Traveling to Europe

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Traveling to Europe

DH's family is going to Ireland/England next summer and we're invited to go. There will be two other kids there, but they'll be 4 and 6 then and DS will only be about 16mon.  I've already been there before so it's not like it's a trip of a lifetime for me and DH isn't super excited about it either.  If we did not have a child we would go w/o a question as it's a chance to spend time with his family and site see etc.  We will have to give a decision soon on whether we want to go or not since they are already starting to make some plans.  Anyone traveled to Europe with a LO?  Our family would be there to help but I am nervous about the time change.  I would not want to be sleep deprived the whole vacation and then deal with getting DS back on schedule when we get back as well.  I know how important sleep is to children of any age.  Also, Europe is not exactly Disney.  I love traveling, but traveling with a LO seems like it would be more work than fun... 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Traveling to Europe

Sounds like you don't want to go at all, although, I'm sure you appreciate the invitation.  If that's the case, I hope you'll just tell them you'd be thrilled to take them up on their offer if it weren't for the fact that you'll have a 16 month old at that time.  Anyone would understand, I'm sure.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

my brother and SIL took their LO to Italy when she was 18 months old. But my parents had rented a house at the beach and they were there for 2 weeks - didn't really take her sightseeing or stay in a hotel or anything.
    I think it depends on the trip.  If its going to be a different city every few days, I'd decline - but if they are going one or two places where you can "set up camp" - it might be fun.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Kar, in re-reading the post, I can see how it came across as I don't want to go at all.  I want to want to go, if that makes sense.  Who knows if we'll ever have the chance to go to again in the future. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, if that's the case, and you really want to go, I'm sure you can make it work out great.  There is enough family going that everyone can help make it fun for you, DH, and DS.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

ajuly-we go to europe every year with our DS. Last year he was 18 mo old. It was a challenge. Our trips include a one week stay in a resort, then one week at my inlaws...so there isn't too much moving around from location to location.

Doing such a trip can be fun and exhausting.

As for the time change, we found that DS has taken to the time changes perfectly. It's easy for them to sleep on the planes so when you arrive and it's morning, they've slept a full night's sleep. And returning home hasn't been problematic at all for us. We also surrender and let go of a strict bedtime for DS when we travel there, it actually helps him adjust back to east coast time. One thing that might catch you up in sleep is that 18 mo is the time for natural sleep disturbances...so right after you get back you might notice that-but if you go or not you'll probably notice it.

If you have family that will help with your LO then it won't be so bad. I have inlaws that don't help, so I'm sleep deprived chasing a toddler. But it's manageable!

I say, if you can afford to go, have the time to take off work then go! Go with a direct flight-which shouldn't be a problem if you're traveling to Ireland/England-where we travel there's no direct flight.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from arugulacm. Show arugulacm's posts

DD was 15 months when we went to France.  We didn't have much trouble with the time change.  We were with the ILs for half the trip, and had talked about expectations beforehand to make sure everyone was on the same page about needing to split up sometimes, that attending DD was our priority (food, diapers, whatever) vs. keeping to an activities schedule, what activities were / weren't a good idea, etc. It was great having ILs there to help keep her entertained and they babysat one night so we could go out to dinner by ourselves. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I would also say go for it. I have never shied away from taking DD on trips, and I think that seeing family you might not otherwise see is worth it. The one thing I would recommend is trying to keep up with getting your LO as much sleep as close to his usual schedule as possible. Every time we visit my in-laws, they get DD off her naps, and it turns her from a wonderful girl into a fussy difficult child. (My nephew is only 6 months older than DD, and he never napped well, but slept longer at night, and my in-laws don't seem to realize that some children really do need the naps). 
    But even though I hate having to deal with the sleep deprivation that DD gets, I think that all our travels have been well worth it. Plus, the more you travel the easier it gets, and you have almost a year to plan/take other trips to practice/get excited. 
    It might also be that because DS is so young now that it feels like he won't get anything out of a trip like this, but he will be a compeletely different being in a year, capable of getting a lot out of such a trip. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

The only concern that I would have is logistically, how will you get the stuff that you'll need over there?  Can you rent a PnP or could you get one from the hotel?  Stroller or no stroller?  I'm assuming that you would want one of those for over there just because you'll most likely go sightseeing during naptime.  Also, prepare yourself to have some potential issues with nap time and activity time.  At 16 months your DS will most likely be napping from about 12-2/3, which is prime time for going out.  As long as you're planning on what you will do, you shouldn't end up with a nap-deprived toddler, because those are no fun!  Our Ergo has been and continues to be a great investment both for DS (10 months) and DD (3 y.o.).  

Oh and don't forget about the cost factor.  One of my friends went to Greece with her toddler at the time and the toddler was not free.  They had to pay $400 for the toddler even though she didn't have a seat.  Just check with the airlines, but you should be fine with enough planning!