it.  But it is very kid dependent -- she was not walking yet and she liked being in the stroller and just looking at everything.  Just ask your SIL for her opinion -- if the kid would rather be free, the aquarium or children's museum would be better bets.  (We were at the children's museum at 15 months, and while it will be better when she's older, there were several rooms that we enjoyed a lot.  Even better if the kid can walk.  There is also stroller parking.)

Walking through the common and the public garden is also a great plan.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I guess I hadn't thought about an 18 month old "being free" instead of a stroller.  You can't do that with twins very easily so they don't know that it's an option! :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

The Discovery Museum in Acton is a great spot for toddlers. All of there exibits are hands-on. It is in an old house, so it is a little tight, but they have several different rooms, like a diner, rainbow room, jungle room, bubble room, etc. I have taken my nephew several times. Although, it may be better in the summer as they have a big sand box area and outdoor pirate ship they can play on.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Does your niece like the train?  I have definitely taken the red line from Quincy to Alewife and back in the middle of the day when it's quiet because my daughter loves the train. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Lissa--that's too funny!  I have no idea how she feels about the train, but that's a cute idea.  :)  

Stone Zoo, Discovery Museum--I hadn't thought of those ideas.

The general feedback about the interests and preferences of your toddlers is helpful too.  Thanks a bunch!