Toys recommendation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

Toys recommendation

does anyone have any recomendations on toys for 2-3 yo's?  my twins will be 2 in oct and i feel like we have NO toys - i never get them anything new and we basically have stuffed animals, some wooden puzzles, a couple of push toys (wagon/wheely-bug/shopping cart), some musical instruments (recorder, xylophone, maracas from when they were babies) and those baby bjorn stepstools (not really toys - but they like jumping off of them).  i feel like they are deprived and i want to be sure they are learning while playing!  any suggestions?  thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Toys recommendation

pc, love that recommendation. I know you were thinking of boys and/or gender neutral things, but even as a girl I didn't like pink and flowery stuff - I wanted things to look real. No pink or purple teddy bears, for instance, only brown or black. If I had one of these awesome kitchen stations when I was little the more it looked like the real thing the more I'd play with it...stoves aren't pink, and I'd think a pink stove was dumb even at 3. Heck, I named my only doll "Doll" out of spite because it was an inanimate object and I didn't understand why everyone was asking me what its name was, lol. It's nice to know there's a toy company that gets that real-looking is something some kids really like the best. Maybe that's one reason no matter how expensive the kitchen toys are what kids so often go for are the real pots and pans, spatulas, etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Lakeshore is a good place for toys and equipment!  so is Discount School Supply. Discountschoolsupply.com  And I'd agree, I'm so tired of pink everything for girls I could hurl!

Get lots of manipulatives (like legos) - these are great for putting together and taking apart, which develop fine motor strength and dexterity.  These things are also good for sorting colors, pretending to be food (green legos make a great 'salad'!).  And balls and trucks are fun. And don't forget.....

BLOCKS!!!!

Get the cardboard "brick" blocks for building now, at 2 yrs old, then eventually (at 3 yrs old) get wood unit blocks.  You know, ye old wooden blocks.  You can build roads, zoos, baby beds, houses, fire stations, cribs, horse farms, you can drive your trucks on the road you build with the blocks, you can have your doll house people go in those trucks, on that road....  blocks are great!  We have children at 10 years old who will spend 45 minutes building cities and very elaborate structures with blocks.  And 3 yr olds love blocks as well.  (and husbands love blocks, misslily, too!  I think a great Christmas gift for your twins would be a huge set of blocks.)

For those who can afford it, go to Community Playthings for those blocks - their equipment is more often purchased by childcare centers than parents because it lasts forever (expensive, but lasts forever) and they'll replace things forever, too.   www.communityplaythings.com - I'm talking about the unit blocks on their website - they have 4 different types.  Preschools often have the larger blocks for building huge things that you can climb on (like making an airplane, house, etc.) but they are expensive for a house and who has that kind of space?  But unit blocks also teach incredible math and spatial skills, as you discover that 2 squares make a rectangle, two of these rectangles are the same length as the longer rectangle, but won't span a space for a bridge like a long rectangular block will.  Oh, I love blocks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

I would avoid having many if any of the the beep-boop electronic "teaching" toys not just because they make an unbelievable noise, but because by the time the kid has the dexterity to manipulate the thing, they already know what it supposedly is teaching, plus they only do one thing.  Once you've put the six tethered color coded blocks in their corresponding places, now what?

Sections
Shortcuts