TOT - Friends in town to run Marathon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

TOT - Friends in town to run Marathon

Totally Off Topic - As usual, I rely on you all for all good/solid advice!

I have friends coming in from Toronto to run the marathon in April.

I'm looking for advice on how to host marathoners on such a big weekend.

We live near Newburyport - is really just too far from Hopkinton/Boston and I should recommend they stay closer to the race?

Any big marathon things going on we should see?

And then their is training and food, what considerations should I have there?

I'm really proud of them, and want them to be comfortable and focused on the race.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Re: TOT - Friends in town to run Marathon

They'll probably have to go in town the Saturday or Sunday before to pick up their numbers...and one of those days there's usually a pasta dinner for the runners, but I can't remember which.  Or you could use that day to give them some Boston time...get their pasta fix somewhere in the North End! 

If you want to watch them, good spots with lots of crowds are Wellesley and BC...you could drive in to Boston, then take the T to BC to watch, hop back on to meet them in town. You can sign up to track their numbers, and you get texts when they reach certain milestones (I think it might be every 5k or so?).

If you're going to meet them at the end, definitely plan on a meeting spot a little away from the crowds...Newbury St, or Comm Ave, or St. James.  Even one block off of Boylston makes a huge difference. 

Not sure about the Newburyport part...a big component is you...would you be willing to drive them to one of the shuttle spots so they can get to Hopkinton?  If so, doesn't matter where they stay!  Hotel rates usually spike that weekend b/c of so many people coming in to run, too. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

ML, Newburyport is way too far to stay the night before the marathon. I used to live on the route by BC and traffic is a nightmare.  I'd recommend taking the T to Cleveland Circle and walking up to watch them if you are going to go in that area.

The easiset thing for your friends if they are staying w/ you in Newburyport is to take the C & J Trailways bus into Boston and then hop on a a shuttle.  I'd recommending driving up to grab the bus in Portsmouth [right off the turnpike] rather than get on at the Newburyport stop b/c it will probably be packed.  Or stay closer to Hopkinton.  GL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

ML, you sound like a nice host.  Just ask them what they would like you to get at the grocery store, if you're up for that!  Also, they should get an info packet if they're official.
    If they're official runners, they can take a shuttle from Boston to Hopkinton.  So it's really whether or not you can get them to Boston (or to C&J as alf mentioned).  Possible there could even be extra commuter rail times??  Although probably not given the MBTA.  :/
    When we went to see my SIL, we watched from Beacon St in Brookline near Washington Square.  It worked out really well; we were able to park in a residential area of Brookline.  There are also restaurants and stuff there.  We did not have traffic problems, but we were coming from Somerville so it was local roads, not highways.  Also, we went a bit later -- we didn't see the elite runners come through.
    A nice thing about that location would be that you could take the green line in/out if you wanted to drive them back to your place.  I'd imagine THAT would be a traffic nightmare.  But I don't know.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Remember that although there will be marathon related traffic it is also school vacation week and a holiday ... so that will help some.  I've never needed to commute on marathon days, but when I lived in Boston the only really crazy time to get around seemed to be 2-5pm when all the streets were closed, crowds were the busiest, and the runners were actually in town.  Oh... and a lot of times there was a Red Sox game on the same day... so Kenmore Square would be an absolute nightmare.  I'll never forget the day I needed to cross Kenmore square at 2:30 to get to work at the hospitals... Marathon + ball game crowd = not a happy camper by the time I got to work. 

Good luck to your friends!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Also, this post totally made me think of the Seinfeld episode with the marathoner and the alarm clock.  Don't let that be you!  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

There is a Sox game that day, it starts at 11 am.

Luv - I was thinking of the same thing!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

They should check to see what time the shuttle buses leave Boston for Hopkinton. I think it's really early in the morning.
    I'd suggest they rent a car and drive into Boston that morning, parking in the Common Garage for the day and getting to the shuttle boarding area from there.
    Then when the race is done they can get back to the Common garage fairly easily to drive back up north to you.