Toddler won't drink milk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from echeri. Show echeri's posts

Toddler won't drink milk

Hi all-

I am an occasional lurker, don't really post much, but it seems there is so much good advice here, I thought I'd post my question.

My 14 month old DD (tomorrow!) pretty much refuses to drink cow's milk.  She also doesn't like yogurt.  And while she used to like cheese when she first started solids, she now refuses cheese as well.

Any tips on getting her to be more open to dairy?  I'm worried about her calcium intake.  At her 1 year pedi appt, our pedi wasn't worried that she hadn't started drinking milk because she was still nursing then.  Now that she isn't, she is only getting calcium from food that she eats.

I know there are calcium-fortified products such as OJ, but I prefer to moderate sweet drinks.

Are all your kids milk guzzlers, or has someone else dealt with this as well?

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Re: Toddler won't drink milk

When DD1 was about that age, I had the similar issue.  She would NOT drink milk (or anything for a while) out of a sippy cup and we were ending bottle use.  I must have called the doctor's office every other day with questions and concerns for weeks (I also was worried she wasn't getting enough liquid).  They told me a. Kids get a lot of liquid in other things they eat like fruits and b. they don't need as much calcium as I felt she did.  I want to say it something like 2 servings of cheese a day.  Have you tried soy or rice milk? I don't care for it but it does have calcium in it.

And in the end DD1 loves milk.  She's not quite a milkaholic but given a choice between milk and juice and water, it's water, milk and then juice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Hi there!
    My LO is also not big on cow milk (she is 17 months).  She will sometimes drink some, but we're talking about a couple of ounces a day at most.  Keep offering, is the best thing I can say!
    The things that have helped are (a) straw cups, which she loves, plus she takes the liquid faster; (b) at meals we only offer milk and put away the beloved water cup (with an exception for when she had a stomach bug and we wanted her to have plenty of fluids); (c) she'll sometimes drink more if it's with something that milk goes with, like cookies.  :)
    We also just taught her to "cheers" and at meal time we all clink our milk cups and then we all drink.  But that was recent - not sure if she would have been able to grasp that concept at 14 months.  Plus now we have to "cheers" multiple times each meal...

I don't have much advice nutritionally, because in our case we have been able to compensate with the yogurt and cheese, which she loves.  At our 15 month appointment, our pedi said he was not very concerned for that reason.
    However, you might want to google raising vegan kids, and then discuss any info you find with your doctor.  It's hard to do but some people do raise vegan kids... so they must have some nutritional tricks up their sleeves!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

My DD went through a similar phase at 13-15 mnths. She's almost two now and she loves milk so hang in there because this is most likely a phase that your child will outgrow. Similarly, my dd didn't love cheese and I was concerned she wasn't getting enough calcium. My pedi sent me a list of foods that they recommended as alternatives to milk/dairy and there was a good variety on there, including dark leafy vegetables (which can be hidden in foods pretty easily). Your Pedi probably has a similar list or you can probably google it. The other thing to keep in mind is that portion sizes for toddlers are incredibly small, I *think* a dice sized piece of cheese is a portion. So even if your child is seemingly eating very little dairy, it may be enough. Finally, the other thing I'd recommend trying is a Nuk brand cup (the 5 oz size with handles and a soft tip). We use other cups for water and any other beverages she has but she really likes the Nuk ones for milk, maybe because the spout is so soft like a nipple. I know a lot of people like straw cups but I personally find them a huge pain when they are used for milk because they are so hard to clean - we tried them at first but lost several straws in our dishwasher and I never felt as though I could clean them enough by hand. We still use them for water. Good luck and remember this is most likely a phase that will end shortly. We were just persistent and offered milk several times a day for a month or two and one day she began to drink it consistently. I had several "well meaning" relatives advise me to feed her ice cream or pudding or give her flavored milk and I'm glad I didn't go that route because she did eventually take to milk as is and my pedi seemed more concerned about the long term effects of creating a sweet-craving toddler than the fact that she was getting slightly less than the recommended fat/dairy amount for a few months. Good luck - its incredibly frustrating - keep us updated on how it goes!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

I don't have a kid, but I just wanted to say that soy milk has a nutritionally similar profile to milk.  Pretty much all major brands of soy milk that you find at the grocery store are fortified to contain at least as much calcium as dairy milk. They contain about the same amount of protein per serving as well.  Rice milk is also typically calcium fortified, but lower in protein.

If you want to compare yourself, here is some data:

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

My daughter was the SAME way.  She guzzles milk like a champ now (even if your daughter doesn't make the switch to being a dairy fiend, it's ok).   She absolutely REFUSED cow's milk at that point.  She's eagerly grab a sippy cup of milk when offered, take a sip, and throw it.  My theory is she is VERY verbal (had 6 words at 6 months already) and I breastfed her until 15 months--she understood the word "milk" to mean "breastmilk."  When she tasted cow's milk she was sorely disappointed/grossed out.  I guess if someone offered me milk and I went to drink it and it was soymilk or goat's milk or something that tastes differently than I was expecting I'd have trouble too.

Even after I weaned her she was hesitant about milk for a while.  Then, at about 20 months, she just kind of started accepting it when offered.  She also seems to like 2% better than whole. 

Does your daughter like orange juice?  If you're really worried about calcium intake (and they really don't need as much as you think) you can try calcium-fortified orange juice.  They also have calcium-fortified apple juice but I wouldn't go that route unless your pedi says you REALLY need to up the calcium intake since I believe the calcium-fortified apple juice has less calcium than milk or orange juice and it has fewer nutrients and more sugar than other juices.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I second what rama says about not trying flavored milks or pudding for calcium's sake.  My MIL was hell-bent on getting mac n cheese and chocolate milk into my daughter because she wouldn't drink milk (keeping in mind she'd eat greek yogurt, cheese, and was still breastfeeding 2x a day at the time, so it's not like she was without calcium!).  I'm glad I stuck to my guns and didn't switch to chocolate milk.  Daughter definitely came around milk eventually and MIL's sons still only drink chocolate milk, despite being in their 30s and 40s haha.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

the other thing about greek yogurt is that real greek yogurt has more calcium than the same volume of milk.  We sometimes get full fat yogurt and mix it with pureed fruit (either pureed ourselves or the baby food kind).  Possible your LO might like that?  It usually has a smoother taste than a lot of "regular" yogurt.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from echeri. Show echeri's posts

Thank you everyone!  I feel a little better knowing that this is hopefully a phase.

medford-My DD does like the straw style cups and drinks well from a regular cup as well, she can drink from a sippy cup too, but like the straws more, but the "cheers" idea is cute!  It's the type of thing she'd love.

dz & siena-Have not yet tried soy or rice yet, but will add it to the experimentation list!

Rama-I thought about designating a cup for milk, perhaps a new one so that it's novel, maybe I'll try the Nuk cup.

lissafro-I had OJ down as an option, DD does like juice, I just try to limit her drinking of juice since I know she prefers it over water and I don't want her drinking juice all the time, but I think a little here and there can't hurt.   I just picked up some greek yogurt tonight before reading all the great advice and will try it later this week.

I guess I'll just keep offering, even if all I get is a quick sip and then disgust and arms sweeping around to push it vehemently away! :)

Just tonight I let DD walk around with one of her straw drinking cups after dinner (filled with milk) and she was sipping as she went.  The sips probably added up to 1 oz, but I'll take it!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Similar here too.  DS, 15 mths, all of a sudden isn't into cheese.  He'd snap it up before.  And he is all over the place with his drinking.  Sometimes will guzzle milk, other times won't take a sip.  He could eat yogurt all day, so that is our consistent dairy/calcium intake for now. 

I will say, I probably am bad, bad... but DS at 15 mths is still on a morning bottle of milk and an evening bottle.  During the day is all sippee cups (straws and valves) but he will absolutely not drink a sip in the morning or night if from a sippee.  I know I will have to wean that soon... our doctor's appt is Friday.  But with the bottles I know he's getting at least 8-10oz of milk a day... and I'm fearful that will go to 2oz if we just use sippees.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

IPW- me too. don't worry. we can be in the doghouse together.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

IPW, I'm right there with you with the morning and evening bottle, for the same reason...it means I know she's getting enough!  Plus, her morning bottle has always been special daddy time, and evening is mine, and I selfishly hate to give that up.  I'm planning to dump the morning bottle first, and just have her sit down to breakfast with her dad instead. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Unsweetened soy milk is fortified and not sugary.  I was allergic to milk as a child and drank soy milk exclusively as a substitute.  Maybe he'd like that better for now?  It could be a texture thing, and soy definitely feels different than cow's milk.  Silk makes Vanilla which is sugary, but Plain is really good and not sweetened.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Add me to the crowd.  I haven't even made a half hearted attempt to ditch the bottles for the twins.  They even still get one in the middle of the day before their nap sometimes. I need to get on the ball about that but I can only take one life changing event at a time.  Today is DD1's last day in diapers.  Tomorrow she's going into underwear.  I hope it will go smoothly and quickly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Redsoxfan76. Show Redsoxfan76's posts

IPW - my DD is only 11 mo (in 2 days) and I am already dreading getting her off of her bottles for the same reason. AM bottle is mommy cuddle time and PM is dad's. Ugh. I am getting teary just thinking about it!

echeri - I have no further advice as I am not at that stage yet, but all the PP's have had good advice as far as getting in calcium. FWIW, I love soy milk. Good luck!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

My daughter doesn't like yogurt but she loves Petit Montebourg, a french cheese and fruit thing. They carry it at Whole Foods.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/01/19/dining/temptation-flavored-yogurts-with-a-difference.html

http://muare1.vcmedia.vn/images/48/petit._1290825460.jpeg

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jewelsagem. Show jewelsagem's posts

Count me as another in the 15 month bottle camp!  DD was on morning and evening bottles until this week when I dropped the morning.  Just tonight I discussed with DH and decided that since we were going for it, we might as well go cold turkey and drop the evening one too.  I totally cried tonight thinking that she won't have any more bottles!  Just like you all, it's our cozy cuddle time getting home at night from work and I'm sad to give it up.  But tonight we still cuddled before bed just the same, so like everything else it will become a new normal.
    She is not doing great with milk out of sippys and straws during the day - at all!  Probably only about 7 oz, whereas she was upwards of 20 oz/day with bottles.  At her 12 month appt, the pedi said to shoot for 12 oz at minimum.  She's the one who also wanted her off bottles by 15 months so we'll see what she says at her 15 month appt!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I'm sure babies who nurse have a harder time with cows milk than formula babies. I thought the formula tasted awful - although they happily drank it.
    Mommy's milk is very sweet - much sweeter than cows milk - so the transition may take a while. Everyone else has given you lots of great suggestions.
    I will add that my kids love smoothies - and I used to cut them - 1/2 milk and 1/2 smoothie so they weren't as sweet. So lots of milk and the bonus of yogurt too. You might try it once in a while. We usually have them right after nap.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Also try warming the milk?  DS does not like really cold drinks so he prefers milk either warmed or room temp and will drink more of it like that.  Same for water and juice. 
    DS transitioned easily from bottle to sippy but did go through a period of less fluid intake during the process.  And personally, who cares if some of your kids are still on bottles at 15 months.  I see it as one of those battles that really is not worth a huge fight or concern.  It is not like they are 3 or 4 and on bottles.  Enjoy it for now...personally I loved getting off the bottles for cleaning reasons and that was my main motivator as bad as that sounds, it was not due to his age.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

With my first, I did what Misslily did -- thought it was a slippery slope, because it took years for my daughter to drink "plain" milk. Up until about a year ago, we still had to add a splash of yogurt smoothie (which I thought rather disgusting, actually). She was nine. I put my foot down. Finally, she drinks it plain (which is nice for both our budget and her type 1 diabetes regimen!)

With my others, I just kept giving cow's milk to them and eventually they drank it. I wasn't as worried by then about the calcium issue, knowing they were getting it from other sources. Smile

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

ok, thank you all for this post because I was going to ask questions about the same thing.  We are trying to cut out the bottle.  My daughter loves, loves, loves her sippy cups and has been great at taking water in them over the last few months (she is almost 13 months).  We cut out bottles during the daytime which has been ok because she is a foodmonger and great about signing when she wants to eat (constantly!).  She got sick when I tried cutting the night bottle and I was worried about fluids and her little baby brain growth, so I kept the night bottle, but now I want to cut it, but...I can't get her to drink milk from her cup.  She will actually hold up the cup to see what is inside and will sign me over to the fridge for her water.  For my oldest we just did the cups and it took a couple of days and then she was good drinking cold milk from cups, and now she is a bit of a milk hound.  Are we okay if #2 just pecks at milk?  Daycare says she is doing ok, but the big issue there is cups are only given at meals because one kid (same age) is very milk allergic, so it's the best way to make sure they aren't mixing cups, but I can't get her to drink it at home.  So she loves yogurt and cheese, so maybe I'm ok on the fat intake that she needs?  That's my biggest concern I think.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Hotcinnababy - I'm sure she'll get over the "no milk in a sippy" thing.  I pushed the issue by only offering milk for a few days. No water or juice. Once they realized they weren't getting anything else to drink, they started drinking milk from the cups.
    I also mixed 1/2 milk and 1/2 yogurt smoothie - it's sweeter and they like it - it made the transition a little easier too.
    But yes - keep feeding the yogurt and the cheese for calcium and fat.
    Good luck!

Sections
Shortcuts