Typical daycare policies

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Typical daycare policies

I went on my first interview for a daycare provider today and we went over some of her policies that seemed a little strange to me. I know that once I go on more interviews I will have a better sense of what's normal or not but for now I thought I would pick your brains.

One major one that stuck out to me is that if she is sick and has to cancel daycare we still pay for the day. 

Also, she takes 2 weeks vacation a year and we still pay for those weeks.

Finally, if we take vacation we get 1 free week and then we pay for the other weeks that we take off.

From your experiences is that pretty normal? I should add that this is a home daycare on the Cape.  Thank in advance!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: Typical daycare policies

We have a center so it is a little bit different.  But it is definitely normal that you pay for the vacation weeks.
    Because of the center vs. home, I'm not sure if you paying if she is sick is normal.  But I do know that we still pay if there is a snow day.
    You should check out the highlighted thread at the top of the infant and toddler board -- CT-DC posted *AWESOME* assistance for questions to ask daycares, and it really helped me a lot.  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

That all sounds normal - and the fact that you get one week "free" for vacation is awesome.  We have to pay our home daycare provider for two weeks of vacation for her, plus all of her sick days, plus a few holidays, and if we go away on vacation we still pay for that week.  It's brutal!  But, we absolutely love our daycare provider and our DD is happy there, so it's worth it in our opinion!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I agree with rama about the vacation week!!

one thing about the sick pay... it sounds really inconvenient now, but if you think about the fact that if she was really ill (and not able to properly care for your child or likely to get your child ill) losing pay may motivate her to work despite her illness, which you wouldn't want.

if you are looking at home daycares, one other thing to ask is how much notice you get before they go on vacation or close for a day- I remember this coming up somewhere and it isn't on CT's list because that is center based.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Yes, sounds typical for a home daycare.  My home daycare takes 2+ paid weeks of vacation plus most of the holidays.  We also have to pay for any days we keep DD home (sick, vacation, etc.).  Now that I'm used to writing that check every week, it really doesn't phase me if we're paying her for a day where DD isn't even there.  Plus this woman is a saint for taking care of my baby every day all day - she deserves a vacation!  But I know that a lot of this stuff was surprising for DH when we first started interviewing daycares.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm glad to know this is all pretty normal.  I mean I would rather not pay for days when she's sick but I can see the upside as Winter points out. 

Also, I asked about how much notice we get for vacation and she said she usually knows 6+ months in advance so no issues there. As for sick days we wouldn't know until the day before or that morning. Luckily for me my work is pretty flexible and can be handled from home if need be so I don't foresee a huge problem with that.

Thanks again!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

CLC - sick days pop up with no lead time whether it is the provider who is sick or your baby.  Either way you have to call into your office at the last minute. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Even though I get the instinct to bristle at things like paid sick days and vacations, I think it's important to remember that daycare providers are professionals and are entitled to the same benefits that most of us take for granted in our professional lives. At least, I would want the daycare providers I choose to consider themselves professionals and conduct themselves accordingly. So, yes, that includes the ability to be sick or rest and recharge without having to worry about either scenario causing financial hardship.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

thank you, kiwigal!  ah, people thinking family childcare providers are professionals... makes my heart happy.

everyone else gets 2 weeks vacation (at least) and paid sick days and about 9 federal holidays a year.....  so my teachers should and so should those providing chlidcare in their homes.

But I know how shocking it is until you think about it, then it makes sense!

I've had parents surprised that they have to pay their monthly tuition even if they are on vacation - until I point out that the # of teachers for the day doesn't change if their one child is out that week! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

It is very nice to see people considering Home Child Care providers as professionals. They are professionals. They have to undergo licensing and continued professional development.
    One thing to keep in mind when you get confused about paying for your home provider's time off. If you think about it from the viewpoint that you are paying for a spot, then it makes sense.
    I would definitely make sure that you are clear on the notifications for time off.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

CT - my husband grumbles when ds is home sick, there's a holiday or we go away on vacation for a few days and we still have to pay for a full week. I then always say to him "Do you expect to get paid when you're out for the same type of days? How is this different?". Love love love our dc teachers! DH and I both value them greatly and especially love that they notice the little, unique things about ds (like how he can sit through several books and listen attentively while I know other kids do not).

clc, some of your concerns were why we ended up going with a dc center. We checked out a neighborhood home provider that was recommended, but with her vacation days, holidays and inevitable sick days for ds, it was not a good match for us (since we don't have family in town close enough that could watch ds as a backup).

Sections
Shortcuts