traveling with a toddler?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishmiss. Show irishmiss's posts

traveling with a toddler?

Hi - any tips on traveling with a 16month old? Once our plane lands there will be a six hour time difference and a lot of time spent in a car.. has anyone done this type of traveling with their child? I am worried about the impact of the time difference on our child's nap and sleep patterns. Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosMomE. Show BosMomE's posts

Re: traveling with a toddler?

Hi irishmiss,
    I can maybe give you some tips that might help.  We traveled from Boston to Mexico 4 months ago when our daughter was 15 mos.
    First thing I found to be a lifesaver on the long flight was her being in her own seat with car seat.  She was comfortable to sleep like she does in the car.  Plus, that is the safest way.  As far as her sleep pattern went, our flight left in the morning; but she had been up early so she took her morning nap as the flight was taking off at 9am.  By the time she got up, it was time for lunch.  She stayed up for the rest of the flight and started to get over-tired, that was tough.  By the time we landed, she had dozed back off though.  She slept through the long car ride to our resort too.  There was only a 3 hour time difference for us but I found that her sleep pattern adjusted in 48 hrs.  She was more tired than usual from the travelling (so were we!) so she went to bed really early that night which was actually nearer to her bedtime at home.  Are you losing 6 hours or gaining?  Also, does he typically take 2 or 1 naps?  I think the most helpful thing we did was try to encourage her normal schedule from the time we turned back our watches.  Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishmiss. Show irishmiss's posts

Thank you so much for your suggestions. Luckily she will have her car seat with her on the flight and in the cars we travel in while we are away. She only takes one nap- our flight leaves in the evening from Boston, so I am toying with the idea of trying to keep her from taking a nap that day.. and going through our normal bedtime routine before leaving for Logan.

Thank you so much!  I hope you had an enjoyable trip!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from caroljose. Show caroljose's posts

check out this website.  www.deliciousbaby.com

it's awesome and gives lots of advice about travelling with babies/toddlers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

not sure if you should skip her nap, that might make her so overtired she couldn't get to sleep without difficulty (read crying hysterically in small airplane while you tear your hair out, lol).  And remember you're going to be in Logan for AT LEAST 1 hour before you can board your plane, more probably nearly 2 hours.  So doing a normal bedtime routine before getting to Logan will mean she would still have 1 or 2 hours of abnormal "being in airport" time before getting in the airplane.

I'd try to get her to take her normal nap unless it's 5pm to 7pm.  But if it's 12 to 3pm, or something like that, she could take it. Then you'll get to the airport with a calm and rested toddler who can run around the airport, look at the people, out the window at airplanes, smile and flirt with the people who will think she is so cute, etc.  Then she'll be getting tired as you get on the plane and perhaps after an hour or so after departure she'll be getting tired and you can sing her to sleep.  Perhaps she'll need to fall asleep in your arms and be transferred to her carseat, perhaps she can fall asleep in her carseat.

I'd say be super flexible, ready with a variety of toys, make sure you have lots of links so you can attach toys to her carseat and stroller so she can't throw them as you go through the airport, lots of snacks, a sippy cup or bottle for her to use as you take off/land (for her ears, unless she is still nursing), and then know that what you "normally" do to put her to bed will perhaps have to be thrown out the window and you'll wing it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from teaperson. Show teaperson's posts

Great advice from CT.DC.  You can't have too many toys and snacks.

Also, if you give the toddler some Dramamine Jr., you accomplish two things: avoiding air sickness, and making the kid drowsy (so you might get in a nap).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

[QUOTE]Great advice from CT.DC.  You can't have too many toys and snacks. Also, if you give the toddler some Dramamine Jr., you accomplish two things: avoiding air sickness, and making the kid drowsy (so you might get in a nap).
    Posted by teaperson[/QUOTE]

I would MOST DEFINITELY check with your pediatrician before giving a toddler dramamine.  (or was that a joke, teaperson?) 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Dram Jr is made for kids - not that it isn't a good idea to check with a pediatrician, but I'm sure it's not a joke and probably a great idea.  (I got so motion sick as a toddler - couldn't even ride to the store without vomiting.)  Dramamine is an antihistamine, nothing else.

P.S.  Although, I just read here that it's not indicated for kids under 2.  I'd still ask my doc about it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from memoore. Show memoore's posts

I moved to Boston from Phoenix in Feb with a 15 month old and 2 month old on the plane.  I totally agree that you should bring your car seat and buy the baby her own seat. The one thing I did learn is that you have to make sure the car seat has a sticker on it that says it's approved for air travel.  The other two things we did that worked were baby benadryl just before take off and a mini dvd player - for the 15 month old that is!  The flight was actually the easy part.  Getting through security was the pain! With a double stroller, two car seats, two babies, my carry on, diaper bag etc and people being unbelievably rude - that's the part you really need to prepare yourself for! 
    The dvd player also helped us on long car trips, not to mention the stuff you already know like snacks and drinks, etc.  Have fun!!!

Sections
Shortcuts