Vacation Sleep

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Vacation Sleep

Hello everyone!
    Having returned from vacation, I have some vacation sleep questions.  We had a nice time, but it was a little rough on the LO.
    She is 11 months and she did not sleep well at all.  She slept in a pack and play in her own room.  We tried to keep the routine as consistent as possible.  But most nights she wouldn't go to sleep on her own, and then she woke up frequently crying really hard.  It seemed to get worse as the week went on.  I mean, I totally get it.  I missed my bed, too!
    We have never done a full on CIO approach, although we usually put her down awake and there is usually no crying (but we will let her fuss for a couple of minutes).  But I am definitely not going to leave her to CIO in a strange place.  So I am looking for a little wisdom...
    1) Is there anything I can do at home to prepare?  Should I bust out the pack and play and let her get more used to it?
    2) Is there anything I should do when we get to vacation?  Hang out in her room more?  Nightlight versus no nightlight?  (She doesn't have one at home, but we also have a lot of streetlights.)

We're going to try again soon, so any insights would be great!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: Vacation Sleep

Hi Medford - sorry your LO didn't sleep well!  :(  I was wondering if you put her to bed awake or asleep while on vaca?  (I saw you said you usually put her down awake, but was wondering if that applied also to this vacation). I found when we go away and DD is in her P-n-P she really needs to be out or almost out when I put her down.  Unlike home where I can put her down awake but sleepy, and she'll usually go to sleep.

Also, I really have no way of knowing if this is actually helpful for sleeping, but I hang blankets over the outside of the p-n-p (usually just two of the sides) so she can't see out the mesh.  They don't hang down enough inside for her to grab them, they just prevent her from opening her eyes and seeing a strange room.  Something to try, perhaps, but obviously not if you're not comfortable with covering the mesh.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks, Poppy!
    Yes, we usually put her down awake at home, but that only worked 1 or 2 of the vacation nights.  We ended up mostly soothing her to sleep the other nights, but then we had many many wake ups during the night.  I actually ended up sleeping with her 1.5 nights, which I've never done before.
    I just wasn't sure if this was the norm for being away from home or if there was something different we should be doing.

The blankets might be a good idea -- we were debating whether it was better when we put a nightlight in (not so dark) or worse (can see more unfamiliar stuff more easily)!
    So hard to do a carefully controlled study...  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I'd say make the pack and play smell as much like home as possible, let her sleep in it a couple nights before your trip, keep the same sheets on the bed if possible, same jammies and blankies - maybe even sleep with the blankies yourself so it has your comforting smell. It's worth a try.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I think that a lot of kids don't seem to sleep well in strange places.  It happened to us all the time with DD.  She would sleep well at home, but always poorly while we were on vacation.  She grew out of it around 15 months or so.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

We also just returned from a week away.  We also used the P&P and it worked ok.  DS doesn't hang out much in it at home, but I had the same sheet on as is usually there, and I brought his two stuffed animals and his music aquarium that we play when he goes down for sleep.  A few times were a struggle, especially naps, but other nights, when he was tired he was happy to go down.  And he woke up once every night (which he doesn't do anymore at home), but was soothed back to sleep all but one night.  We brought him into bed that one night he was just inconsolable (also something we've never done, but we were at a campground and I didn't want his crying at 2:30am to wake up the whole place.).  We also had a fairly loud air conditioner going (we were in an rv trailer) so not sure if that helped him tune out a lot of stuff.

I sometimes don't sleep great in strange places either, but we adults are just better at getting back to sleep then the little ones. So I agree, they will hopefully grow out of being unsettled.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod1818. Show capecod1818's posts

Great post and ideas.  We are leaving for vacation next week and I am a little worried that DS will be waking up frequently in his p-n-p.  Crossing my fingers that he doesnt.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Medford, this exact scenario happened to my close friend with her DS last summer when he was 1, this summer he sleeps much better when they are on vacation.  Not that this solves anything for you, but last year they decided to stay home instead of going to their vacation house because their DS was miserable. This year it's great for them, so hopefully your LO will outgrow it too...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I'm happy to hear these ideas, and also happy to hear that a number of people have dealt with this and it improved as the baby got older.

I think I'll let her stabilize for a week or two (napping has not been good since we got back) and then get out the pack and play.  We don't use it at home at all, so it had been a couple of months since she had seen it.  That's probably a long time in baby time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

The only other thing I would add to the suggestions above is a trick that we discovered on a recent trip. (DS is a bit older, however, about 21 months.) We brought his sleep sheep with us (has had it since he was born). While the first couple of nights we had a hard time getting him down (fine once he was asleep), one time during a fuss he grabbed the sleep sheep off the dresser and pulled it into the crib. Then he changed the sound. For the rest of the trip we let him have the sleep sheep in his pack n play and when he would rustle during the night, he'd push the button on the sheep and settle right back down again. Amazing. We were so happy to have found that out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

We had to travel with our twins when they were 18 months old.  I ended up staying in their room until they fell asleep every night.  Sometimes it took an hour.  And I went right in the console if they woke in the night.
    Also took the sound machine with us.
    Asked the pedi before we left about having them sleep in the P&P before going and he said it wasnt' worth the effort.
    For me it just isn't worth traveling again until they are a little older!
    :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I would also like to thank you all for the suggestions!
    We're going to San Diego for a week and I'm mostly dreading the whole thing.  It wouldn't be so bad, but DD's daycare happens to be closed the week before, so she will already be off her normal routine.  She naps so much better at daycare!
    Trying to find help while daycare is closed is a whole 'nother story...
    Sorry, haven't had my coffee yet!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Medford, we just got back from vacation with DS - we were only gone 4 nights and 5 days but he did pretty well.  he's only 5 1/2 months so I was happy how he did.  we had him take only 2 naps in the pack n play prior to going away so I was a little nervous myself but he did great.  It probably helped that we brought a fan, had all the windows open (so he had nice fresh air), brought his nightlight, and his sound machine...  in addition there was a rocking chair in the room.  I did have to rock him down each night which I don't do at home (we tried the first night putting him down awake but after 2 mins of crying i just rocked him), but I didn't want him waking up everyone in the house.. there was one morning where he woke at 3 and I had to feed him in order to calm him down (he was screaming for whatever reason).. usually i don't feed him anything till 6am..  the others day he slept till 5ish.   

Sections
Shortcuts