Tummy Sleeping

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Tummy Sleeping

hi everyone - first post in the infant/toddler group! I feel like a graduate. 

So, DD is 11 days old today. She will sleep on her back if very well swaddled, but she really prefers to be on her tummy. DH introduced her to a pacifier, much to my dismay, and now she will NOT sleep on her back without it, and she spits it out every 5 minutes which results in screaming. This morning I finally put her on her tummy and she slept beautifully...but I feel guilty/worried b/c of all the SIDS warnings. 

Any advice, suggestions? Right now I have her actually sort of wedged on her side, with a blanket rolled up behind her back. She seems to be OK that way as well, so maybe that's another option? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: Tummy Sleeping

I absolutely would not risk it. There's been a 50% decline in sids since the implementation of the back to sleep campaign. This wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_Sleep is a decent, non-terrifying explanation of WHY back-sleeping may reduce the risk of sids, but one of the reasons is that they DON'T sleep as deeply. Which blows for the parent, of course, but so do lots of things.

My daughter didn't like to sleep on her back either, but she learned eventually. Your baby will too!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Ditto Lemon.  Also you might want to invest in some swaddle me blankets to keep her snug and swaddled.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kiwiguy. Show Kiwiguy's posts

Ditto Lemon. Twice for good measure.

The pacifier is also a non issue. At 11 days old your DD cannot remember what she did 2 minutes ago, let alone last time she went to sleep, so you should be able to put the pacifier away. If she cries it will not be because she is missing the pacifier - she doesn't even remember it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I agree with the no tummy sleeping. Put her down on her back - she'll get the hang of it.
    Swaddle-me or miracle blanket will keep her snug and happy.
    If the paci is driving you crazy - get rid of it now.  Niether of my children used one - and my brother's kids didn't have one either.  It's not a necessary piece of equipment.
    congrats! and good luck.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Silver -- do you have the Happiest Baby on the Block book? It was incredibly helpful to us in those first few months.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from evavase. Show evavase's posts

Hang in there Silver!  

You are in the stage where sleep habits are non-existent and every night it will be a new (and pretty much maddening) experiment in attempt to get the baby to settle down!  I kept somewhat sane by reminding myself each night that the poor little guy was learning the difficult art of sleeping still.  

I am guessing that every time you put DD down on her back, she wakes right back up??  So frustrating, and I don't have any sage advice, b/c DS was like this in the beginning too.  He just seemed to finally get used to and your DD will too, it just takes time.  :(

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I agree that it's probably not worth the risk.  Just for reference:  my son was able to roll over from his back onto his tummy very early (I'd have to go back to his baby book to see when, but the pedi said it was very early).  He started by turning himself as far to the right as he possibly could while trying to get his LEFT thumb into his mouth.  That didn't work out so well for him, but he did end up on his stomach.  Once he did that, there was no forcing him to sleep on his back.  We always put him down on his back, and he turned over before we left the room.  At that point, we were assured that if he's strong enough to turn himself over, he's ok to sleep on his stomach, but not to encourage it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

My little one liked her tummy from birth to a few weeks, but tummy sleeping was only allowed if she was on my chest or lap or right next to me.  In the cradle it was swaddle and back, and I know how you feel because she had to be out, out, out otherwise within three minutes she was up and wailing!  I gave her a pacifier much earlier than with my first and oh the mommy guilt of me trying to figure out if there was some way to strap that thing on like those silly little pig noses with the elastic.  After a few weeks we got to know each other better and this went away.  Bless the rocking chair as that got me through the nights when she wouldn't go back down.  At about 6-7 weeks I learned that she wants to be swaddled like a sausage, the tighter the better.  I got the Miracle Blanket off Amazon and now instead of the chair I bless the blanket.  Baby is now 15 weeks and we are still using the blanket and she is sleeping from 7:30-3am and......ta da!  I don't need to rock her back to sleep anymore, yahoo.  At bedtime she will lay in her crib and wiggle a bit and go right down on her own.  It worked from the get go.  Likely won't work for everyone, but if yours likes a tight swaddle, it's worth the crazy $30 for the blanket IMHO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Thanks all. These are the answers I anticipated, so I appreciate the encouragement. I actually just got back from Target with 2 Swaddle Me blankets and a package of Anais swaddle blankets...let's hope those work. 

I am not anti-pacifier at all, I just don't like how she wakes up once it falls out (every 2 minutes, it seems...). I think it is all about the swaddle, and DH and I just need to get better at it so she's snug. Right now she's napping nice and snug and hasn't moved in almost 2 hours, on her back...so I know it is possible. 

If these dont work, I"ll look into the miracle blanket...and I'll try to work on my patience. ;-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Do any of you have any babies that hate being swaddled?  DD always sleeps with one or both hands up by her head, so she doesn't like having them swaddled at all.  She doesn't seem to like having her legs wrapped tight, either.  We usually do a loose swaddle under her armpits so her hands are free and she has a little wiggle room in the bottom.

It's just odd because so many people swear by the tight swaddle, but our DD wants nothing to do with it!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Silver my DS preferred sleeping on his side and the pedi was okay with that and said a blanket rolled up behind his back was fine.  DS also started rolling over early (4 months because I remember our pedi at his 4 month appt. not being thrilled with it) and has slept on his belly every since.

Pugs my DS never liked the swaddle so we never did it once we got home (the hospital pretty much forced us to swaddle him when we were there - if he wasn't swaddled they would swaddle him every time).  I'm glad now because we never had to break any swaddling habits.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Tummy Sleeping:
    [QUOTE]we never had to break any swaddling habits.
    Posted by LiveLoveLearnEnjoy[/QUOTE]

I don't think the swaddle is a habit that needs breaking. Or, if it is, it's a habit they break themselves because they just start busting out of it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Pugs - my daughter never liked the swaddle either.  She needed her hands to suck her thumb and just liked having her arms out in general.  When we were swaddling her, it was always from under the armpits.  Now she sleeps in a sleep sack (9 months old today!).

As for pacifiers, we use 'em and agree that it is a pain when they fall out.  DD seems to like it and we probably get up once a night to help her find it after she has lost track of it in her crib. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Pugs - All three of my kids HATED being swaddled.  I thought maybe I just gave up to early with my DD but and I swore I'd try longer with the twins.  I did do it longer with the twins but everyone was done with swaddling by 6-8 weeks.  They just cried harder.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

My two hated the swaddle as well.  DS would make all kinds of noise trying to twist out of it and bang his legs up and down until it released.  DD just wiggled and cried b/c she wanted her fingers.  We stopped swaddling pretty early and they slept much better (they also slept together for the first couple of months, but I don't know if that was a factor or not).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

It was only a couple weeks ago and it's already a blur!!!  At first we were putting DD to bed in a fleece swaddle me and sometimes we'd leave one hand out because she seemed to like it.  At that point, getting her down for the night took a lot of effort - much pacing around the dining room table and shushing in her ear.

Around 4-5 weeks, we watched the Happiest Baby on the Block DVD.  We decided to swaddle her in a blanket instead and try not allowing her arms out.  Since then she has slept better and getting her down for the night is no sweat.  I do think that part of this is coincidence, though, and it was just the right time for her to fall asleep easier at night.

Right now we only have one swaddle blanket so I really need to go shopping!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

FYI TJMaxx and Marshalls has swaddle blankets for 5.99, half the price of the ones at BRU but same brand. Just a tip! :) 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks all. These are the answers I anticipated, so I appreciate the encouragement. I actually just got back from Target with 2 Swaddle Me blankets and a package of Anais swaddle blankets...let's hope those work.  I am not anti-pacifier at all, I just don't like how she wakes up once it falls out (every 2 minutes, it seems...). I think it is all about the swaddle, and DH and I just need to get better at it so she's snug. Right now she's napping nice and snug and hasn't moved in almost 2 hours, on her back...so I know it is possible.  If these dont work, I"ll look into the miracle blanket...and I'll try to work on my patience. ;-)
    Posted by SilverFestiva[/QUOTE]

Miracle Blanket didn't work for us -- our daughter didn't like it and would squirm and worm her way out of it, and then there were all these long parts all over. She LOVED the Ultimate Swaddle blanket though -- http://www.amazon.com/SwaddleDesigns-Ultimate-Receiving-Blanket-Circles/dp/B000GG1ML4/ref=sr_1_3?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1302741342&sr=1-3 -- very similar to the Aiden +Anais ones, which we also loved. The best thing is to put a onesie on under the swaddle -- the friction holds the arms in place. The Ultimate has instructions printed on it (the same ones in The Happiest Baby) but I found that swaddle impossible to do. We did a really simple swaddle they taught us in the hospital:

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

The band on that should be higher up, around the elbows or a bit higher -- it helps keep the arms pinned. And you want the baby to have lots of room to bend her knees and move her feet around, for comfort and for hip development -- you don't want a tight swaddle around the legs at all.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Lemon, I love your drawings!!!  They're awesome!!!  HA!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Thanks, Grouse. I really pride myself on my artistic ability.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Just a note about the pacifier...IMHO, it is way easier to get kids to stop using a pacifier than to get them to stop sucking their thumb/fingers.  The pacifier can be put in a drawer.  You can't take off their thumb/fingers. :-)  Both of my kids were very oral.  DS came our of the womb with a sucking blister on his wrist.  He LOVED his pacifier.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

i hear you on the thumb-sucking, my nephew still does it, I think...and he's 13. :-( poor kid. 

So the Swaddle-Me worked great last night - she is breaking out of the Aiden/Anais blankets though but that could just be my sub-par swaddling skills. I'll let DH be the master swaddler with those and I'll cheat w/ the swaddle me. I know it could have been a fluke and not all nights will be perfect...but last night was about as perfect as they get!! 

I think during the day if I can't get her down I may try the side sleeping w/ the blanket rolled behind her. That's what my mom has been doing when she was here (left this morning, boo), and she likes sleeping that way too. 

She also is going through a growth spurt I think b/c she's eating more and more frequently...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]FYI TJMaxx and Marshalls has swaddle blankets for 5.99, half the price of the ones at BRU but same brand. Just a tip! :) 
    Posted by ajuly09[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip!  I need to hit up Marshalls tomorrow and was planning to see what they have for babies besides clothes.