Vacation with an 18-month old

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Vacation with an 18-month old

DH and I will be marking our 5th anniversary in March and we'd like to take a nice trip to celebrate. DS will be about 18 months in March and will definitely be coming with us. We'd like to go someplace with nice weather that can be reached by a direct flight. We like the beach well enough, but also would like to be able to do some other kinds of kid-friendly activities while we're away. We're open to kid-friendly resorts, too. Any ideas? I'd love specific recommendations of places and hear about any of your experiences. TIA!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

Re: Vacation with an 18-month old

We've travelled quite a bit with our kids.  When my oldest was 5 months old, we took her to Puerto Rico and had a great time.  A year later, we took her to Costa Rica.  We rented a car and stayed at a resort on the water.  We did the stuff at the resort, but also drove all over the place - to the volcano, jungle preserves, etc.  She loved it and we also had a great time.  In a couple oif weeks, we are heading to Jamaica with both kids.  We've decided to go to an all inclusive family resort, as doing our own thing with two kids in a foreign country worried me a bit (although this summer we went to Seattle and Vancouver with both girls, doing different thigns each day and enjoyed it).  I hope this helps. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Re: Vacation with an 18-month old

We are big Miami/So. Beach fans.  Partly b/c my brother lives there and we have gotten really familiar with it.  Plenty to walk around and do, tons of restaurants, plus beach... the only bummer is the cost of some of the waterfront hotels.  You CAN catch a deal though, we have before.  There's a hidden gem of a Days inn or Best Western that is beachfront, just a little north of the heart of So. Beach, but it still has the boardwalk, it has parking, and is literally a 10 min walk or a two second drive to actual So. Beach that we stayed at once.  Also, there are some great toddler friendly activities besides the beach.  You would need a rental car or a cab, but there's a GREAT children's museum in Miami too as well as a small zoo-like place called Jungle Island pretty close to So. Beach.  We went went DS was 15 mos and just again over Thanksgiving (he's almost 2).  What works well for us there is that DS is a good stroller napper, so we can stroll around, shop, grab a coffee or a gelato, walk the boardwalk, etc., without feeling like we have to get him to a hotel at naptime.   
    In terms of tropical destinations from Boston, the Dominican Republic has a lot of direct flights as well as the Bahamas.  My only thought with some of the islands is that some destinations tend to be all resorts/all-inclusives, so unless you are at a big all-inclusive resort that has kids activities and excursions to offer, you may not get that feeling of having tons to do.  I think it would definitely depend on the island and the resort.  You can get GREAT deals though.  We did an all-inclusive for our honeymoon at Sandals and LOVED it... plenty to do and we loved not having to hassle with rent a cars, finding 3 meals a day, etc.  JetBlue (which we have a bunch of points to burn up on) is running some deals/specials at Beaches, so we are heavily contemplating going next fall after #2 is about 5 or 6 mos old.  If that interests you, I just thought i'd mention it since JetBlue seems to have some specials going on.  Unfortunately, not sure if any of the Beaches islands are available on direct JB flights or if you have to connect through anywhere.