twins sharing bottles - question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LowellwTwins. Show LowellwTwins's posts

twins sharing bottles - question

For anyone with twins or caring for twins, did you let them share bottles or do you always keep them seperate? My husband and I kept everything separate at first because we needed to carefully track how much each baby was eating due to weight gain issues. Now that they are older--and sharing toys all day that seem to go straight to their mouths for endless chewing--it seems like a lost cause keeping things seperate. We kept pacifiers seperate at first too, but again, endless toy-chewing-sharing so also seems like a waste of energy.

They are both healthy, so say baby A doesn't finish a bottle, but baby B just drained his and is still hungry, does it makes sense to just give him the other bottle? I asked my pediatrician and she didn't really get it at first (she doesn't have much twin experience), then she kind of reluctantly said it might be okay if I swap out the nipples...

What do other people do?? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: twins sharing bottles - question

Yeah -  I stopped worrying about that kind of stuff really early. They are together all the time and if one catches something the other one is going to get it. As you say, they are chewing on the same toys and once they are big enough you will probably bathe them together. I wouldn't even bother to swap out the nipples.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I don't have twins, but I have found that when DD is playing with her cousin, they will grab each others sippy cups and drink from them, even when I was trying to keep them seperate. I think especially with twins it shouldn't be a big deal, unless one has strep or some other bug that requires antibiotics

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I'm laughing that the pedi suggested switching out the nipples on the bottles.  She definitely doesn't get what it's like to have twins.  Like MissLily said, if one of them gets something, the other is going to get it sooner or later and it's just a losing battle.  And if they have their mouths all over the same toys and are playing close together, (wait until they start sticking their fingers in each other's mouths) etc. switching out the nipples is really the least of your worries and a waste of time.  My kids shared bottles and still share sippy cups on occasion.  I don't know if you've introduced solids yet, but we fed the kids out of the same jar/bowl using the same spoon for both of them.  My advice is to just surrender to it and relish the fact that your kids are going to get more practice with sharing than most other kids their age. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I was just thinking about what Daisy posted. Once we started solids I fed them out of the same bowl with one spoon too. I don't know any twin moms who tried feeding two at once with two bowls and spoons unless one had some super strange dietary thing.
    Makes me glad that my pedi is a triplet dad!
    BTW - mine are at home with me and they didn't catch their first cold until they were 14 months old. And when they did, they got it (and they now get everything) within 24-36 hours of each other.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

We didn't do it too often but that was mostly because DS and DD use different types of bottles.  DD gagged on Avent bottles which we already had from DD1, so we use Tommee Tippee for DD1.  DS will use DD's bottles but DD shoves DS's right back at you.  ;-) 

I've never tried to keep things separate.  I knew from DD1 that it becomes a losing battle so why go crazy in the beginning either!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

agreed - fuhgeddaboutit and preserve your sanity!  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LowellwTwins. Show LowellwTwins's posts

Thanks everyone! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Interesting.... and this child care director nearly had a heart attack (quietly and subtly.... in my office) when she saw a parent letting one twin finish the bottle the other had started!  so I shall GET OVER IT! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

CT - I've read a bunch of twin books and every author (mother of twins) says they did the same thing.  Every MOT I know personally says that they fed them both from the same bowl and spoon once they started solids.
    They have been together since conception. There is no way to keep one from getting something the other has. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

CT--I get that the sharing of food and drinks in a daycare setting is heavily frowned upon and/or forbidden (and often for good reason), so I understand why that would be entirely counter to your sensibilities.  BUT siblings and other family members share all the time--drinking from the same cups, eating bites of each other's food from the same fork or spoon, etc.  Growing up, my siblings and I would share a bottle or glass of milk/juice/soda (backwash and all), try licks of each other's ice cream cones, etc., so why should bottles be any different?  Outside of daycare, sharing food/drink between siblings (not just twins) is the norm, and if one kid is sick, other family members are probably going to get sick one way or another anyway.  Again, as a daycare director, I understand that your responsibilities include making sure kids AREN'T sharing food, but it's funny to me that you'd have such a strong reaction to a parent sharing a bottle between her kids.  (SO NOT trying to be offensive here and definitely NOT my intent, so I apologize if this post comes across as confrontational in any way whatsoever!)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What home with teens hasn't served orange juice and milk that the kids haven't taken "secret" swigs out of to everyone out of glasses at the table as if it didnt' happen?  It's just life.  Siblings will have their mouths all over each others toys, spoons, bottles, sippy cups, binkies.  Even if you tried really, really hard to keep their germs to themselves, you couldn't do it so the attempt would be just a feel-good farce!  Not to mention that a child that is sanitized is one that is sick all the time, ironically.  Let them build each other's immune systems. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I think bottles makes people a little antsy because with singletons no one would think of letting anyone else touch the n!pple. Most people wouldn't let a 2 year old take a swig and then give it to the baby. And we all spend all this time washing and sterilizing this stuff - well - most people do...I got over the whole sterilizing thing pretty quickly.
    But twins are different - they share everything - from mommy's n!pples to bottles to pacis and teethers - right from the start.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Daisy, you're right, it's my childcare training and hyper reactivity to germs (developed in childcare, my mother was not a germaphope)

Becuase of course I shared cups, spoons, etc. with my sister.... It's just that once you become a teacher or director of a childcare center you get a wee bit hyper about germs, sharing of bottles, cups, pacifiers, forks....  and forget that in the 'real' world things run differently.  We MUST be careful not to allow bottles, sippies or pacifiers to be left on low shelves where other children can get them and drink from them....  we must be careful that older babies aren't crawling over to other babies sitting in the highchair and eat either from that child's tray or from the ground underneath...  and, yes, I think it's the sharing of bottles that gets me - for some reason that seems grosser than sharing cups?  But our babies certainly mouth toys and then another baby mouths them (unless it's REALLY been mouthed and chewed on for a while, in which case we remove that and wash it before putting it back in rotation... gotta try to keep them germs at a minimum)

My Asst. Dir. and I were reacting to the sharing of bottles by this set of twins because in a center you just wouldn't allow it.... but of course I really do get the concept of twins sharing everything, from the womb on, and I certainly know that when one child gets sick others do, no matter how we try to keep it from happening!  But again, we didn't do anything in front of the parent, just had a private 'ew, yuck!' moment in our office.   :)

But then, I am now obsessive about washing my hands, now that I'm in childcare - I practically want to spray a diaper table in a house with a bleach and water solution after each diaper change!  (I don't do it, of course!)  And this from a woman who was never taught to wash her hands before she ate dinner, or even really after we peed!  My mother was incredibly blase about all that type of thing.... we could be digging in our sandbox and come right in and pick up our sandwich... no worry about germs for my mother! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

CT - you sound like my husband. Do you wash your hands after putting on your shoes?  He insists that they are so dirty that everyone should wash hands after putting on shoes.
    Last time my MIL was here she went to make him a sandwich and put teh bread on the counter. He stopped her and told her he wouldn't eat the sandwich unless she tossed out that bread and started again with a plate or clean cutting board. (BTW my counters are extremely clean).

I grew up like your mom - and it's funny how I'm the one who is never sick. :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

oh, wow, your husband is crazy! Wink

No, my handwashing is only around being in the center and diaper changing. We have so many germs everywhere, and honestly, I don't get sick very often and I think it's because I am good about washing my hands when I enter the room, after nose blowing/wiping, etc. etc. And having a good constitution helps, too, whatever that is!  Oh, I also will wash my hands before I cook.  Didn't used to. Wasn't raised to do that, unless there was dirt dripping off our hands, lol.  And, yes, I was NEVER sick growing up except for getting chicken pox and one bout of a throw-up bug; I still remember getting to stay home from school that one day!  So cool.  Never happened again.

And I cut food on my cutting boards without (horrors!) cloroxing after chicken before cutting veges.  I do wash my cutting boards after something messy, and don't on purpose mix chicken juice with other stuff, but no cloroxing with those clorox wipes!

My husband doesn't like me to feed our cat in a person bowl - although we can use a person utensil (spoon) to scoop the food into the cat bowl, so that doesn't make sense, but whatever!

And honestly, I hope his mother told him he'd either eat the sandwich she made or he'd make his own, tossing bread out, indeed!  Hmpph!Wink  She must wonder what she did to raise him?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, I can see why having them share bottle nipples might be different, but with twins I just can't fathom doing anything extra that isn't really necessary, although, I realize "necessary" is a relative thing.

Had to solve the cat bowl/spoon mystery for you CT-DC.  It's not the cat food he has a problem with, it's the cat's tongue.  So, people bowl that the cat will lick disgusts him.  Using a spoon that the cat won't touch is OK.

I don't wash my hands after putting on my shoes, having them in the dog's mouth, or pretty much anything (except using the restroom!) unless I'm about to prepare food.  And, I have to admit, I have a thing about food that gets on the counter, too, though.  I could eat it, but when it's up to me I prevent it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Kargiver,

I'd go with your theory, except that he will TOTALLY feed the cat ice cream from his spoon (the moment he did that I fell deeply in love with him) that he's using to eat his ice cream, and also she drinks milk from his glass - and then he continues to drink from same glass (she can only drink when it's really full to the top, after all, given her short tongue). 

See?  Inconsistent man, but I do love him!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Whoa, that really debunks my theory, alright.  He's an odd one, indeed, but we all have our little quirky, inexplicable ways! ;)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I am 100% guilty of letting my cat eat out of people bowls.  She's actually conditioned to appear out of nowhere when she hears the spoon/fork clinking (the initial association was leftover cereal milk...then ice cream).  When we were still dating, DH commented once about it--something about it being unsanitary.  I looked at him, raised my eyebrows, and asked if he let his parents' dog lick him.  He said he did.  And I asked "on the face?"  He saw where I was going but confessed that he did.  My response was "And this is unsanitary?  At least I'm going to WASH the dish with soap and water when she's done."  We haven't discussed it since.

I do, however, draw the line at eating something AFTER she's licked it.  Blech. :)  I'm not a dog person to begin with, but I am totally skeeved out when a dog licks me and usually end up running to the nearest sink to wash whatever body part has been "contaminated." 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Yeah, I hate being licked by dogs!  But by a cat, not at all..   I've finally learned to be ok when a friend's dog licks the back of my knees... but I just can't allow a dog to lick my face.  Just. Can't.  We had golden retrievers growing up and they learned 'no licks!' when around me, and yet they could lick my sister's face to their heart's content!