Toddler Nap Timing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Toddler Nap Timing

DD is 18 months. For a while she's been down to 1 nap and it usually hits around 12:30-1:00... the past couple weeks we had rough nights - multiple wake ups and she was getting to bed later than normal. I made a concerted effort to get her to bed on time and remind her that night-night means going to sleep on her own. The past 3 days she has slept through the night for 10.5-11 hours, which is normal for her.

But nap time is totally out of whack and I can't understand why. She woke up just before 7 this morning and by 10:30/11am she was totally ready for a nap. This has happened the past few days as well - and even worse - she's not napping as long and then she's cranky by 4/5pm 

I've got her eating lunch right now, but she's totally ready to conk out.

What time do your toddlers go down for their nap? Should I just let her nap at 11 or should I try to keep her up till 12:30?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: Toddler Nap Timing

We're up at 6:30 or 7:00am (Mommy prefers 7) and we have lunch around 11:00 or 11:30 and I try and put them down around noon or 12:15.  If i'm lucky they sleep until 1:45 or 2:00.  I try and get them into bed around 7:15 or so at night. (BTW - they are 20 months).
    I have a friend with a 15 month old and he's up at 6:30 and down for nap at 1000 until noon.  He usually stays up all afternoon and goes to bed at 6:30.
    So I think there are lots of different schedules that can work.  Maybe it's just a phase? I do think that at this age they are supposed to have 13 to 14 hours total - is she getting that much?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1stTimeMom90709. Show 1stTimeMom90709's posts

DS is almost 19 months.  During the week when he is at daycare he goes down for a nap around noon and usally sleeps until 2-2:30.  On a rare occasion he will sleep until 3.  He goes to bed at 8 PM and usually wakes up between 6 and 7.  So he gets 12-13 hours of sleep a day.

On the weekends when he is home all day sometimes he will get 2 naps.  If he wakes up around 7 he starts acting sleepy by 9 or 10 so we will put him down and he usually sleeps for an hour.  Then we will put him down for another nap around 2 or so or whenever he seems sleepy again and will sleep for an hour to and hour and a half.  So its about the same total naptime as he gets at daycare but is just broken up into 2 naps. I imagine he gets sleepy around 9 or 10 at daycare everyday but they have a schedule they follow.  It seems to work for him and he doesn't get thrown off on the weekends when he gets 2 naps.

So if you don't want to do the two naps I would just force her to stay awake until the noon time nap (unless she seems really exhausted and needs to go down) and she will probably take a longer nap then.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan66. Show susan66's posts

I do lunch at 11:30 then bed at 12 and leave her (17 mos) in there til almost 3. Sometimes she cries during the nap but I don't go in and she settles. She sleeps about 2 hours then plays around. Today she had her pants off!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

She might just be going through a growth spurt (or suffering the blame-everything-for-it-teething?), both which can mess up their sleep schedules. I guess I will say you should decide which is more important for your family overall - stick to the schedule that gets her a long night's sleep or add back another nap on days she seems especially tired, even though she might stay up later those nights. I don't think there's a right answer - just a matter of tinkering and seeing what keeps you sane!

To answer the question though -this is my 18mo DD's typical schedule:

Wake 6:30-7am

Nap sometime between 11 and 12:30 (roughly 1-1.5 hours and she naps longer if I put her down earlier, but I have to pick up DS at preschool twice a week and that pushes her naptime toward 12:30 some days)

Bed between 6:30-7

So about 13 hours total sleep. She never STTN, but that's something we've chosen not to deal with yet. (Soon!)

Good luck! Sleep stuff is baffling.

Sections
Shortcuts