Tips for Toddling

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Tips for Toddling

I am so proud of my little walker, I love how she sticks out her little chest and tummy and proudly marches wherever she goes. 

But I have to say, dealing with the outside world with a toddling baby really kind of stinks. Be it parties at non-baby friendly homes, going out to a restaurant and doing laps around the dining room or going to the mall. 

I'm hoping someone can offer some ideas or wisdom I haven't already heard? My cousin laughed at me kindly at a party last weekend and told me parties were just going to be miserable for the next 18 months. :(

ETA: The parties we attend are usually family parties, just homes where the kids are past the toddling stage.

Here's an example:
    I had the day off today. Given the weather and DH's need for a new iPhone, we went to the mall so DD and I could walk. I wanted DD to be able to get some excercise and have the space to run, I wasn't shopping. But I quickly discovered you can't manage a baby carriage and a toddling baby at the same time. I wound up grabbing my purse (which was unfortunately a handbag), abandoning the carriage and chasing after DD. 

So, note to others. If you are trying to give your toddler the chance to run around, leave the carriage at home. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Re: Tips for Toddling

Some people may disagree... but they do have the "backpacks" with leashes.  The kids think they are wearing a little teddybear or puppy dog backpack and you can confine them to the 3ft radius of the leash attached to the backpack.  Keeping kids safe is not cruel in my mind ... and making sure they don't run off, trip, or otherwise get themselves in trouble during the time it might take to get your wallet out and pay a chashier far outweighs any wierd looks you might get.

http://www.amazon.com/Jeep-90214R-Backpack-Harness-Puppy/dp/B002T44LZU/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1320981203&sr=1-1

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

My oldest is almost 2 and the youngest is almost 1, I do not let them out of the carriage to walk around while I am out (except the grocery store), even if an extra set of hands are there. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Can't let twins toddle so they stay in the carriage.  Mine are 28 months and have never walked in a store - they don't know it's an option.
    So you either chase (wear layers so you can keep cool) or you keep them confined so you can get the chores done.
    Parties?  Don't know - would never take my two to a party - but again - you either chase and don't enjoy yourself or leave the LO with a sitter - or take a sitter with you so she can chase while you talk to grownups.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I agree with missLily and Trouble. WE determine the times that DS#1 can be out of the stroller and walking. For example, we walk to and from daycare. Most of it is on busy city streets so geting out of the stroller is NOT an option. But, when we get to our quiet side street, we will take him out and let him walk the last few yards to our house.

Yup. It's a pain. That's why we don't eat out as much and plan errands very carefully. It's a stage, just like all the others. It won't last forever!

(Adult parties? What are those?? ;)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Last winter when the weather was so bad DH and I actually took the twins mall walking a few times.  We went before the stores opened (usually on a Sunday) and let them run around.  Hardly any people around, stores closed so fewer places to get into trouble - and lots of room to toddle and practice walking.
    And restaurants - last year when they were little we carried them in, held them while the table was set up with 2 high chairs and plopped them right in.  No walking where they could pull something off a nearby table or get trampled by a waiter carrying a big tray. Now we hold their hands and let them walk, but they are almost 2 1/2.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

We are lucky that most of the houses we go to are already set up for the 3 and younger crew.  At few places that aren't we've been known to bring our own gates and rearrange low lying breakables. 

This past summer when we had a couple of friend's kids bday parties, we took our 3 y/o DD who needs minimal supervision and left the 10 month old twins with grandparents so we could actually talk to friends we hadn't seen in 6 months.  We have our Friendsgiving (a Thanksgiving prelude we've done with friends since our college days) and DH is still making a play to leave the babies (at least one) at home 'cuz it would be so much easier.  He's not wrong but some of our friend haven't ever met the twins and it's time.  :-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

When DS first started walking, I did get a backpack with a leash. I used it when it was just the two of out at the mall or when there was a reall danger, such as a parade. I think it allowed him a lot of freedom from the carriage. 

Now at 2 1/2, we have strict rules for which store require a ride (ie shopping cart).  For example, home depot with mum and dad, he can walk, but Target or the grocery store with mum means he has to ride no matter how must he fusses.  I was surprised when I realized he really knew the difference!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

we only have one- about the same age as yours- and really, we only allow the walking in public to occur when we are all together. One of us carries the stuff, and the other holds hands with DS. He understands he goes right in the carriage if he isn't holding hands with us.   when we are in the mall, one walks with him outside the shops while the other one shops. we really haven't found a way to do it without 2 of us- even though he will stay close, he winds up tripping over stuff.

as far as the party thing... we have struggled with the same issues. in our families, DS is required to attend, it isn't really an option to leave him with a sitter. But we have gotten more strict about it- we refuse party invites/dinner invitations from those with pets (particularly those who are big enough to eat DS or similar) or those with too much expensive stuff that he can damage.  Instead we invite them to our house. we actually just spent two weeks trying to navigate a time for Christmas where most of both sides could come over to our house.  for dinner parties (less people, but still not safe), we do the same 1 w/kid thing and bring a pile of his own toys. that way- sometimes- we can sit on the floor where everyone is sitting and play

but in short- I hear you! and since we are TTC... I keep wondering how I do this while pregnant- it totally kills my back to bend over like that. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

It's hard when they are at the early toddling stage, but this was the time I introduced DD to a few rules - If she was walking she either had on her puppy backpack (leash) and I held the tail, or she had to walk holding the stroller/cart. Since she loves to help push, that wasn't too hard to enforce. If she refused to cooperate, it was back into the stroller or cart (and those straps must be on tightly, or you might have a LO launching out of the cart/stroller in protest!) It was also the time I introduced the ALWAYS hold hands (or be carried) in a parking lot rule. 

As far as parties go, I try and let DD have some freedom to explore - I find that most people keep an eye on toddlers in the vicinity. When we are with DHs family, there are about 6-7 kids in the 0-5 range, with the numbers increasing every year, so it is a pretty relaxed free for all, with most everyone looking out for all the kids. Unfortunately they all live in San Antonio, so we only see them once a year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My mom used a harness on me because it gave me some mobility, didn't make me hold my arm up to hold her hand (which hurt my shoulder), and allowed both of my hands to be free.  I don't understand the uproar "out there" about those things, but if I ever have a toddler I fully expect to use one, too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Stores: it depends on the store, how busy and what I need to get done but mostly I try to keep ds in the backpack, stroller or carraige. I like having the backpack option as he feels he is being held, easier to talk to him than the stroller and I can leave the carraige to go where the carraige is too big or too many people. 
    As for parties, ML I am assuming you mean daytime type parties at friends or families.  I bring him and we all take turns watching him.  We recently went to dh ex-boss's and she even spent time holding his hand while he explored the house I was at first mortified by his determination to examine the rooms but her and her husband loved it.  We do a lot of family parties in homes where there have not been little kids for years but I would never think of not bringing them as it would suck for me to stay home and I have always found that it is good for kids to be around lots of different people and places.  I do spend lots of time redirecting though so no it is no longer a party of gabbing around the kitchen with a glass of wine in hand but it is fun in its own way.

Sections
Shortcuts