Two naps down to one?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nelson617. Show nelson617's posts

Two naps down to one?

My one-year-old daughter has stopped sleeping through the night. She gets up for about two hours, usually from 12:30 am -2:30 am (ish).  I wonder if it's time to switch her from taking two naps a day down to one.  I dread this - I love that she takes two naps on the days I work from home!  But I also dread being awake for two hours in the middle of the night every night :)   Anyone been through this?  How did you approach it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tigger32. Show Tigger32's posts

Re: Two naps down to one?

My son switched to one nap around 12 months and the transition went very smooth.  He started sleeping better at night and his one nap was around 3 hours just after lunch. 

For us the switch mainly happened when it did because he was moving from the infant room to the toddler room at daycare and the toddlers only take one nap.  His teachers told me he adjusted easily and during the day he wasn't tired or cranky.  We did notice he started taking a little power nap in the car on the way home each night so we just moved his bedtime earlier while he adjusted to the new nap time.  Gradually we pushed bedtime back as he got used to the one nap routine. 

I would make the switch on a day when you are not trying to work from home.  That way if she gets cranky it will be easier to handle.  Just be patient and give her a few days to a week to get adjusted to the new schedule. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from teaperson. Show teaperson's posts

One thing to try before giving up the nap would be making bedtime later.  That might make her tired enough to sleep through.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Graves22. Show Graves22's posts

My daughter was 15 months when she dropped from 2 naps to 1 nap.  It is typically a 3 hour afternoon nap, but it does help with her sleeping through the night.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sher. Show sher's posts

i think my daughter was about 17 months when she dropped a nap (interestingly she dropped the afternoon nap and still takes her morning nap). I don't remember her having any sleeping problems during the night when it was time to give up that nap, just fighting us at her afternoon nap and wanting to play and play. her bed time is and has been 7:00 (well, that's when we start the routine: wash, brush, up to her room, read, prayers, sing and into bed at 7:40ish) and she sleeps through most nights. they will go through phases where they wake in the middle of the night. she might just be testing to make sure you're still there. rest assured that she will outgrow this (and then go through it again and again).

good luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

Just like the other posters here, my son began sleeping through the night when he was a little more than a year old. After that, it was 1 nap a day usually from about 12:30-3:30pm. It must just be a natural progression. My guess is that the days of 2 naps per day are over.

Sections
Shortcuts