Transition to daycare - older babies

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Re: Transition to daycare - older babies

Thanks IPW - we are paying $380 for 5 days and that also include two snacks and lunch as well as breakfast if we drop him off before 8am.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

IPW - we pay about $70 per day, but that does not include any food.  So, it is not all that much different than the price you were quoted.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Yes - ours is about $75 per day, but not including food for the babies.  Snacks included as they get older, but not lunch.

We had our ride along today!  Got there with the LO during the drop off time and we hung out and played.  She seemed to like the teachers okay and she seemed comfortable with the other kids as well.  I was worried about them pulling her hair, but in actuality she tried to take pacifiers from two of them!  Then she sat with the older room for snack, which was super cute.  I also feel more comfortable about how things work, so I'm really glad we did it.
    They have two "infant" rooms separated by a half wall, with a lot of back and forth.  I was worried about her getting stuck with the really little babies since she can't crawl or really stand alone, but I feel more comfortable about it now because the older kids are closer to 18 months, and the younger kids are actually almost all older and even have a couple who are over 10 months, so she will be right in the mix.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Medford - so glad that your visit went well and you are feeling better about DD going!  That is nice that the infants are all older like her so when she does transition others will do so with her.

When will your DD start going?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

She'll start going in two weeks.  I'm sure there will be tears (mine)!

The visit helped me a lot because my MO is to worry about silly things like, "how do I label the sippy cups?" "how many diapers should I bring?" "what do the other kids eat for snack?"
    Having a handle on these silly details makes me feel much more in control, and I was able to get a lot of that information, as well as a sense that I wouldn't be thrown out of the day care if I labeled her shirt wrong!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Medford I know what you mean!  Good luck when you start!

CT-DC I wanted to thank you for all your advice it was so helpful.  DS transitioned really well to daycare.  By the end of the first week he didn't cry in the morning at dropoff and was having really good days.  Week 2 we are back to some crying at dropoff but we expected that after the weekend of being home. 

We are really happy with his teachers and he is doing really well! Now I just have to prepare myself to get back into working!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

In Response to Re: Transition to daycare - older babies:
    [QUOTE]The visit helped me a lot because my MO is to worry about silly things like, "how do I label the sippy cups?" "how many diapers should I bring?" "what do the other kids eat for snack?" Having a handle on these silly details makes me feel much more in control, and I was able to get a lot of that information
    Posted by medfordcc[/QUOTE]

These are some of the reasons I always insist on a "welcome meeting" for at least one parent - I (or my Asst. Director) meet with the parent(s) to go over all the paperwork, and make sure it's all complete, and to give information on how to check in/out each day, set up the door codes (we have a secure entrance, part of being a city childcare center), and talk about how we need (and what we need) labeled.  then the parent(s) meet their teacher, and they go over where and how to drop off bottles, food, morning date labeling, where the child's cubby is, etc. AND to get information about the baby specifically - how does he/she best burp, how do you put him/her to sleep,  does baby need to be swaddled, need a binky, etc? 

If you center doesn't offer to do this, I'd request it so you can at least not be worrying about those 'first day things"!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

LLLE - great news!

CT - yes, your advice has been perfect!  Can't thank you enough.  You are right - the visit was really important.  Now we're getting geared up for the first day on Thursday.  I'm a little apprehensive because we have a molar issue.  Four big ouchy bumps pushing up on the gums = much more trouble than usual getting her to nap.  But it is what it is and we'll take it one day at a time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Medford - how did the first day go??  I hope all was well, I was thinking of you today!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thank you so much, LLLE!
    Yes, yesterday was the first day.  It was okay.  The report from the day care was that she was fine all day, with the notable exception of when they tried to get her to take a nap.  Apparently she cried for half an hour, and when they would pick her up, she would cry more and push them away.  And she bit her tongue.  :(
    So, needless to say, I did some crying as well!  But the good news is that when she woke up from nap she was completely fine and happy to be there and ate her lunch cheerfully.
    I think the hardest part is just not seeing these details -- I asked them a million questions this morning about *how* she was crying, but I still don't really know.  They didn't seem to think it was the worst crying they'd ever seen or anything.  I guess I have been really spoiled in that even on days I'm not with her, my mom tells me all the minutiae of the day.

Sort of funny: my initial post was about pulling hair.  After I dropped her off yesterday I was peeking through the window, and sure enough a kid toddled right over and grabbed a big handful!  It's just so tempting.  :)  She only cried for a few seconds, the teacher separated hand from hair and picked her up, she was fine right away and then the teacher read them both a book.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Medford - congrats for getting through day 1!!  It sounds like she did so well!  (poor thing, though, biting her tongue!)  I'm chuckling at your "but HOW was she crying??" questions - I would be the exact same way.  Hope today goes swimmingly as well!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Medford - glad everything went well!  Mother's intuition with the hair thing maybe...sounds like it all turned out okay though. 

I know what you mean by not getting all the little details just he/she had a good day today type stuff.  At our center they give us these sheets with all the diaper changes and when they ate and a little note about their day but just stuff like we played outside or I enjoyed reading a book stuff.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Glad things are going well Medford and LLLE!

I would like to second the wish that I could be a fly on the wall!!  It seems like DD doesn't need as much BM now that she is doing cereal and purees, so I asked her day care provider to keep an eye out to see if she needs so many oz in her bottles.  She says she sucks them right down, but I'm like, But HOW does she suck them down?  Does she stop after 4 oz?  What about 5?  Are you sure she needs that much to be full??  I guess I will never know :o)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I know.  Her blueberry container was empty, but did she eat ALL the blueberries, or throw them on the floor???  It's like they have a whole other life that we are not part of.  Both happy and sad about this!

LLLE - I don't think I can take credit for mother's intuition - whenever we've gotten together to play with other babies, they *always* pull her hair!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I was wondering if anyone had any nap advice for daycare.
    We have been doing pretty okay, in that she has mostly been playing and eating relatively happily at daycare.  But naps are a problem.
    At home, we used to struggle but now she does really well.  We read books, sing a song, and put her down awake.  90% of the time she goes to sleep on her own without crying.  She rarely naps anywhere else, maybe once a week in the car.
    So far at daycare (only the 2nd week), she has been crying hard and long at nap time.  The very kind people try to hold her and comfort her, but she pushes them and fights them.  I'm not sure how to help.  When I dropped her off this morning, I looked at her crib with her and talked about how nice it is.  At home, she does have a lovey in her crib, but she doesn't really hold it or seem to care.  Maybe I should get a duplicate for daycare?  I feel badly for both her and the nice people... I guess this is the (only!) downside of having gotten her to be so good at napping in her own crib.
    Would love your advice!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Medford - I don't have kids yet so take this with a grain of salt but what if you brought something in from home to put in her crib that smells like you/home?  You could ask daycare that she only get to snuggle/play with that item when they put her down for a nap.  Just a thought...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

I agree with clc.  Also would the daycare allow you to bring in your own sheet from home that you wash? The detergent you use could make her think of her crib at home when she smells the sheet. Things like that can make a difference.  You said she has a lovey in her crib she doesn't touch  but it still might make a difference to have the same crib at daycare. 

Also when you put her down at home is it dark?  What about at daycare?  I would think this too could make a difference.  So sorry you are having napping trouble...hope it gets better.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks for the ideas!
    Yes, the daycare actually requires us to bring in our own sheet, then they send it home at the end of the week (or if were to get messed up).  So she's been having her own sheet, but I am definitely going to get send a lovey and hope that it helps.  I asked at pick up today and they said they'll send it back and forth, but I think I'll get a duplicate, wash it at home, and then sleep with it for a few nights, then switch them out on her at home and see if it makes a difference, then send one to keep there.  Or some sort of complicated plan like that!  :)

It's not super dark at home -- I sometimes draw the blinds and sometimes not, plus they are kind of silly ones that let in a lot of light.  But the girl loves her own crib.  That much is for sure...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]I was wondering if anyone had any nap advice for daycare. We have been doing pretty okay, in that she has mostly been playing and eating relatively happily at daycare.  But naps are a problem. At home, we used to struggle but now she does really well.  We read books, sing a song, and put her down awake.  90% of the time she goes to sleep on her own without crying.  She rarely naps anywhere else, maybe once a week in the car. So far at daycare (only the 2nd week), she has been crying hard and long at nap time.  The very kind people try to hold her and comfort her, but she pushes them and fights them.  I'm not sure how to help.  When I dropped her off this morning, I looked at her crib with her and talked about how nice it is.  At home, she does have a lovey in her crib, but she doesn't really hold it or seem to care.  Maybe I should get a duplicate for daycare?  I feel badly for both her and the nice people... I guess this is the (only!) downside of having gotten her to be so good at napping in her own crib. Would love your advice!
    Posted by medfordcc[/QUOTE]

Hi Medford, first..let me say that I know any transition is hard, but I think you need to take a deep breath and trust that the world is not going to stop turning if you label your daughter's shirt wrong..or if one day she may not eat all of her blueberries. The transition from home care to day care can be tough, but tears and stress may send your daughter the wrong message.
    As far as nap time, your daughter is ..what..maybe 3 possibly 4 days into her new day care situation? Added to that, she now has a different routine 2 days a week. All of this is going to take time to adjust to. Nap time( or quiet time) is a big transition point in the average day care day so it will take her time. Some things to consider..if your daughter doesn't use the "lovey" at home..chances are it is not going to comfort her at day care. Is nap time at day care at the same time she is used to taking naps on non day care days? If it is different this will be part of the problem. I understand some centers do this, but I question the wisdom of having a set nap time for this age group anyhow..at least at first.
    While it's understandable that you would be nervous about her hair being pulled..etc..value gained in socialization at a good quality child care center far outweighs these concerns. What's important is that the staff has an understanding of age appropriate behavior and is adept at redirecting. Above all..it is important to give your daughter time to adjust..and to give yourself time to adjust to the changes as well.
    (PS..if you think this is stressful..wait 10 years!)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

I think time will help the nap issue - send a lovey if they allow one in the crib (you may need to sign a waiver, our center would require that based on licensing and SIDS rules). 

but also, time will help, believe me.  I'm thrilled she's doing so well during her awake times.  what might help is if they put her in her crib and then rub her back or rock the crib (we have a 'crib shake' we do that makes a rocking motion - you can't do it with your bigger cribs but our cribs are smaller than the typical at-home crib).  That way they aren't holding her, but rather letting her be in the crib while they (try) to soothe her.

AND, miscricket is right - make sure the time they are putting her down is the similar time as when she normally naps at home.  If she has to wait even 45 minutes from her normal time she's really overtired and it's going to be harder.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

They put pictures of the babies families on the side of each crib at our daycare for the babies to be able to look at and ask that each child has a blanket for sleeping (similar idea to a lovey)... would it help if your LO had pictures of your family - you, DH and LO - on the crib side? Apparently some babies really like the pictures. They also switched cribs when he was younger and fighting the nap to see what worked (the best location for him was where he could not see the other babies that were not asleep or see the teachers especially if teachers are holding other babies - I have a feeling he did not want to miss out on anything). Maybe the teachers should try that to see if location matters too? Luckily now, they all take the nap at the same time and dim the whole room so he is napping longer than he did in the younger room.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

[QUOTE]The transition from home care to day care can be tough, but tears and stress may send your daughter the wrong message.
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]
    Thank you all for your advice!  We were on vacation so I am just reading this now.
    I'm not sure what I wrote, but I just wanted to clarify that I'm not having a lot of tears and stress myself at the daycare or in front of my daughter.  Not sure if I had incorrectly given that impression, based on miscricket's response above.

This week we will try sending the lovey.  Also, when I go in with her tomorrow, I'm going to spend some time looking at "her" crib and talking to her about it.  She actually slept GREAT on vacation, in a strange room and a borrowed pack and play, going to sleep on her own like she does at home, so I'm hopeful that we can use some of those lessons to help us at day care.

Sections
Shortcuts