Toddler Games?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Toddler Games?

DD's birthday party is tomorrow and so far, I've not come up with any games for the kiddos to play... orginally I had planned to have some space in our semi finished basement available for them to run around, but it didn't happen, so now I'm expecting 6-8 kids aged 2-3.5 and don't have an activity planned for them!  Last year, I had them trace themselves on big pieces of paper and then had stickers and markers and stuff for them to color them in, it was a big hit (I hung them on the wall)  I don't want/need to overschedule them, but wondering if anyone has an idea for an activity or two?  It's a purple party, if that gives you any ideas...

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Re: Toddler Games?

Hi, at DD birthday party, I had a bunch of arts and crafts activities, Coloring books, stickers, construction paper.  The main creation was make your own Frames.  I got them from Orinetal Trading.  They come with all the peices and they have double sided tape so no glue necessary.  They have differeant themes. We did a snowflake theme for the winter.  They are really cute and fun for the kids becuase they can design there own. 

Here is the link, they are pretty afordable to!

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/search/processRequest.do?Ntt=frames&requestURI=searchMain&Ntk=all&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&N=0

Sorry, I just noticed the party is tomorrow.  The frames from there obviously will not work, but maybe a craft store would have the same craft.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

What about decorating cupcakes/cookies? Or you can do the tracing thing again. Plaster molds of hands/feet?

Games: obstacle courses. this will sound weird, but we used to tie a string up from one end of room to the other, and put a small hole in the bottom of a paper cup and hang it on the string and have contests to see who could blow the cup across the room/space faster. It was pretty fun, and even the smaller kids could try.

I'm a fan of balloons and open space for parties, let the kids run.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Do kids play pin the tail on the donkey these days?   If purple is the theme, you could do pin the smile on Barney...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Kids won't understand Pin the X on the Y as a competitive game.  I watched my kid's kindergarten class do Pin the Nose on the Snowman and all the kids thought the purpose was to coach the blindfolded kid to put it in the right place and shouted directions.

In fact, kids this age will have trouble with anything competitive so don't make it a contest and heaven forbid do not have a prize.

Art projects and cookie decorating are best.  Those Foamies sticker kits are fun and you can get packs of 10 or 12.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I have a bag of 'purple prizes' so everyone gets one regardless of what we do for games... (see, I am not totally unprepared!)  I wish I had room to let them run around, I had planned freeze dance or some version of musical chairs but I think my upstairs is too small.  Blowing thew cup or pin the tail might work... I don't really need or want to declare a winner anyway, just an activity

keep em coming ladies... looks like I may be heading to Michaels later, which I'd rather not do since I need to also bake a purple cake!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, I think pin the tail can just be a fun, non-competitive activity.  They won't notice there's no point! ;)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from momofatoddler. Show momofatoddler's posts

We decorated cookies at my daughter's 2nd birthday party. (Sugar cookies with premade tubes of icing and a variety of small candies).  It was funny. It didn't occur to me that the kids would eat the candies before they made it to the cookies, but it was a party afterall!

I also put out supplies for coloring, but the kids weren't too focused on it.  Likewise you could put out play-doh.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

so I spent lunch time surfing the web for a bunch of purple pictures and thought I might print and post them around the house for a toddler-speed scavenger hunt... but alas the purple printer ... oi, the color printer at the office is on the fritz, so now I'm hoping I have enough ink in the one at home!

Anyone know where one might procure a large qty of purple play-doh on short notice???  oh wait, maybe I can make it tonight... hmmm, sleep, what's sleep!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

How about "hit the other kid and cry" or "eat the thing that fell on the floor?" Those are great games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Staples or Office Max should be able to print things for you quickly!

get some good music and do simon says (probably a lot like herding cats with toddlers).

Make puppets out of brown lunch bags-glue sticks and fuzzy stuff, yarn, etc and you're good to go.

How long is the party? Cake and presents can take up a lot of time...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

lemon cracking us up as usual... party is just a couple of hours, and includes snack and cake, gonna wait to do the presents after everyone leaves as it tends to be chaos...Will definitely be doing some party-dancing toddler style... I think we have a Wiggles - Wiggl-y party CD that ought to do the trick...

wish me luck!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

With kids this age they'll probably have fun just hanging out and talking and playing weird babbly made-up games with each other.  You could probably throw a laundry basket or two in the room with a pile of rolled-up socks and have them make up a game and they'd be happy.

Art supplies sound great too.  If you have enough paper grocery bags saved from trips to the store you could give each kid a paper bag and a small box of crayons and have them decorate the bags the way they see fit. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Canuk hope the party went well! Update us and let us know!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Purple Party was a success!

I made a bunch of purple play-doh and had that set up for them to play with as they arrived.  When some kids started to move on from that I sent them on the purple scavenger hunt (I had about 20 pics of purple things printed on paper and posted thruout the livingroom and kitchen/dining room)  The 3 year olds liked this, the younger kids didn't get it, but had fun running around after the big kids... I let them each pick a purple prize and then cut immediately to purple snack time so everyone calmed down for that... then let them play with the toys and whatnot for a while and then had purple cake (purple inside and out, it looked freaky and they loved it!)   Then they played some more, some ppl left, some others arrived (who I knew would be late) and we just let it roll until around 5-5:30 everyone started to leave. 

We were pooped, and had a 1yo birthday party the next day... we're still purple pooped, but happy with the party

thanks all for your ideas!

PS Play-doh is freakishly easy to make!