Toddler Bed transition - HELP

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Toddler Bed transition - HELP

So DD fell out of the crib the other day. Landed right on her head - wearing a sleepsack too.  We have sleigh cribs so we turned them around so the taller part was in front.  Now my 22 month old twins have figured out how to climb from one crib to the other.  I'm afraid if I pull them apart they will simply climb out - although there is one end where they could do that now and they haven't...yet.
    I called the doctor and he said "absolutely not" to the crib tents.  He had a "crib tent tragedy" with a patient - wouldn't elaborate - but really, I didn't need to hear more.
    So he said - take everything out that they can climb on, childproof everything else, put a gate on the door and convert to the toddler rail.
    I'm practically in tears about this.  I realize there is nothing I can do, but I'm not ready for them to be able to get out of their beds.  I posted on the Mother of Twins website and everyone said to get the crib tents (not an option, after the call to the doctor my DH said NO).
    Anyone out there successfully transition their kids to toddler beds around age two? Am I every going to sleep again?
    Help!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

Re: Toddler Bed transition - HELP

We transitioned my daughter to a twin bed at 24 months and it was fine.  We always had the twin bed in her room and before we moved her, we made sure to spend lots of time on that bed, reading before bed, etc.  then we just said, OK, it's time to sleep in this bed.  We took the crib out of her room, put the rail up, put a gate at the door, made sure the rest fof her room was proofed, and all was good.  the first few nights, we checked on her often, and then realized she was fine.  She fell out once, after about 2 months.  We picked her up, held her, and all was fine.  I wouldn't make a big deal about it, just do it...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ElmiraGulch. Show ElmiraGulch's posts

My child was moved to a twin bed at about the same age.  We set up the bed, introduced it as a new thing to do, and that was it. We did not use a rail on the bed or a gate on the room because of negative family history with both objects.  We do have a gate at the top of the stairs and our bedrooms have doors that close.  We didn't have any trouble with the child falling out of bed or wandering the house. 

I have noticed that my cousin's twins tend to get in to more trouble when left alone.  She moved their clothes dresser to the hallway when they were first moved to beds to stop them from playing in the clean clothes.  Once the novelty wore off, the dresser moved back in.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

I had panic attacks about what my then 2 yo DD would do when we moved her into a big girl bed (we skipped the toddler bed since she was almost as long as the crib mattress at 2) last summer but we need the crib for one of the twins who were arriving in October and I didn't want her to associate the babies with her having to move out of HER crib.

In the end it was no big deal.  It took her a couple of months to even realize she could get out of bed.

We attached the dresser and armoire to the wall and added a child/adult proof door knob thingy to the inside of her door.  We keep the gate at the top of the stairs and the bathroom door closed but she has never even tried to get out of the room a year later.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Thanks everyone.  I feel a little better.  I'll let you know how it goes.
    My DH says I panic at every phase.  Probably right - I shouldn't worry until I have a night of squealing with delight while they dance around their bedroom. :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

The first time my son climbed out of his bed--only a couple months ago, I freaked out.  I couldn't fathom putting them in beds b/c I knew it would be an all-out disaster.  We have PeaPod travel beds, so we moved the kids to those for that day's naptime in order to keep them contained (they're like little pop-up tents, they go on the floor, and the zippers can be secured with a twist-tie, and the kids love them) and again for bedtime that night.  The next day they were at my mothers and made no attempts to climb out of the pack 'n' plays.  So, that night we put them back in their cribs with a "wait and see" attitude.  DS stayed put and he hasn't climbed out without our endorsement/supervision since.

I think one option would be to teach your daughter to climb out safely.  My DS is quite agile in getting out of the crib and dropped lightly to his feet (at the time I almost wished he had gotten bumped or bruised so he wouldn't be so eager to try it again).  Since your DD hurt herself, that may be a big deterrent to her for climbing out again, but at least if you teach her to climb out safely, you won't have the worry of her hurting herself again.  BUT, like my son (and I've heard MANY similar stories), she may not try it again now that she knows she can do it.

I know many people successfully transfer their kids to beds way-before age 3, but there's something brain-development-wise that kicks in around 3 that gives kids the impulse-control to stay in their beds rather than testing the limits of getting up.  And I KNOW what a disaster it would be if my kids were in the same room and in beds right now, so I TOTALLY sympathize with your situation.  As it is, any time I'm in their room with them and doing something like changing sheets and have my back turned for a second, they're right into the dressers pulling out the clothes.

So, I guess what I'm saying is don't panic, yet.  If you haven't already converted the cribs, teach your daughter to climb out safely, and then take a wait-and-see approach.  You may be pleasantly surprised!

And, if you've already converted the cribs, let us know how it goes.  I don't know if you know about the Good Nite Lite (www.goodnitelite.com), but that might help your kids understand when it's ok to get up and when they need to stay in bed.  We got one a month or so ago and it's been a big hit and the kids know when the moon is out they are supposed to go to sleep, but if the sun is out they can call to us to get out of their cribs.  Highly highly recommend!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Thanks Daisy - but if she can climb out of the crib "safely" I might as well put up the toddler rail so she can get out safely without the fear that she will fall.
    Last night - instead of climbing over into her brother's crib, she was climbing up and trying to stand on the rail so I think we've got to convert.
    I'm wondering what people did before crib tents - I can only assume they simply converted to a bed.  I'd ask my mom, but she'd tell me to go get the tents.  She thinks most of this "safety" stuff is nonsense. :(

And I must say - it's the first time I've been dissapointed by my MOT group.  So many said, "Just get the tents - they are safe." After my doctor said, "If you have good climbers, they can be a real problem" I don't think I'd ever sleep a wink thinking they were getting tangled in the mesh or something.
    The Pack & Play isn't going to work anymore either - my DS launched himself out of one yesterday when he was in a timeout...for climbing!
    ...it's like living with two monkeys sometimes. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My son got out of his crib at around 2 at that time we went with a Toddler bed and I just put one of those child proof enclosures on the door.  The monitor was still in there so I could hear him in the morning.  I did screw the changing table and the dresser to the wall. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

We are going through this now with DD who is 2.4.  Sorry but its been a nightmare for us.  DD was a champ in the crib.  Never woke up, went to bed pretty good, and at a decent time.  On easter sunday she jumped out during her nap and that was the end.  We had a twin mattress, put it on the floor, made a big deal, yadda yadda yadda.  Well she would not fall asleep in it, or stay in it all night.  A friend gave us a Cars toddler bed which we thought would help since she loves that movie and no such luck.  Since the move she falls asleep in our bed, between 9 and 10, we move her to the bed, and then she walks into our room sometime in the early morning and sleeps with us the remainder of the night.  I know this is not good, but I dont even know what to do to fix it.  We have tried everything.  I am freaking out because DS is due to arrive in less than 10 weeks and I cant have this going on. 

DD has been the BEST at transitioning at mostly everything.  This has been pretty diffucult for us.  I know its our fault for the most part.  Im 8 months pregnant and need my sleep so as long as she is sleeping I dont care where she is.  Its bad and I know it is. 

Anyway, we are not having luck with this, hope it will go smoother for you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

We moved DD out of her crib to a toddler bed at 24 mo because DS wa on the way, she did great, no issues, and she's now nearing 3.5.  A MOT friend of mine had a similar problem to what you described (though it was her DS who was the climber) and she used the tent for him... didn't take his sister long to figure out how to let him out :)

I'm no twins expert but it seems they want to be togeter, or at least have the option :)

Good luck with the toddler beds!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Quad girl - I'm so sorry you are having such a bad time with the conversion.  I was looking in my Ferber book last night and he says to childproof the room and get a babygate.  He says it basically makes the whole room the crib.  Then you proceed with his system of checking at longer and longer intervals.  Of course the kids in the book responded in 3-7 days.  As Daisy will attest when sleeptraining - that's not always the case.  It may be worth a shot.
    Or...put her back in the crib and go get another one for your new arrival.  You could get a gently used one at Kid to Kid in Natick or I hear Ikea has cribs for about $100.
    Anyway - you're going to have to do something about the co-sleeping or it's going to get really crowded when #2 arrives.
    Best of luck.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Quad, you could sleep next to her bed for a couple of nights so she feels more comfortable in the new arrangement. And, like Misslily said, when we were considering whether or not to put DD back in her crib a month ago (she was on a floor bed - until she realized she could get off the mattress) we were also given the option of putting up a gate to keep her in her room, but that required a lot of babyproofing so we'd know she'd be safe if she started wandering in her room.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I don't know if I have much help to offer.  I know all the books recommend keeping kids in cribs for a long time, as long as possible.  I know having two makes it much more complicated because they can get each other riled up.  I know keeping them in toddler beds is even harder if they want to get out.  BUT
    Before I knew all this (I only read it just recently on the boards and a book that I finally had time to actch up on) I had an 18 month old who was climbing out of her crib.  We put the crib in the center of the room, an island with nothing, and she'd get herself half out.  Her sippy cup of water would fall out and she'd decide to climb and get it.  So I did what it turns out all the experts say to avoid because I didn't know any better and I just took her to IKEA, got a toddler bed that extends to a twin, and let her pick out new sheets and a comforter.  She was so thrilled with her new bed and blankets she would ask to go to bed early.  We made sure everything in her room was extremely kid-proofed (I know, not always an option), put a gate across the doorway, and kept the door closed.  We haven't had any problems.  There were two days at first I went in and she was asleep on her changing pad on the floor, all snuggled up like she napping on her mat at daycare.  That was the first week though.  Now she doesn't even get out of bed in the morning until I come in and get her.  She just yells for me.  We had a little bit of trouble with her naps at first but we hadn't disassembled the crib yet so we used it as a threat and told her if she didn't stay in her bed when we told her she was going back in the crib like a baby and she wouldn't be able to keep her big girl animal blanket or big girl sheets. 
    This might not be the solution for you.  But it might not be so horrible as all the books say if you switch to a bed.
    I know for me, if she sleeps on the floor it's not a big deal.  I know she's childproofed and safe in there.  I couldn't sleep worrying she was going to smash her head on the floor trying to get out of her crib. 
    The idea of crib tents freaks me out. 
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We had a similar experience to lissa's -- I think that getting the kid to pick her own stuff out is key (or at least letting her THINK she's picking it out).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Thanks for all the suggestions.  We let her pick out the bedding and she helped me put on.  She loves to be on it, just not sleep on it.

I did get her to nap in there once by shutting the bedroom door  but I felt bad.  Is that ok to lock her in there?  She eventually fell asleep on the floor with her head on the bed. 

We wanted her to be in the crib as long as possible but once she got out once, she never stayed in again.  She got out with no problems but I did not want her to hurt herself by trying. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I have lots of books that say to close or lock the door.  One suggests turning the door knob so the lock is on the outside.  It's the same as putting up the babygate.  I think it's fine to lock them in for purposes of sleep training.  And don't feel bad about at least shutting the door.  I shut the door on my twins for naps and nighttime.  Always have.  Otherwise they watch to see if we are walking around out in the hall. I think that your DD has retrained you to let her come into your bed.  Kids are crafty that way.  Just keep repeating the mantra my overnight nurse gave me when my twins were born, "Mommy's in charge."
    Good luck Quad!
    and Lissafro - love your story.  Those posts give me hope that it won't be too bad when we take the plunge.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

We just transitioned our daughter on her 3rd birthday. She wasn't too interested in climbing out of her crib (unless she was righteously pissed off at us) and funny enough, won't get out of her bed now either, even though it's only like...4" off the floor.

We took her to pick her own sheets and comforter, and then let her pick her bed at IKEA. She tested a couple by jumping on them (they must've loved us. I felt bad about that.), picked the one she wanted, and "helped" assemble it when we got it home.

We haven't had a single issue at all since. She loves her bed. It's a twin (toddler beds are a waste of money in my opinion), but very low to the floor.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I don't think you should feel bad about closing the door.  l put the gate up as a deterrent/second layer of defense but if it were just the gate up DD would not have trouble getting over it if she were mad.  She has trouble with doorknobs.  She can sometimes get them open but she usually has trouble.  When we potty train we're eventually going to have to fence off the top of the stairs and make a babygate corridor between her room and the bathroom but I figure it will be a while before she's ready to try to be without a diaper at night.  We have trouble in our house because it is old and settled and not everything's square.  We've had issues with gates not being totally flush to the doorjam all the way up on one side because the doorway is slightly crooked.  This is all her little vise-grip fingers need to somehow pry the gate off the door, when she's determined. 
    I'm rambling.
    Anyway, I don't feel bad about closing the door.  Just tell yourself she's less likely to overhear you and feel like she's missing out on the fun.  You will be able to hear her if you need to with an intercom.  Plus I like having my own door closed at night so I for some reason assume she must feel good when her door is closed too?  Now that I type it I realize it's weird to think that, but whatever. 
    The key is the room has to be totally babyproofed.  Shelves must be bolted to the wall, the outlet covers have to be the actually kid-proof ones, windows and shades need to be babysafe, etc.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I don't know why anyone would feel badly about closing the door. We've always kept our daughter's door closed. We have these wretched antique glass doorknobs that my husband and I can barely turn (and that sometimes just fall off the door without anyone touching them) so she can't open the door herself. Not that she's tried.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

We moved DD to a bed at 2 and it had gone okay.  She loves her bed but getting her to go to sleep is a challenge.  She gets up and down over and over for at least an hour, it is exhausting, I think she thinks she is missing out on something.  We have a gate at her doorway and that has helped somewhat.   Once she is asleep she does great, its just getting her to sleep that is the issue. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: Toddler Bed transition - UPDATE

Isn't it funny what some can do and some can't?  My 22 month old son has been able to turn a door knob and open a door since he was 18 months old.  He even ripped off one of those "baby safe" door knob covers the other day.  So I've had to use hook and eye locks on the door to the mudroom, the cleaning supply closet and the basement.
    But - thankfully - he's never tried to climb a gate. :)

KT75 - I saw an episode of Supernanny with your problem.  Nanny had the mom do the bedtime routine and then when DD kept getting up she simply put her back in the bed without saying anything.  First time it's "Bedtime honey", 2nd time it's simply "bedtime" and after that you don't say anything for however many times it takes.  I guess once they stop getting your attention they give up the game.  Like all the techniques, it takes a few days to work.  Like all the techniques - I have no idea if it will work for you, but it may be worth trying for a week or so.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I don't know if this would work for anyone else, but when my daughter objects to going to bed I talk to her about what awesome dreams she could have, and how she can fly through the air and stuff like that. Once she hears how great the dreams will be she wants to fall asleep as soon as possible. And then in the morning I get to hear about the dreams which is FASCINATING. Today she said that a unicorn came to her house but couldn't eat any crackers. So she flew beside him to a rainbow and got a bunch of pink and yellow flowers for mommy, and then she ran really fast and gave them to mommy and mommy was happy. FASCINATING. Why can't the unicorn have any crackers?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Toddler Bed transition - HELP:
    [QUOTE]Isn't it funny what some can do and some can't?  My 22 month old son has been able to turn a door knob and open a door since he was 18 months old.
    Posted by misslily[/QUOTE]

Nobody can turn our door knobs. They're these stupid things: http://www.historichouseparts.com/images/VDK0921-04.JPG

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Holy **** they're selling those for $85/pair. We could get all new doors for that!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Hey Lemon - maybe you should take off your doorknobs and sell them to an antiques dealer!  I bet you could get some good money for them. There are people that love that period stuff. :)
    I can't open half the doors in my house because of the plastic childproof covers my DH has put everywhere.  If there is even a hint of lotion on your hands, you're sunk.
    BTW Lemon - I wish I had the imagination you have.  I love your ideas. Telling your DD what wonderful dreams she will have.  Can't wait until mine can talk a little more and I can hear stories of non-cracker eating unicorns too!