Useful little things for shower gift?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

Useful little things for shower gift?

Good afternoon!
    I'm going to a baby shower tomorrow (I know, Last Minute Lucy, here!!). A friend of mine who has twins suggested that I put together a basket of stuff that she found really useful when she had her babies. Things that you need suddenly, but don't necessarily want to run to the store for. She suggested batteries (AA, AAA and C), gas drops, baby tylenol or motrin, hand cream, diaper cream, etc...Can you all think of anything else that would be good to add? 
    (also, I realize that there is some conflicting medical info on baby pain relievers, but I feel like I'll add them in case they want them, and if they don't, they won't use it...)
    Thanks in advance!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Re: Useful little things for shower gift?

hand sanitizer, LOTS of burp cloths, PJs or one piece things with feet on them, Dreft laundry detergent, a lingerie bag for the laundry to keep all their little socks in (helps not lose socks, also we had a $100 washer repair from a tiny sock being sucked up before we knew about the lingerie bag trick), one of those chunky nail salon nail files (sometimes easier on NB nails), hmm... what else....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I'm not sure if these are along the lines of what you had in mind, but here are some things that I found very useful - some of them right away and some later on.

Caps to keep her head warm indoors
    Mittens so she couldn't scratch herself
    Nail clippers
    Sleepsack or swaddle
    Baby wipes - fragrance free
    Dishwasher basket for bottle parts
    Bowls & Spoons for feeding once we started solids

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Does this mom to be have a registry?  Personally, as a mom ( and now a mom of a kid with sensitive skin) can only use certian products, so i registered for those, special diaper cream, lotion, shampoo etc.  Maybe on the registry she registered for these types of things that you can add to the basket (thermometer, bottes, pacifiers, all the small stuff) and put in it one basket.
    Doing a basket is a great idea, but I also find the most time consuming!  If there are already these things on the registry, then you don't need to do any guess work.  If there isn't any of that type of stuff then by all means buy what you would like. 
    Gas drops and acetamenophen are good ones,  the "nose freda" is a great tool when kids have colds.  I love the mustella products, they have baby body wipes etc that are very nice, lotions etc.  Hand sanitizer in a small size for a diaper bag and the nursery.  
      Sorry, it's friday and i can't think of anything else right now..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Honestly, I'd get her storage bins. She will probably get a ton of clothes of all different sizes and with the bins she'll have an easier time bringing things home from the shower, sorting clothes into different sizes and getting things set up at home.

I remember being really overwhelmed by all the stuff at my shower. When my mom brough over bins a couple of days later, it suddenly seems more managable.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

Awesome ideas, ladies! And I love the storage bin idea!
    She doesn't have any of this kind of stuff on the registry, and she's a first time Mom, so I'm thinking that it just hasn't really crossed her mind, yet.
    Please feel free to add any more that you think of!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

If she plans to nurse, lanolin cream and maybe some nursing pads.

Disposible changing pads - at the beginning, they came in handy because DS would pee and p00p while being changed - and after stripping and washing 2-3 changing table covers in less than 24 hours (DS was extremely good about saving the pee/p00p until we open the diaper at times), so we got some disposible changing pads and that helped save our sanity during those frantic first weeks.

Portable diaper change gear (like hand wipes to put into a diaper bag, bags to put a dirty/poopy diaper into and a portable wipe container).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

I have to say, that my favorite non-registry items from my shower were toys and books!  Things that I would have never thought to buy for the baby...and was so glad that we had.  What I really loved, and will give to future pregnant friends, are big bold black, white, and red newborn books - my DS loved looking at those when he was tiny!  I wish I had had more than one. I also loved this "O-Ball" type toy that we got that was great for the newborn.  It's a really lightweight ball that when the baby is about 6-8 weeks old and starting to reach up and grab things, it's a great first toy to "play" with.  I also agree with the baby spoons/bowls/coated bibs because I never thought to buy those either and when the time for solids crept up on us we were all set.  Extra burp cloths are great, too. We have a total of 21 (I counted one day) and we used them all allll the time. 

I think what I appreciated a lot is stuff he didn't need until he was 6 months old...you use so much new stuff right away, then suddenly when the baby is older and has new needs, it's still fun to have new gifts to use! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Add in triple paste.  I always give it along with shower gifts to all my new mommy friends.  It is the BEST diaper cream.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I saw this on pinterest and thought it was cute:

http://littlebabygarvin.blogspot.com/2012/01/my-baby-shower-new-mom-survival-kit.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Phillips head screwdrivers in small and medium for opening all those battery operated toys - and yes AA and AAA batteries.
    Triple Paste
    Baby wash cloths - I thought I could use regular size ones, but the baby ones really are easier.
    Towel with a hood
    baby comb and or brush
    I love our forhead scanner thermometer - it's expensive around $50, but someone did give it to me as a shower gift.
    Teethers

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I have been giving everyone nursing pads lately, the Lansinoh ones.
    I would steer away from lotions and bath products because the scented ones can be irritating for some babies and a normal sized bottle takes FOREVER to use up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I've done baskets a few times:
    white kimono shirts
    white onesies
    tube of desitin (or triple paste, whatever, but for the diaper bag)
    travel-sized pack of wipes for diaper bag
    washable waterproof pads (I put them on the changing table on top of the cover...)
    travel sized containers of shampoo, lotion, antibacterial, etc for the diaper bag
    nail clippers
    outlet covers
    a couple of books and/or bath toys
    hooded towel and washcloths
    white cloth diapers (can use for burp clothes, wash cloths, just about everything!)
    a journal and a nice pen (depending on the person...I started a journal the night before DD was born and I love it...if it's something I think they'd be into)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

I use a laundry basket to "wrap" the gift. There's always more laundry and it costs less than a gift bag. A package of bigger size diapers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Throw in one or two nice things for her that aren't about body maintainance...something for a Me break during those times when the baby doesn't particularly need anything but there isn't enough time for any big project and the housework can wait.  Books, books on CD, magazine subscription, crossword puzzle book, hobby or craft if she has one.  My oldest would be wide awake and perfectly content just hanging around for about an hour and a half in the middle of the night and it was nice to have something set aside to do during those times.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

A dozen basic washcloths, it's so handy to have a stack close by for spills, spit up etc.

I never found burpcloths useful, but there's always some small yucky mess that needs a quick swipe and washcloths are perfect.  Saves money on papertowels, plus, an ecofriendly solution.  You're always doing laundry anyway so you can just toss 'em in.

I like white because you can bleach them if needed, but any color will do.

I also,  second the idea of some treats for mom.  Small treats go a long way for new moms.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Bibs. While a newborn won't need them, once bub is on solids (or in the incessant drooling phase) s/he will go through a TON of them.