TV Time

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Re: TV Time

Oh, I also won't listen to my EMINEM cd.  How is that for good parenting!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Winter, I hope I didn't offend on the ADD thing. I'll start another thread.
    I always thought the issue with the TV was the images, interesting that it's not the simple!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'm not offeneded at all, I'm just curious as to what you mean. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

From what I understand, one of the arguments against TV for babies is that it removes time that they would be interacting with the physical world.  That is, if they are looking at the TV, they are not practicing manipulating objects, learning what happens when they throw things, feeling new textures, trying out new gross motor skills, et cetera.

This doesn't address TV as background, and obviously occasional TV wouldn't be a crisis if this is the only problem, but it was one of the most compelling arguments to me so I thought I would mention it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I'm sure tv doesn't help one's concentration skills, and extensive tv viewing can probably lead to ADD-like deficiencies in attention span, but the ADD spectrum is much more complex than simply not being able to complete a task, and includes things like daydreaming (in girls), lack of impulse control, and putting oneself in dangerous situations. And if my daughter (who does not show any symptoms of ADD) is any indication, extensive tv viewing could probably lead to hyperactive-type behavior, because kids need to run around outside and experience things or they go crazy and act out. This past week of rain has resulted in some very feisty behavior from my perfect little girl.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: TV Time:
    [QUOTE]I've looked for info about ADD and parenting, but everything out there is about parenting an ADD child, not parenting with ADD.

Posted by ml2620-2[/QUOTE]

Winter -we should coauthor a book. It might be the last untapped parenting how-to market!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrsJay. Show MrsJay's posts

I understand it's a matter of preference and that there are TV people and non-TV people.  I am a TV person!!  My DD is now 4 and has always watched Play With Me Sesame, Curious George, Sesame Street, Super Why, Mickey Mouse, and kids movies.  I love to sit and watch with her to talk about and interact with what she is seeing on screen, or I can sometimes use the time to get things done although she ususally wants me to watch with her.  I also like that she is just as happy to have TV off and entertain herself.  I am told by others (teachers included) how smart and socially active she is for her age.  Our watching TV together did not hurt her one bit.  I think it has enhanced her growth by opening up conversation and opportunities to talk about letters, numbers and other important things that are a part of her world.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

At our 9 month pedi appointment recently, I asked the dr. about TV.  She said it's not great if DD is paying lots of attention to it, but if it's on in the background and she's not really attending it's not a big deal.  As I think some of you may have said, the reasons were less about ADDish stuff, and more about the fact that if she's watching TV she's losing out on that time she could be practicing other skills. 

She did specifically say she advises against putting a tv show on when giving DD her bottle, that she should be paying attention to eating while eating, versus paying attention to the TV and just eating whatever is in front of her (bad habit... one I can't say I've fully escaped myself).  So I had to break that news to my mom and MIL. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Poppy - I totally agree with the feeding/tv stuff.  Mindful eating is such a good thing.  Nevermind the fact that my car functions as an eat-in kitchen!

I disagree (for what it is worth) with the TV in the background particularly at this age and on.  Not to mention the fact that at this age they can now absorb all sorts of things they are hearing. 

Believe me when DD is older I will have no problems letting her sit for a few minutes to watch a show but I would rather be completely mindful of what she is watching than having it on throughout the day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I'll admit to being a "TV" person versus a music person or just peace and quiet person. When I was single I usually had it on - even just in the background.
    Now that i have kids we sometimes watch Elmo's world.  I watch something mindless during their nap - like Project Runway or something. And DH and I watch something in bed before I pass out around 10:00pm. I don't even watch football anymore when the kids are awake - something I really love.
    I don't think having the TV on - even as background is helpful to small children.  I don't want them seeing racy ads, or something bad on the news or Gordon Ramsey swearing at some cook.  I don't even want them to see those harpies on the View ranting about some nonsense.
    Best to concentrate on playing or singing or whatever.  Right now we spend a lot of time outside enjoying the weather and our new swing set.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Just to clarify - I am also a TV person, however I don't turn it on anymore unless DD is out of the room.  My last post was sharing what our particular pedi said about background tv, however I NEVER put it on when DD is in the tv room.  At most I'll turn on the toddler music channel, but will turn off the actual tv (the volume is through our stereo, so we can listen without seeing any image). 

It's been a hard adjustment for me (and moreso for my husband and my mother, I think), because in the past it was often on, even if we weren't actively watching.  A habit from the days when I lived alone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshine025. Show sunshine025's posts

Reading through these posts, many have mentioned racy commercials or too long in front of teh tv, but has anyone  watched Sprout Tv?
    I used to be a tv person, when I had time, now it is a luxury for a movie once a month!
    But I do know that when I am playing with DS in family room, I will put on a play with me sesame or sesame st, or one of teh short clips on sprout and sing with DS. He maybe looks at the screen 2-4 seconds, and then we are going along with whatever game or song we are playing.
    I think the non tv and concerned parents make valid points, but don't you think we look at too many studies in general?
    We can all think of people that fit in to the studies and those that don't apply.
    As a mother of a 10 month old, it's getting annoying hearing a mother make a comment of the zillionth study on how our kids will turn out.
    What happened to all those horrible babies 50 years ago that didn't have all these studies done?
    I just have an automatic annoyance with any conversation that starts with "studies have shown......"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Someone has to say it because I know my family is not the only one.  We have the TV on ALL the time. 

Until DD was 2 (and had a couple of night waking up scared and crying) DH and I watched mostly whatever we wanted to see (NCIS, CSI, Criminal Minds and the like).  Now we watch Nick JR mostly. 

DD, at 3, is an active toddler who may sit and watch a show but more likely, we're rescuing her toys from impending disaster ("Hang on, Pinkie Pie.  I'll save you).  Or coloring. Or flipping through a book. Or tormenting, ooops I mean playing with,  her 10 month old brother and sister who barely notice the TV at all.  They would much rather stare at their older sister.  We spend tons of time outside.  We run lots of errands together as a family. She "helps" me with laundry and cleaning.

In my opinion, TV isn't bad. I'll never forget something that happened when I was BF support group with DD1.  There was a woman there who had a small son and having a terrible timing feeding him.  Of course, everyone was super supportive.  But what I really remember about her, is when she asked my sister and I (my nephew is 10 days younger than DD) if we though it was bad that her DH was watching baseball while holding their sleeping newborn.  I always felt this was an indication of how crazy society can drive us with blanket rules like "No TV until 2".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE] it's getting annoying hearing a mother make a comment of the zillionth study on how our kids will turn out. What happened to all those horrible babies 50 years ago that didn't have all these studies done? I just have an automatic annoyance with any conversation that starts with "studies have shown......"
    Posted by sunshine025[/QUOTE]

Studies were conducted 50 years ago too. You just weren't paying attention because you weren't born yet. But people have been telling parents how wrong they are since ... well, probably since we started grunting and gesturing. "No, Ung, no bang rock like that. Your baby dumb. Bang like this. My baby smart." The studies and opinions can only hurt you if you let them. Personally, I listen to all the ones I agree with and dismiss all the others as faulty research.

As for the TV thing, it's been a self-correcting issue for us. Now that my daughter is old enough to do fun stuff, we don't have time for television. We watch the occassional show if one of us is ill, but for the most part we'd rather be  out doing stuff, or painting, or playing drums, or something like that.

I don't necessarily think TV would make my daughter stupid, but I do find that it's more difficult to get her to nap or do her chores when TV is in play. And since the only show I like is Yo Gabba, there isn't much motivation for me to have television on. I used to put tv on when I needed to get something done, but now that she can help, I'd rather have a conversation with her or sing songs while we clean or fold laundry or whatever. If she's asleep I'll watch Law & Order for company.

If I was a SAHM it would be a different story, of course. I have so little time with my daughter, I want to really enjoy the few hours we have together. But if we were together all the time we'd need a break from each other from time to time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

The TV is on a lot at our house, but it is only ever on Sesame Street for DS.  He loves Sesame Street.  He just turned two (today, in fact), but he's been watching Sesame Street for a few months now.

He still loves to read, he would still rather play outside, he still plays with trucks and puzzles and blocks.  But sometimes, he just wants to watch Elmo.  He loves the music, he's gotten better with counting and the alphabet, and he has learned some new words.  That being said, I do sort of worry about how much tv he watches.  But since he would rather play outside than watch Elmo, I'm okay with it for now.

We only have 1 tv in our house and it is not anywhere near the kitchen/dining room or bedrooms.  If he's playing in the tv room, he asks to watch Elmo while he plays.  Sometimes we say yes, other times we say no and redirect him to his toys or take him out from the tv room altogether.  I'm not a big fan of using the tv to babysit him, but it has enabled me to throw in a load of laundry or start dinner while he watches an episode of Sesame Street.  If he develops attention problems later, I'll no doubt blame myself and wish I'd done better, but for this moment, I'm not super concerned.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

If I was a SAHM it would be a different story, of course. I have so little time with my daughter, I want to really enjoy the few hours we have together. But if we were together all the time we'd need a break from each other from time to time.

No you wouldn't Lemon.  :)
    Or at least - probably not with TV.  I am trying to get my twins to amuse themselves once in a while so I can pay a bill or fold some laundry, but, like you we spend our days doing things together.  Elmo only comes into play when I need to get dinner on the table and DH isn't home yet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrsJay. Show MrsJay's posts

I am glad to see the TV supporters here!  Kids can watch TV and still be intelligent enough to be productive and happy little people.  I grew up on Sesame Street and purchased the Sesame Street Old School DVD set for my daughter, because I believe there is better learning quality in those shows than in the pc Sesame Street shows of today.  There is actually a disclaimer on the DVD that says it is not to be used for educational purposes!  I was very disappointed but am determined to show her how much fun learning can be, as opposed to having to be careful not to laugh and enjoy it as some groups seem to prefer it would be.  Stop being so careful with your kids and ENJOY THEM!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Let's not have this thread turn into bashing those who DO or DON'T choose to have the TV on with their little ones around.  You can enjoy your kids with the tv on, and you can enjoy your kids with the tv off.

As a first time mom, I'm going to trust my pediatrician in this area.  I am also one who grew up on Sesame Street, but not at age 9 months.  As soon as DD hits two I'm looking forward to sharing some of those shows with her and more likely than not she will grow up loving TV and movies as much as I do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I have a friend who doesn't even own a TV and sometimes I wonder if her son hasn't missed out a bit.  Because there are fun and exciting things on TV and I would hate not to have one.
    I love movies and can't wait until my kids are old enough to watch some kids films.
    And I'm seriously thinking of buying some Looney Tunes DVD's.  I loved Bugs Bunny so much as a child (and so did DH).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

I agree with Poppy.
    Like I have said, I have every intention of allowing DD to watch tv when she gets older. 

I was just responding to the tv on in the background all the time and in very young children.

And yes, it does get very old hearing about studies.  However, there is no other way to attempt to insert some objectivity (and I realize all studies are not objective).

Personally, I have all sorts of theories of how are brains are getting rewired up just because we don't spend time hunting and gathering anymore. Hard to know if ultimately it is all for the better or for the worse.
    Is it leading too more depression and anxiety? 
    Who knows??

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Oh dear god. I didn't mean that SAHMs don't enjoy their time with their kids as much as I do! I meant that if *I* was a SAHM I would go completely insane if I didn't sit my daughter in front of the tv once in a while so that I could get stuff done. All that "MAMA! MAMA!" stuff can be overwhelming even now when we just have a couple of hours each night and then the few hours between sleep and naps on the weekends. As it stands, I have this insane compulsion to make our weekends enriching and enchanting, so we're almost never at home. And when we are at home, we're doing arts and crafts or something like that. We even baked cookies because I thought it was something one is supposed to do as a parent. I hate baking. And when she was younger I did sit her in front of the tv when I showered  or cooked dinner (now she can "read" while  shower, or help me prepare dinner stuff, so I don't need to). If it made her any dumber, then maybe she was too smart to begin with, because today she put on a raincoat and said, "Mommy, I'm cool in this jacket, like Han Solo. Cool is a synonym for very great." (she actually said something more like "syminim" but the intent was there)

I think that tv is like most things in life -- fine in moderation. The problem you run into is when they turn into a slug and sit around watching it all day. TV should be the reward at the end of a productive day, like it is for grownups. Or would be if I had a cleaning lady.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

[QUOTE] Or would be if I had a cleaning lady.
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]

Ha, ha, lemon!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Lemon - I didn't mean that SAHMs don't enjoy their time as much as you do either. I meant that if you were at home you'd be just as enchanted with your LO over 8 or 10 hours as you are over 2 or 3 and weekend time. Laughing
    Do I get tired? Yes! Would I like a break sometimes? Of course! But there is so much joy in watching them grow and laugh and learn that it outweighs any negatives.
    I turned our dining room into a playroom and that's where they go when I need to throw in laundry or make a phone call.  It's gated and there is no furniture in there.  Just toys and playmat flooring.  It's a super fun place where they are safe.  They  still mostly parallel play in there, but it does help them learn to amuse themselves while I'm in the basement with another %$#@# load of laundry.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Misslily - I have all the Looney Tunes DVD's and they are AWESOME!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

[QUOTE]TV should be the reward at the end of a productive day, like it is for grownups. Or would be if I had a cleaning lady.
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]

Or if you choose to ignore the cleaning, like I usually do, in favor of precious tv time.

Sections
Shortcuts