Toddler receipes for bean dishes?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Toddler receipes for bean dishes?

I'd love to have my kids try some beans.  I bought a can of black beans and a can of cannellini beans at the store.  Anyone have any ideas of tasty and simple ways to prepare them for two year olds to try?
    My DH is a meat and potatoes guy and the only beans I ever ate were black eye peas (my dad is southern) and lima beans - which I used to just cook from the frozen ones in the store.
    I'm sure the purists out there wish I had bought dried beans, but I thought that was too much work since were just experimenting right now.
    Thanks all!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Re: Toddler receipes for bean dishes?

I make a soup for DD that is potatoes, summer squash, zucchini, peas, onion and a can of kidney beans.  She eats everything and loves the beans!  Its about a potato and a half cut into bite size pieces, same for all the veggies actually.  In a pan cook up the potatoes in some olive oil...once they get tender add in onion, squash and zucchini....give it about 5 minutes.  add 2 cans of the small hunts sauce and add about 3 quarts of water...add black pepper, salt to taste...once you bring it to a boil add 1 cup of pasta and cook pasta till tender.  Once that is done add peas & beans, juice and all let it cook about another minute...done.  The recipe calls for grated cheese in the soup, but I just add it to the bowl.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Last time I was at my friend's house, she fed her 1 year old plain, room temperature kidney beans - she loved them!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

We do beans all the time.  I do them straight out of the can, or make a 3-bean salad (sometimes 4).  I almost always have that prepared in the fridge as it's easy for a quick snack or to take to the pool with us.  It's a great finger food, too.  Basically, I do 2 cans of green beans, 2 cans of wax beans, 2 cans of kidney beans and 2 cans of garbanzo beans.  I mix them together with a bit of vinegar and sweetener (we stay away from pure sugar, butthatwould be fine too).  Let it sit a little while in the fridge, and it is great for all.  My girls also love baked beans - I do the vegetarian Bush's out of the can, but I'm sure any would wokr.  We do black beans with tace type toppings.  The possibilities are endless and the beans are rather nutritious.  I like them out of the can, as they're soft for ther kids (mine are 1 and 3).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Smileyd, we're very sugar conscious, too, and find the pure liquid stevia (Whole Foods) to be delicious for a natural sugar sub - no aftertaste, and nothing artificial - we use it all the time in everything that calls for sugar.  (the stevia powder at Trader Joe's tastes terrible and is mixed with lactose)  And, we rinse our baked beans to get the sugary sauce off.  I've got diabetes in my family, and DH has a problem with sugar.

What is a "tace" type topping?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EYMK. Show EYMK's posts

I do the following:
    1 can black beans (rinsed and dry)
    1 can corn (rinsed and dry)
    avocado (cut up into small peices)
    fresh lime juice
    olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste

so yum!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Thanks for all the ideas.  I'm amazed there is a baby out there who will eat soup!  Mine would eat all the stuff in there, I think, but I'd have to let them get at it with fingers and (possibly) forks.  They aren't great with spoons yet - they tend to turn them over just before getting anything into their mouths.  And they are too impatient these days to be spoonfed by us.
    Kar - I think "tace" is a typo for "taco".
    Keep 'em coming everyone!
    Thanks again

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

Yes, tace was supposed to be taco :)  We rinse the beans as well.  Thanks for the tip abotu the liquid stevia at Whole Foods :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Toddler receipes for bean dishes?:
    [QUOTE]Yes, tace was supposed to be taco :)  We rinse the beans as well.  Thanks for the tip abotu the liquid stevia at Whole Foods :)
    Posted by smileyd[/QUOTE]

Oh, funny, taco!  I tried to figure out a possible type-o, but couldn't. :)

No problem, I'm sure you'll love the stevia drops.  I'm very fussy health and taste wise!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

My kids will eat pretty much any type of bean rinsed and heated up out of the can.  We sometimes throw a little bit of cheese on top so it melts.

Chili.  My kids can't get enough chili.

Here's a great recipe for the cannelini:

White Chili
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    1 minced jalapeno (we usually substitute a poblano)
    4 oz. can chopped green chiles, drained
    1 tsp. powdered cumin
    1/2 tsp. dried oregano
    1/8 tsp. cayenne (again, optional w/the kids)
    1/2 tsp. salt (we usually eliminate this)
    1 1/2 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
    1 or 2 cans cannelini
    8 oz cubed, cooked chicken breast (or Morningstar Chik'n Strips).
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro
    1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in soup pot until tender.  Add jalapeno, chiles, cumin oregano, cayenne and salt, and saute another minute.  stir in broth, beans and chicken.  Bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.  Stir in cilantro and cheese and serve.  Makes 3 (1 1/3 cup) servings.

There are a gazillion chili recipes out there using black and/or red kidney beans.  I've got a couple of good vegetarian ones I can share if anyone's interested.  The other great thing about traditional chilis is that it's really easy to shred up carrots and/or zucchini or other veggies and "hide" them in the sauce while adding more texture. 

For chick peas, I do an Indian-inspired recipe with a couple cans of chick peas, a large can of diced tomatoes, a small can of tomato sauce, some onion and garlic, 1 tbsp. or so of garam masala, 1/2 tbsp or so of cumin, 1/2 tbsp or so of chili powder.  Saute the onion and garlic, add the spices, cook for a couple minutes, add the chick peas, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes.

I can also dig up a vegan mock tuna salad recipe if you're interested.  You can always substitute the non-vegan secondary ingredients back in (e.g. real mayo or miracle whip instead of veganaise).

I didn't start eating beans until I was in my mid-20s and now I don't know how I ever survived without them.  We have them in some form or another a couple times a week and there are so many ways to prepare them, I've never had a chance to get bored of any one recipe.  My kids often request them if we ask what they want for lunch or dinner and get disproportionately excited if we suggest beans to them.    Enjoy experimenting!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Have you tried plain beans straight out of the can?  Rinse them and throw them on a plate.  My 2 year old loves beans.  My husband and I were always those bean purists you mention until we had a kid.  Now I keep the pantry loaded with our beloved dry beans AND cans because if she ever throws a tantrum I can distract her with the promise of beans "IF you calm down and take a few breaths I think you MIGHT be able to find some beans in the pantry.  Do you think you can calm down enough to check and see if there are any? (14 cans of beans within reach in the pantry)."
    If she's extra good I let her hold the strainer. 

cold bean salads are great.  Couscous and garbanzos are a favorite here.  Grape tomatoes, basil, and some white beans thrown over pasta with some olive oil and parmesan is great cold or hot.  In cooler weather I'll make kale soup with 6 or 7 types of beans and Portuguese sausage.  Lentils are great because you buy them dry and they cook in 30 minutes with no soaking.  I like the small, dark, French/Indigo lentils more than the plain brown. 
    Bean dips are easy with a food processor.  Hummus with garbanzos, of course.  You can make any bean into a dip, really. 
    My husband feels deprived if I serve just a cold bean salad plain but the bean salad miraculously becomes a meal if it is rolled in a wrap or pita, especially if feta or goat cheese are involved.  In this heat it's a great no-cook addition to the dinner rotation. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Thanks again everyone.  I'm going to try some plain first and then graduate to all .your wonderful receipes.
    We had spaghetti for the first time last night.  I had been giving them elbows and penne forever.  Of course they loved playing with the spaghetti.  I should have tried it sooner. Sometimes I hold off because of the mess factor with twins, but I'm realizing I have to just jump in with two feet...and clean up later.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Yay! I just bought black beans and cannellini beans too, hoping to find some sort of recipe for the family that DD could enjoy too!  Great ideas here. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

One of my favorite bean recipes is for roasted chick peas, as our LO is not born yet I can't attest to how little kids would like it, but my nieces are 9 and 11 and have been eating it hapily for a few years...  It might be better in the cooler weather since it bakes for so long.

Roasted Chick Peas

Ingredients
    · 1 pound(s) dry chickpeas (I buy the organic chickpeas in bulk at whole foods, but you can also just buy a 1lb bay at any supermarket)
    · 1 Tbsp dried oregano 
    · 2/3 cup(s) olive oil (I often use half of this amt)
    · 1 tsp table salt 
    · 2 cup(s) onion(s) 
    · 1 1/2 cup(s) broth vegetable, chicken or beef is fine - I got this recipe form a friend that is vegetarian, my sister makes this, but uses beef broth.  Also I often use a bullion cube with water instead

Instructions
    · rinse the chick peas and check for any stone or ones that don’t look right

· Soak Chick Peas overnight – enough water to cover by 2 inches
    · Preheat Oven to 400F
    · Drain Chickpeas & Add Salt
    · Heat oil, sauté Onions until soft
    · stir in chick peas, oregano & vegetable broth 
    · Bring to a boil
    · cover with double foil and lid

· Put in oven and immediately reduce oven temp to 250F
    · Cook for 6-8 hours
    ( I prefer to cook closer to 8 hrs because the chick peas are softer, also it is convenient to put it in the oven before I go to bed and then just shut if off when I wake up)

The person I got the recipe from uses a Dutch oven so she can do this all in one pot.  I don’t have a Dutch oven so I use a sauté pan for the steps up to and including bring to boil then I transfer in to a covered casserole dish, cover with double foil and put the lid on and it works just fine.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Well the cannellini beans plain, rinsed out of the can weren't a big hit.  My DD - who loves trying new food - ate one and left the rest.  My DS - who is a bit more cautious - ate one, spit it out and threw the rest of his on the floor!  Oh well.
    I'll try again in a few days.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

[QUOTE]If she's extra good I let her hold the strainer.  
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]

AH ha ha ha!  Love it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Do they like the taste of lemon or balsamic vinegar?  Acid cuts the bean-y flavor.  If they like parmesan cheese a little might help too.  I think I read somewhere that a kid has to try a food an average of 5 or 6 times before you can really count it out as truly a no-go.  My brain might be making that up, though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Well the cannellini beans plain, rinsed out of the can weren't a big hit.  My DD - who loves trying new food - ate one and left the rest.  My DS - who is a bit more cautious - ate one, spit it out and threw the rest of his on the floor!  Oh well. I'll try again in a few days.
    Posted by misslily[/QUOTE]

Kidney beans have a much more pleasant texture and mild taste out of the can than cannellini beans, imo.  That's what my friend's one year old eats plain, room temp, rinsed and plain out the can.  Not all beans are equal in how tasty they are totally plain.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Lissa - you're right - although I heard up to 10 times.  I offered Dr. Praeger's Spinach littles FOREVER before they finally ate them.  And I'm still offering fish and haven't had any luck yet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

haha misslily...she doesnt use a spoon well at all, she just dives into it or uses a fork.  I dont give her much broth, actually none because I think I just put all the goodies on a plate with a little grated cheese! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Since about 1, my son ADORED the black bean, brown rice, tomato recipe on Weelicious.com which also has tons of other beans.  It was basically rinsed black beans, brown rice and diced tomatoes with EVOO, lime, cilatro and salt and pepper to taste.  He will also just eat them plain.  Verrill Farm makes a killer spicy black bean salad with a cumin lime vinegrette, corn and peppers.  It is a family favorite and I'm sure they will let you know the recipe if you call them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

here is a recipe I just made today...its DELICIOUS and my DD had some too!!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/06/southwestern-black-bean-salad.html