Tips for Preparing for Daycare? (pumping, etc.)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: Tips for Preparing for Daycare? (pumping, etc.)

And you don't want her to get TOO into taking bottles either. Apparently some babies start to prefer bottles because it's easier for them to get milk out of a bottle than a breast. The bfing relationship became really important to us when I went back to work, because it was really intimate bonding time after being apart all day and missing each other like crazy.

This is how the last two years have been, by the way. Do this thing, but don't do it too much, but also don't do it too little. And this other, totally contradictory thing? Do that too. But only sometimes. You'll know when. Except when you don't. And by the time you realize you should have done it, it's too late.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from whipsmama. Show whipsmama's posts

My DD was formula fed from day 1 so I can't offer any advice/tips about pumping...but when I read your post the 1st tip I immediately wanted to offer was to get as organized as you possibly can the nights before you drop your DD off at daycare. I had a seperate diaper bag just for daycare that I kept stocked at all times. You will find it is so much easier if you have things ready the night before...you'll get more time with you LO in the morning or just a few extra minutes sleep for yourself if you're prepared. Find out from your potential daycare providers what supplies, if any, you'll need to provide i.e. wipes, changes of clothes and how many, sheets, bibs, etc because every place is different. GL!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

"The daycare I'm visiting today let me know that I could BF when I drop off or pick up if I would like to.  Not sure if that will be necessary, but good to know!"

Sweet G-- I HOPE they will "allow" you to breastfeed your very own baby at their location!  (calming down now...) I would say if you want/need to plop yourself in the rocker/glider at the center and nurse your daughter before you leave in the morning, or when you get there before the long ride home, you'll have several other mothers doing that very same thing!  (or plop down in the middle of the classroom, on the carpet, if you want to, it's all fine with us!)

From the director of a center (that's me) I'd say:

1.  yes, do a transition back to work, but do that the last week before work, no more, because this is your one and only maternity leave for this baby and you shouldn't rush it.  we only need 4 or so days for baby to get used to us, we to her, and you to the concept.  So do it the week before you go back to work, with a few half days and then the last day before you go back have it be 6 hours so you "practice" having her there a 'full' day (the diff. between 6 and 8 hours isn't that much).  During this time, have a pedicure/manicure, go out and buy a few new blouses (unless you're the only woman in the world who can fit back into all her own clothing, in which case you shouldn't admit that as other nursing mothers will KILL you Wink), and enjoy yourself.  And call the center half way through to find out she's doing well, which she will be, but do call anyway so you can relax. 

2. wow, going back to work on a Thurs WOULD be nice, wouldn't it?  You could start the transition back the Thur before, that's fine!

3.  make sure you label, label, label everything.  because every baby girl has the same blanket, same cute spring coat, same little tiny hats, and bibs.  All cute, but hard to tell whose it is.  also, if you're not required to label the bottles in a specific way (I'm VERY specific at our center, we do color-coding), then you should ALSO remember to label the bottle lids because you want to make sure you don't lose those little lids.

4.  yes, only get her to take 1-2 bottles at home, partly because when a baby nurses she really drains your breast(s) and that helps you keep your milk supply up.  if you pump you won't empty out as much, and your supply could deplete.  PLUS, you probably enjoy nursing, so keep on doing what you enjoy in these last few weeks of your leave!  If a baby will easily take a bottle, then she will easily take it all the times she's hungry.

5.  you don't know how much she drinks right now at a nursing session, and that's FINE - don't stress!  Simply bring many bottles of 2 or 3 ozs the first few weeks, so that the center doesn't have to throw out unused bottles - we can always heat up another bottle if your baby seems to need more than the 2 oz bottle, but we HATE (and nursing mothers hate it more) to throw out 3 unused oz of a 5 oz bottle when it's breastmilk.  Now, we WILL keep the bottle if you want us to, but we'll label it and put it back in fridge "take home" and you can feed a bottle of milk that's been half-drunk, but we won't.  (based on breastmilk research, we shouldn't re-warm a bottle because the milk no longer has the nutrients, but MANY parents do it anyway, so perhaps it's not that much of a big deal?  Anyway, if we don't have express permission to do this, we will throw out the undrunk milk after 1 hour of being warmed.  So send small bottles at the beginning until we all know how much your daughter will drink at a feeding, then you can start sending larger bottles as she needs it.  infants don't drink that much at one feeding, anyway. 

6. i'd say you should try to help her learn to fall asleep on her own, vs. while you hold her for an hour.  (not that you've said you do this, Fram, but so many parents do!).  Because we really, really, really cannot hold any baby forever while they sleep.  We have several other babies to care for.  So we can help your daughter fall asleep, we'll rock the crib, the baby, rub the forehead, tummy, whatever, but we can't hold her.  Plus, it's good to help her develop really good sleep habits now, when she's young, vs. having the "put her in the carseat and drive around forever" or "put her in the stroller and push her forever" crutch going on.  Again, we can't do those things! 

7. finally, please know that you are not the only mother to (perhaps) cry when you drop her off, either during the transition or on those first days back to work.  it's hard, but we understand, and we'll try to help your transition back to work be as smooth as possible.  we really understand - I've hugged a few really upset women in my 3 yrs!  and, if you DON'T cry then don't be upset with yourself, not everyone does, it doesn't make you a good/bad mother to do either!

8.  remember to keep drinking your water when you're back at work so you can help keep your supply up! 

9.  know that if you want to call the center and speak directly to the teachers EVERY SINGLE DAY OF YOUR LIFE you can and should do that.  We have some parents who call daily to see how things are going, others who call only when they know their baby had a hard night, is stuffy, getting over a cold, etc.  and some don't call at all.  We're fine with all of it, but you are NOT a burden if you do call daily! 

When you visit a center, spend some time in the classroom observing so you can see how the teachers interact with the babies, and how they soothe them.  Sometimes an infant room seems so hectic because many babies are crying or needing something all at once - if you are in  a room like that, watch and see how the teachers get to everyone and get things back on an even keel.  because they will, by moving calmly and quietly to each baby, or calling to one "I'm changing X I'll be right there to feed you, Y" even tho baby doesn't know exactly what is being said, they do know they are being responded to.

it's hard, but you can do this, Fram!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

What a relief!  I was hoping we would only need to do 1-2 bottles per day.  We'll stick to 1 for a while, but up it to 2 eventually.  Pumping for 4 before I even go back to work just did not sound appealing!  I want to enjoy my time at home while I can.

Thank you for the additional advice, CT.  Some great stuff in there!

I am starting to freak out about daycare (shocker!).  I can't fathom how one person can care for my infant all day, as well as 5 other children.  I don't know how they do it!!  One of the daycares I visited gave me a handout that said the highest risk for SIDS is 2-4 months and another suggested I come for several visits (which you all suggested as well) because she said if an infant is going to die from SIDS at daycare, it's most likely to occur during the first week when the baby is stressed.  I don't want to think about these things!!!

Seriously though... Does anyone's 2-3 month old go down for naps without being rocked, bounced, shushed, and/or swaddled, etc?  I don't think DD is especially fussy, but she typically needs some help going down for naps.  Is that going to be OK??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Fram I think CT meant needing to be held the entire time she is sleeping not just the initial help the baby may need to get to sleep but is then put in the crib. 

CT - Would you recommend the same stuff for a baby going into daycare at 11months?  I'm not so worried about the nursing as the transition for my DS.  Would it still be one week for the transition or would more be better? 

Also, I was wondering (and I will call and ask this but didn't think of it at the time) what kinds of foods do daycares that do provide food tend to give?  I'm worried about frozen chicken nuggets for lunch everyday.  I'm trying to avoid processed food as much as possible (I know it may not be possible all the time).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Tips for Preparing for Daycare? (pumping, etc.):
    [QUOTE]I can't fathom how one person can care for my infant all day, as well as 5 other children.  I don't know how they do it!!  One of the daycares I visited gave me a handout that said the highest risk for SIDS is 2-4 months and another suggested I come for several visits (which you all suggested as well) because she said if an infant is going to die from SIDS at daycare, it's most likely to occur during the first week when the baby is stressed.  I don't want to think about these things!!!
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

I don't know how they do it either, but these are trained professionals with lots of experience. Our babysitter was a preschool teacher and ran a daycare, and she took care of our daughter until 4:30 the day she gave birth -- 5 hours later she had a new baby. We told her to take as long as she wanted with the new baby, but she only wanted a month or so off. Then she was somehow able to take care of our daughter, her son, and a newborn. And she was totally unphased by the whole thing. She's a natural, and she has all kinds of skills and tricks that she's learned over the years.

I don't know if it's typical to give those sorts of SIDS warnings, but I personally would not be psyched if a daycare was telling me that my child might die from being so stressed out about me leaving her there. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence. One likes to think that the minimum service a daycare will provide is keeping the baby alive. But I didn't get too far in my inquiries into daycares, so maybe it's just a thing they all do.

I think the thing to remember when you're looking at places is that most people who go into childcare do so because they really love children. That was something that pleasantly surprised us when we spoke with home daycares and potential sitters -- how loving the women were. We were kind of thinking of them as just doing a job and having the usual resentments and crabbiness involved, and I'm sure they do have those feelings, but there's also a genuine love that they have for the children in their care, and a special bond that forms between them and the babies, that's different from what you get at a regular job.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

The SIDS stuff is definitely disturbing, but also necessary, I think.  You all can tell me to drop DD off in advance, but I'm more likely to do it now that I'm thinking in terms of stress and SIDS!  (I would have done it anyway, I swear, but now I understand just how important it is.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maple76. Show Maple76's posts

Fram - A great topic, thanks for starting this thread.  Good luck with your child care search. I found my search to be both stressful and overwhelming. We visited lots of centers and family day cares. Several suggested that we come in for a visit(s) so that mom and baby would be comfortable, but none mentioned anything about SIDS? Scary!

I hate to admit it, but I'm one of "those" parents that CT refers to. Hoping the experienced moms on this board can help - how does one put a baby down for a nap without holding and rocking for an hour?

DD doesn't seem to take naps unless she is being held and usually after nursing. She is 7 weeks and she will sleep in her crib at night, but not during the day. Every time I set her down she wakes up and screams.

I'm very confused with the philosophy that you can't spoil a baby this young (4th trimester) but how do you teach them to sleep on their own when they don't have self soothing skills?

Any and all help would be appreciated. We've got 6-8 weeks until I have to send DD to daycare and I'm dreading it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi Maple!  Was thinking of you the other day!

Do you swaddle DD during the day (or at night for that matter)?  For a while we only did it at night (no clue why), but now we typically do it for all naps. 

DD often wakes up after 10 minutes, so I pick her up, shush in her ear for a couple minutes, and she goes back to sleep.  Sometimes she wakes up again and I repeat the process again.

DD doesn't exactly have a schedule at almost 9 weeks, but she does tend to get sleepy about an hour after a feeding, so I try to be ready to get her down for a nap.  If she fusses, I'll get her to calm down a bit before trying to wrap her up.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get her to nap when we're not at home.  Whenever we go to MIL's, the whole routine is out the window.  Gotta work on that... or stay home... either one works for me :o)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Maple our DS wouldn't sleep in his crib or bassinet for naps when he was younger so he slept in the swing, or the newborn napper that came with our pack and play.  Have you tried anything like that? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maple76. Show Maple76's posts

She hates the pack and play napper, but the swing looks promising. We just purchased one on Sunday - the Fisher Price snugabunny in lieu of an Easter basket :)

She did not like the bouncy seat, so we held off on getting the swing...but I'm glad we finally did. Yesterday, she was 1 for 2 with my attempts to use it. Thanks for the suggestion!

[QUOTE]Maple our DS wouldn't sleep in his crib or bassinet for naps when he was younger so he slept in the swing, or the newborn napper that came with our pack and play.  Have you tried anything like that? 
    Posted by LiveLoveLearnEnjoy[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maple76. Show Maple76's posts

Hi Fram! I'm here and reading regularly, but rarely posting because it is hard to type with 1 hand :)

We usually only swaddle at night, but not for naps. This evolved because she would fall asleep nursing and I never knew if it would be a brief snooze (10-15 minutes) or a full nap. My attempts to swaddle after she fell asleep would only wake her up and then the
    nap would be lost The result would be that I would just hold her and let her sleep as long as she needed to...clearly, this can't continue at day care.

Re: swaddling...I'm awful at it. I cheat and use the Halo swaddle sacks. This worked for a while, but she seems to be in between sizes. She is getting too big for the newborn sacks and she is swimming in the next size - as a result she is busting out of both regardless of how tight we wrap her. Will this resolve itself when she grows into the next size?

The only pattern with her sleep that I had noticed was that she was starting to sleep through the night 11pm - 6 am...we enjoyed this for about 10 days, maybe 2 wks, but the last 2 nights she woke up because she had busted out of her swaddle. :(

Too funny about not napping at MIL - now you have a nice excuse to stay home.

[QUOTE]Hi Maple!  Was thinking of you the other day! Do you swaddle DD during the day (or at night for that matter)?  For a while we only did it at night (no clue why), but now we typically do it for all naps.  DD often wakes up after 10 minutes, so I pick her up, shush in her ear for a couple minutes, and she goes back to sleep.  [/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Right, I'm sorry, I didn't mean we WOULDN'T hold a baby, just that if the only way your baby will nap is to be held for an hour, we just can't do it.  Who would care for the other children in the room?  BUT we will hold, soothe, shush, feed a bottle, and then as the child is either asleep (less optimal) or getting sleepy we'll place in the crib.  And then we'll rock the crib, or place our hands on baby's tummy and gently rock baby.... until baby falls asleep. 

A 7 week old is a very young baby!  Really, your baby will be different in 6 weeks, it's twice her age!  So soon enough she'll get better about sleeping.  but remember that a baby might sleep many, many shorter naps at these really young ages, then by 3 or 4 months sleep about 3 times per day for 45 mins to 1 hour at each time.  Or not.  All babies are different.

i would say that an 11 month old should do the exact same 5 day transition - nothing faster because, frankly, an 11 month old might have a harder time with this than a 3 month old, since an older baby has strange anxiety and separation anxiety.  Really, with the 3 month old it's usually the parents who are most worried - with the older babies it's both baby and parents.  So I wouldn't rush it.  But you also don't want to spend too much time on a transition.- you gotta p00p or get off the pot and not drag it out for too long.  For an 11 mo old, I'd say for the first 2 days find out what time is less hectic of a drop off time (right before snack?  right after?  At 9 am when all the teachers are there?) and drop off at that time.  Day 1 I'd say leave him/her there only 2 hours (9-11?), then the next 2 days do about 4 hours, then Thurs do 5 hours then Fri do 8 hours. 

If you bring food, make it your child's favorite foods.  If they provide food, find out what they provide - they shoudl have a menu of typical lunch and snacks. 

For the 11 month old, this is NOT the time to get rid of pacifier, lovey, blankie, etc.  Your baby might take 3 or 4 weeks before really relaxing, but won't cry all day or anything.  Still, we can see the difference after being in care for 1 month - they laugh more easily, can roll with the punches if they fall when trying to walk or reaching for something, and really have made friends with the other babies.

Plus, it'll probably take about that time for you to fully trust the teachers, and your baby can tell this, too. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I don't know about you, Maple, but I am constantly experimenting!!  What works one week, no longer works the next week.  She used to sleep in the swing pretty regularly, but now I barely use it.  (Though she did fall asleep in it yesterday.)  With DD, it's worth it to attempt a swaddle even if she will be disrupted.  I think, for her, it results in a much longer nap.

Oh and DD didn't like her bouncy seat either until last week around 8 weeks.  I think either it's too upright for newborns or they don't know how to make it bounce so it's no fun.  Just my theories!  She loves the swing though.

I'm about to check out mass.gov and the EEC site, but wondering if anyone knows where to find the rules for day cares in MA?  I'm really starting to get upset about leaving DD and I think it will make me feel better to see all the rules involved with caring for her.  For example, one provider mentioned that an infant must be in her sight at all times, even when napping.  Sounds difficult to pull off, but very reassuring.

ETA:  http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=edusubtopic&L=5&L0=Home&L1=Pre+K+-+Grade+12&L2=Early+Education+and+Care&L3=Laws%2c+Regulations%2c+and+Policies&L4=2010+Family%2c+Group+and+School+Age+Child+Care+Regulations&sid=Eoedu

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Thanks CT!  I appreciate your feedback!  I have been told about the separation anxiety for older kids. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Helloooo ladies!
    I am thinking of the following plan for easing DD into daycare.  Does it seem like enough to you?  She starts daycare on a Wednesday.

Thursday prior - drop off for one hour
    Friday prior - drop off for two hours, so she can nap there
    Monday prior - drop off for half day (either morning or afternoon, whenever the provider prefers)
    Wednesday - drop off for first full day (ahhhhh!)

She is down to 6 feedings per day.  I'm convinced she is going to suddenly want more and my supply isn't going to be there BUT really I know there is no need to borrow trouble.  We'll deal with that IF it happens!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Sorry to bump my own post again, but I still have questions...

This will probably all change anyway, but lately DD has been sleeping until roughly 7 am.  Before, she was getting up at 5, so I planned to BF around 5, take a shower & get ready, wake her up at 7 to BF, and hit the road.  If she continues to sleep so long, I will only get to BF twice a day once I go back to work.  Did others do this??

There could be days where I feed her immediately when I get home (around 5:45) and then once again before bed, but I don't think that's likely.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE If she continues to sleep so long, I will only get to BF twice a day once I go back to work.  Did others do this?? There could be days where I feed her immediately when I get home (around 5:45) and then once again before bed, but I don't think that's likely.
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

I totally get the urge -- the NEED -- to plan as much as you can before you get back.  Planning makes you feel like you have control and distracts from the creeping dread of having to leave your kid and go back.
    However, don't stress out too much about the sleeping late potentially messing with eating.  Your baby will adjust so that she can nurse more.  Hopefully it won't happen to you, but "reverse cycling" is pretty common and you'll probably notice an increase in feedings while at home (re: at night Frown) for a little while while the baby adjusts. 
    Try to roll with the punches and stay flexible! Good luck!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Of course you're right!  As soon as I posted the second post, I thought to myself that there is nothing I can do about it anyway if she sleeps through her usual early morning feeding. 
    I was curious, though, if anyone else only BFed twice per day after returning to work.  Seems like so little!!  :o(

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Are you worried that BFing only 2X per day will be bad for your supply or bad for your relationship with DD?  I understand your concern totally. It was a huge deal for me too.  But hopefully your DD will adapt to it just fine.  I only go into the office 3 days a week, so my situation is a bit different.  I would nurse early before I left, when I got home and before bed.  I actually woke up DD to nurse before I left, so that's always an option if you feel it's OK and DD is OK with it.  And you will be nursing on the weekends for all her feedings, right?  So it won't be 2X a day everyday. 

It's so hard, I know... good luck on your return!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Once I returned to work (at 10 weeks with DD#1), I only BFed twice a day M-F and all day on Sat and Sun.  DD never had any issue with it.

Keep in mind that all your plans will continually be evolving as your DD grows and changes. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I breastfed to 15 months. By the 12 month mark I was down to 2 feedings at home but no pumping at work because she was off breastmilk at daycare.  I would end up breastfeeding 3 times on the weekends, until I realized if I ever wanted to wean I was going to have to start cutting back.  I loved breastfeeding and must say, a year after weaning, it's one of the major things I look forward to about having another baby in the future.  However, once she got her 1 year molars in (@14 months) it was high time to wean.  I cut her back to just 1 feeding, at night, at around 14 months and then got her off the night feeding entirely at 15 months. 

If I remember correctly, when I was pumping at work and she was younger I probably had 3 feedings a day, one in the morning, one right after work, and one at her bedtime.  It's kind of a blurry, sleep-deprived haze. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I had thought I'd be doing 3 feedings (5am, 7 am, 7pm), so I'm adjusting to the fact that it might only be 2.  Seems crazy!  But I guess the adjusting never stops!  There may be days where she holds out until I get home for a feeding.  We'll see.

Thank you for reminding me about weekends!  I am going to miss spending all of this time with her in my arms.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I nurse once usually at 4:00 a.m., once at 7, pump 2x at work, and then even if DS took a bottle at 5, there's another "hi mommy" nurse around 5:45, and a nurse around 7:30 p.m.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Fram, you might find that you have a DD who welcomes you home with a nursing session too, so you might have 3 in there anyway.  

Sections
Shortcuts