Vacation Recommendations?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

Vacation Recommendations?

Thinking (dreaming) about taking a vacation with the family (LOs are 1 & 3).  

I'd like someplace family friendly, and affordable, with manageable travel time.  I'm considering local/newengland options as well as potential carribean type locales.  I'd rather not do a total kid disneyland type trip.  

Any recommendations?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Re: Vacation Recommendations?

It depends on your idea of a fun vacation.  We're planning on going camping next year when DDs are 1 and 4.  We went last year when DD was 2.  We're big camping fans, though. There is almost always a playground at a campground, and usually a place to swim.  Camping itself is an adventure for the kids.  We always research ahead and figure out some good day trips from our home base.  Last year we camped in Truro and had a lot of fun in Provincetown and on Coast Guard Beach, which was a 1.5 mile walk from where we camped. This summer DH is camping with DD #1 in the yard since I vetoed the camping-with-an-8-week-old idea. 

We haven't done much in the way of hotelling with kids, other than a wedding last fall. 
    I remember going to Storyland when my little siblings were little.  I was like 12 and rolling my eyes the whole time but the 3 of them loved it.  I don't know if it's too big for a 1 year old, though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

White Mts in NH- storyland, santa's village, hiking areas, swimming holes, etc

Sesame Place (not sure where this is but I think it's fairly close to New England?)

York/Ogunquit Maine- York Animal Kingdom, beaches, downtown York

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to Re: Vacation Recommendations?:
    [QUOTE]White Mts in NH- storyland, santa's village, hiking areas, swimming holes, etc Sesame Place (not sure where this is but I think it's fairly close to New England?) York/Ogunquit Maine- York Animal Kingdom, beaches, downtown York
    Posted by summerbride09[/QUOTE]

All "great suggestions" summer.  Sesame Place is near Philli I believe.  Am told english is the fourth language spoken there.
    Yup......

http://www.sesameplace.com/sesame2/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Bermuda! We went last summer when DS was about 22 months and I was 6 months pg. It's a 2 hour direct flight from Boston. Every place we went to on the island was incredibly family friendly, including afternoon tea at the Fairmont in Hamilton. The people we met could not have been any nicer or more accommodating to our whole family. We stayed in an apartment in a small rental building. It was ideal. There was a separate bedroom, so we could still read or watch tv during naps or at bedtime. We had a small kitchen so we could do a number of meals at the apartment. There's an on-site pool, and it's right across the street from a great playground and a 10 minute walk from the beach which has the perfect protected cove for small kids. The name of the place is Clairfont Apartments. (Corinne, the manager, is amazing!) The one thing to keep in mind is that there are no rental cars in Bermuda. You have to take the bus (super convenient) or taxis to get around. We never had an issue with either. Taxis are usually biig mini vans, so there's plenty of room for a family and gear. We're already planning a trip back because we loved it so much! Happy dreaming and planning!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wherever you go, I highly recommend www.coolibar.com for sun protective wear - hats, cover ups, swim shirts - SPF 50 stuff for the whole fam. I just got a hat and swim cover up that I'm thrilled with, and my SIL has shopped there for their upcoming cruise. I love reducing my need for sunscreen!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Just remember that Bermuda doesn't warm up for swimming in the ocean until July or even August.  We stopped there during a cruise in May a few years ago and it was warm and lovely, but everyone there said you couldn't swim in the ocean until ti warmed up in July/August.  We had no intention of swimming on our 1 day trip, but would have wanted to if we spent a weekend or week there!

I always thought Bermuda was expensive, but the way Kiwi did it sounds like a great idea.  We loved the island, and it is easy to get around (my parents spent a week down there every year and loved it).  Even without kids, it's nice to be able to do breakfast without paying an arm and a leg at a restaurant.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

We have gone to Mexico (mayan riviera) or Dominican Republic every year.  I have not brought my kids yet, but will this coming spring.  I have a 3.5yo and a 5mo old.  You will need passports, and the only drawback to me is the scary thought of a medical emergency while abroad, and I also worry a bit about travelers diarrhea, which my husband and I both seem to get when we vacation down there (although a 5 day course of cipro takes care of it haha).

I love the all inclusive resorts there, and you can usually do a full 7 night trip for under $1000/pp including direct airfare from Boston (about a 4 hour flight).  You can eat whatever you want, and try new foods.  The food and water are clean there, but I think I always get sick from the huge amts of alcohol and fruit I consume!!   The ocean is also calm and warm like bath water.  The pools are gorgeous and right outside your hotel room.  There are usually tons of families there.  The ride from the airport is usually only about 15-30min and is included with most vacation packages.

Who can beat gorgeous weather, ocean front property, all you can eat and all you can drink with direct airfare?  I cant wait to go!

I love the Iberostar chain, if you are looking for somewhere to start.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

In response to "Re: Vacation Recommendations?": [QUOTE]Just remember that Bermuda doesn't warm up for swimming in the ocean until July or even August.  We stopped there during a cruise in May a few years ago and it was warm and lovely, but everyone there said you couldn't swim in the ocean until ti warmed up in July/August.  We had no intention of swimming on our 1 day trip, but would have wanted to if we spent a weekend or week there! I always thought Bermuda was expensive, but the way Kiwi did it sounds like a great idea.  We loved the island, and it is easy to get around (my parents spent a week down there every year and loved it).  Even without kids, it's nice to be able to do breakfast without paying an arm and a leg at a restaurant. Posted by CT-DC[/QUOTE] We were in Bermuda in late June/early July and the water was plenty warm enough as was the outside air! The locals told us that the real heat and humidity settles in about mid June. Now our ideal time would probably be March or April as we are not heat people, but that's not in the cards with a teacher's schedule.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Great post! I have no great recs, but I'm looking for something local too - a long weekend trip.  For those of you that have been to Storyland (I'm guessing that this is too far for a day trip), do you have any recommendations on where to stay? Preferably with a room large enough for 2 PNPs and maybe a pool on the premises?  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

I have heard that a fun place to stay in North Conway (which I don't think is too far from Storyland) is Adventure Suites.  http://adventuresuites.com/

I haven't stayed there, but have friends who have, and they enjoyed it.

When we go up there (don't go to story land) we stay in Jackson at The Wentworth. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

There are many places to stay in North Conway that have big enough rooms and a pool.  Can't recall the two places I stayed in at the moment.  We did three days there.  Went to Storyland one and a half days day and drove to Santa's Village the next day.  My son who was 3 and than 4 loved it.  It would be great for younger ones too. I know when I went if you bought your ticket after 4 you got the next day free.  So we did maybe one or two things that short day and then came back the next morning.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

We just stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites in North Conway-after this last trip I do NOT recommend it. We've stayed there before and had a decent time. This time was just horrible. They have notices that the quiet hours are 10pm-6a and the managment doesn't care about anything before 10pm! We had to call because people were being ridiculously loud at 8pm when we were trying to put the baby to sleep (like shaking the lights in our room loud). The mgmt was so rude I actually called corporate to complain about them.

But there is the Residence Inn, Holiday Inn, Adventure Suites, Red Jacket Inn, and a couple of smaller named places-these are all located close to the N.Conway shopping.

We had an absolute blast at Story Land with DS 3.5 and DD 10 mo. It's really geared towards younger kids-DS could go on every ride.

DC is another fun place to go. Lots of free museums, and the zoo to explore. Great food, and no need for a car if you stay in/close to the city-metro everywhere. But Pools and relaxing not so much...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oceangirl503. Show oceangirl503's posts

Trouble - a great place to stay when going to North Conway is the Seasons - http://www.seasonsnh.com/. The seasons has affordable condo rentals that are spacious enough for kids.  There is also a clubhouse with a pool and a game room.   It's closer to Storyland and out of the downtown North Conway traffic.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In Response to Re: Vacation Recommendations?:
    [QUOTE]We just stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites in North Conway-after this last trip I do NOT recommend it. We've stayed there before and had a decent time. This time was just horrible. They have notices that the quiet hours are 10pm-6a and the managment doesn't care about anything before 10pm! We had to call because people were being ridiculously loud at 8pm when we were trying to put the baby to sleep (like shaking the lights in our room loud). The mgmt was so rude I actually called corporate to complain about them. But there is the Residence Inn, Holiday Inn, Adventure Suites, Red Jacket Inn, and a couple of smaller named places-these are all located close to the N.Conway shopping. We had an absolute blast at Story Land with DS 3.5 and DD 10 mo. It's really geared towards younger kids-DS could go on every ride. DC is another fun place to go. Lots of free museums, and the zoo to explore. Great food, and no need for a car if you stay in/close to the city-metro everywhere. But Pools and relaxing not so much...
    Posted by KAM2007[/QUOTE]

Is it bad that I really wanted to take a trip to NH with DH and stay at Adventure Suites, even before we were thinking about having a baby? I guess now that she's here and whenever we might take her there, it won't be as weird as two adults going there...haha :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

I remember when the adventure suites wasn't so family oriented! that's how long I've been going up there...At one point in time the hotel that was there advertized "heart shapped tubs." ;)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

When we drove to Canada we staying in Residence Inns all the way up. LOVED those hotels. We got two bedroom suites. They had full kitchens. We were able to put the kids down for bed and then eat and watch TV in the living room.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Storyland is geared to little kids -even a 1 year old can go on most rides. We have friends who own a condo right across the road from Storyland, and I know that they rent the condo out when they can't go up there, as do most of the other owners in the complex (plus some are pure rentals). I wish I could remember the name of the place. But it is loads of fun, and there are outlet shops and good restaurants in North Conway if you aren't into the hiking/kayaking/swimming stuff that the White Mountains offer in the summer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

there are tons of condos and rental houses in the North Conway area, too.  We have rented a few times (from VRBO.com) and had good experiences.  That doesn't give you a pool, most likely, though.  The last place we stayed was down the road from echo lake, which was beautiful and perfect for kids.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

If you do choose the Storyland area, I think your best bet is the Marriott Residence Inn.  Nordic Village/Luxury Mountain Getaways in Jackson is nice, too.  They have a nightly bonfire, with entertainment for the kids and s'mores.  

There is a beautiful, very kid-friendly resort in Myrtle Beach, that we loved - Marriott Oceanwatch Villas.  They have tons of amenities, all two bedroom condo-style rooms, and a couple of great pools, one of which is zero-entry and designed for kids.  

We tend to go to Florida because it's so easy to get to.  If you're at all interested in Disney, but don't want to be immersed in it, what we do is stay about 10-15 minutes away at a Marriott Vacation Club property that has plenty of amenities.  You can go to the parks as much or little as you like, and then spend the rest of the time at your resort.  There are several in the Orlando area, but I like the Marriott Cypress Harbor, and Grand Vista.  For some reason we always end up at a Marriott Vacation Club property.  Some are better than others, but they are generally great facilities, and we can often get a decent deal.

Sections
Shortcuts