Toddler Constipation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Toddler Constipation

So my toddler tends to constipate easily it seems.  We've cut back on her milk consumption in the hopes that it will help the current problem.  We cut out bananas back in the day and she eats plenty of fruit and a decent amount of veggies every day.  We replaced 2 sippies of milk with 1 of plum juice/water and one of apple juice/water.  Originally I didn't want her to drink as much juice as that, but she won't drink as much plain water so I want to make sure that she's hydrated enough.

We try to avoid bread and rice for the most part, but she does get some of this at daycare (carb products, english muffins/crackers etc.).  I've heard conflicting things about applesauce, so I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about that.  She really likes yogurt and cheese which is why we're cutting back the milk again b/c I think that she may be getting too much dairy.  

Anyone have any other good advice regarding what to do?  I'm not interested in medicine/etc. unless necessary.  In that case we'll go to the pediatrician.  The pedi currently says that we should treat it with diet, but I'm looking to see if anyone has any true-tested foods out there!  Prune juice is nasty to her which is why we go with the plum juice.  

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

Re: Toddler Constipation

Mangoes have a natural laxative effect. 

Also prunes, dried apricots and raisins.  Would she eat prunes?  Is it just the juice she doesn't like?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Does she like oatmeal?  If so, try giving her the high fiber oatmeal with some berries on top.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Thanks for the suggestions!  We actually already only eat the Ronzoni Smart Taste and she won't eat much of a Fiber One bar (we've tried that one too).  She also hates prunes and won't eat raisins.  She likes fresh plums and apricots, so I'll have to try those along with mangoes.  I'll have to try oatmeal with her again, she used to like it, but now she pretty much refuses it.  She's a one-food-at-a-time type girl, so she will only eat something like oatmeal without berries/nuts etc.  

I'll try oatmeal tomorrow, but my guess is that I'll be wearing oatmeal to work tomorrow!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Re: Oatmeal - you can make it other colors with a bit of food coloring or those sugar crystals you put on Xmas cookies - doesn't take much to turn it a nice shade of pink :)  DD loves her oatmeal and usually with just a bit of cinnamon, but got a great charge out of having pink oatmeal on her birthday!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

What about grapes and craisins?  There are other Fiber One products out there too like pop tarts and cereal.  Also, have you tried the probiotic yogurt?  We go through this with my 5 yo.  He is currently taking Miralax everyday for a month.  I had a post about it and got some great suggestions.  http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a982ab641-9368-4d63-9123-280cf0ac364aForum%3aed6a8439-b984-4a2f-8c37-f99dbf2e33daDiscussion%3a9bfa8136-6e92-4fc1-ba06-061d577762de

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sounds like a great diet; do you find any difference when you decrease the milk?  If not, it might not be a diet issue at all.  Endocrinology might have something to do with it since hormones have a lot to do with stool quality.  And, so does exercise.  Is she getting enough physical activity to "move things along"?  Or, is she trying to go often enough?  I used to hold it in 'cause I was too busy to bother, and then I'd get constipated, or so I hear from my mom.

What you are doing in the kitchen sounds perfect so I'd investigate possible other causes and remedies.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc428. Show jc428's posts

My four year old son has 2 four ounce cups of organic chocolate soy milk per day---it works like a charm! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

DD also had constipation issues since the day she  was born.  While drinking formula, we put prune juice in every bottle.   Since being on milk it seems to be better but not perfect.  About once a week we put probiotcs in her morning milk.  The doctor wanted us to try that first before any medicine.   That works like a charm.  We tried changing her diet but that did not work.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, probiotics is a great thing to try!  There's something more going on with this OP's child than not getting enough fiber; the diet she describes is already very fiber rich, balanced, and healthy from every perspective.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

We actually were buying probiotic stonyfield farm yogurt which she loved.  That seems to help.  I think that she just is overly sensitive to dairy and too much milk seems to be the culprit.  Since we cut back on milk 2 days ago she's been pooping pretty much every day without incident.  Guess I should have just kept nursing her longer!  I'm blaming the cows.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

There was a thread on this earlier with lots of advice, I load DS up on yogurt when things start getting to look like rabbit pellets and it works well.  We also used a small (1/4) dose of Mirelax which works great and is tasteless/oderless and better than psyllium husk (like in fibercon, etc).  It is a polymer which pulls water into the intestines so it acts directly in the digestive system and not on the body's chemistry.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Just curious - how do you know that she's constipated? Do you see her trying to have a bm and its difficult for her, or are you judging by the # of times she has a bm?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

By the way, the probiotics in yogurt are far under those of probiotic powder.  GNC carries plain probiotic that you can mix with juice, formula, etc.  Of course, that eliminates needing to feed dairy to get them, too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from amor. Show amor's posts

Avocado....I didn't believe my mother until I saw it myself with my boy now 11 mo. She may not like it at first, but you can mash it up with some olive oil, lemon.....bicycle her legs and maybe a little tummy massage every morning/night 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ja-dee. Show ja-dee's posts

Have you tried White Grape Juice???  That always helped my kids.

Another thing I would do is; I used to add about 1 or 2 oz of prune juice  to my kids formula.  But my kids are both now toddlers and on Milk... so  I am not sure how that would be mixed with Milk. But I cannot imagine it being too much different than the mix with formula.. 6 to one half dozen the other.. So maybe?!
    My daycare insists that applejuice can be used  for constipation too but, like you, I have also heard the opposite. 

Sections
Shortcuts