Vaccines?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Re: Vaccines?

In response to CT-DC's comment:

A few nursing mothers have told me that they nurse their baby while their baby gets shots, that something about nursing helps the baby handle pain during the event and afterwards.  And it's not the same as taking a bottle - it has to be nursing (so it's the act of nursing, not the getting sustenance that makes a difference) They swear by it, I don't know if it's La Leche league hokum or real.  But it can't hurt!

Having a bottle can have a similar effect; it's also partly the act of sucking that can be soothing. I did this a couple times when my DD got shots.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I pushed hard for the Dr. Sears schedule but my husband would not hear of it, it was his adamant parent thing. We vaccinated on schedule and in return I got to have DD baptized in my parent's church. I now have no regrets, she did fine with her shots, no reactions what so ever. Actually, I think she tends to nap well on shot day.

That said, don't make big plans for "shot day." Plan to hang close to home and not do 1000 errands or anything. 

Now, I am very pro-vaccine and it honestly makes me angry that kids can attend my daughters school and interact with her with just a note saying "they aren't vaccinated due to religious reasons" (which 99.9% of the time has nothing to do with religion).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to ml2620-2's comment:

I pushed hard for the Dr. Sears schedule but my husband would not hear of it, it was his adamant parent thing. We vaccinated on schedule and in return I got to have DD baptized in my parent's church. I now have no regrets, she did fine with her shots, no reactions what so ever. Actually, I think she tends to nap well on shot day.

That said, don't make big plans for "shot day." Plan to hang close to home and not do 1000 errands or anything. 

Now, I am very pro-vaccine and it honestly makes me angry that kids can attend my daughters school and interact with her with just a note saying "they aren't vaccinated due to religious reasons" (which 99.9% of the time has nothing to do with religion).

I think parents who refuse vaccines should sign a waiver that they acknowledge the possibly life threatening risks they are subjecting their child (and the child's peers) to. (ETA- does this already exist?)

About not making plans- also a good idea. DD has fallen asleep on the ride home from the pedi's office after her shots once, and she's NOT a car sleeper. Though it reminds me, after her last shot (it was only Hep B) she cried the hardest EVER at the pedi and I felt so, so bad that I took her to Walmart after and bought her a new toy and we went home and played. She had no clue what for, but it made mama feel better lol.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GlitzyCity. Show GlitzyCity's posts

I really like the suggestions about making sure grandparents/visitors are up to date on TDaP and the flu. We are due in August so I'm thinking the flu shot likely won't be available until winter?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GlitzyCity. Show GlitzyCity's posts

Oh another question: I see that DTap requires 3 doses, at age 2 months, 4 months, and 6 months. (And I think one more further on.)

Do babies start to recieve protection right after that first shot at 2 months? Or are they still vulnerable to the illnesses until they've completed all 3 doses? Or maybe it's more a gradual building-up of immunity? Probably more a question for the pedi, but thought I'd throw it out there. :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

We also vaccinated on schedule.  I'm not opposed to the spreading out that other posters have mentioned (why would I be?), but I do think it's worth mentioning to moms of infants that my DD got progressively better after each visit.  The first visit fter she had started daycare was at 4 months.  I had taken the day off, which was good because she cried and cried and then napped for hours.  The next time she got shots (6 months), I also took the day off, but it turned out to be unnecessary because she didn't cry so much or get wiped out that time.  Next time (12 months), I brought her to daycare after.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I got my flu shot in September last year. And as long as people get the shot before flu season really starts I'm sure everything will be fine.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to GlitzyCity's comment:

I really like the suggestions about making sure grandparents/visitors are up to date on TDaP and the flu. We are due in August so I'm thinking the flu shot likely won't be available until winter?

The flu shot probably won't be available til Oct-Nov as it normally is. Any flu shot you get before that would probably be last year's shot. The vaccine is updated each season with a few of the "most likely to be circulating" strains of the virus (which is why it doesn't provide 100% protection).

Also in terms of the 3-dose vaccines- they don't have full protection until after getting all of the doses. They build up immunity over time. The first time a child gets the flu vaccine it works the same way- they get 2 doses and aren't fully covered til after the 2nd one.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

For older kids-a lollipop works great to help distract from the pain from the shot. My kids always took the shot easily, sometimes though they'd get a swollen lump a week later-and as they get older it does get eaiser-right back to school for them now!

It's really nice to be at the end of the vaccine schedule with DS-only yearly flu shots and the boosters when he's 11!

It's a blessing and a curse-our day care will kick out a kid if they are not up todate on their vaccines. Curse since DD's been threatened to be kicked out-but the doctor refused to administer her shots one time since she was sick-and the time I had scheduled was beyond the 24 hours day care had given me to get her up todate.

Funny-we haven't heard any anti-vaccine opinions here...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

KAM - how was the second MMR?  I believe they do it at 4 years?  The nurse told me a while ago during one of DS's earlier appointments that they have the hardest time with that one, because that one actually really does hurt.  And by then, the kids are old enough to know what is happening.  The good thing about shots when they are so tiny... they have no idea they are coming and will have absolutely no memory of them at all.  Doesn't make the 30 seconds of crying any easier on the mom.  We also did the schedule the doctor perscribed.  Starting with some in the hospital I believe.  We also just had a sleepy baby afterwards... no ill effects.

BTW, when do they start putting the shots in their arms vs. their thighs?  DS is 2 1/2 and has only had them in the leg.  I had a shot not too long ago and it went in my arm. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Not to cause trouble, but say you ask people to get a shot before they see your kids. How will you know if they actually do? What if someone can't get the flu shot? I have a friend who can't have it.

Since DS is 12.5, we are done with shots for awhile :) He was quite happy when he asked his doctor last September at his appointment. He gets the flu one through his nose not a shot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Just made me think: the only vaccine that I delayed was the Hep B with DD.  And that was because she was only 5lb 7oz at birth and 4 lbs 13 oz when we went home...I wanted to wait until she'd gained a little wait.  We got her back on track quickly.  With DS, who was 2 lbs bigger at birth, he seemed so much heartier, so we went on track from the beginning. 

And with DS, I didn't do a flu shot for him this year, because he wasn't old enough until flu season was well behind us...she offered it, but we talked about it and especially with the 2 shot series for your first time coupled with a mild flu season and the fact that I'm still nursing and I had the shot, my pedi and I agreed to wait until the new vaccine for the fall.   

I think the biggest part of any of it is having the discussion in advance, not as you see the nurse or doctor come in with all the needles!  And also making sure you don't project your own fear of needles onto your kids, if you have one...especially as they get older.

Also, way worse for me than watching the vaccinations was the blood draw at 9 months and 2 years...I'm already gearing myself up for the 9 month draw for DS next month!  Oh, and checking ears if there's an ear infection...holding a squirmy baby still so an instrument can get down his ear is tough physically and emotionally!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

IPW-I think DS did complain about his arm hurting later that day, but he was a trooper when he got it-though he did have a lollipop when he got the shot. I did have that apt at the end of the day just by chance-so no back to school for the kiddos. A little tylenol and he was just fine. I think when DS really could express his preference where he wanted the shot was when they would got to the arm he chose.  The thighs are easier-more meat there...

What might have helped with DS and his second MMR was his sister was also getting shots and he offered her up first-so he saw it wasn't really that bad. Admittedly she huddled in the corner (15 mo) sucking on her lollipop after. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Winter - I don't make it a requirement that everyone who touches DD has them.  I did ask my parents to get them becuase after DH and me, they spend the most amount of time with her.  They see her daily, are our back-ups for daycare sick days, and watch her 2 days of the week.  Had they adamently refused, I wouldn't have withheld DD from them.  Just an extra layer of comfort.

What is the 9 month blood draw for?  DD didn't have that done.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

November, if I'm not mistaken, I think its to rule out lead.  There could be other testing of that blood, but I'm pretty sure those were the results that we received (no lead!)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to Novembride's comment:

Winter - I don't make it a requirement that everyone who touches DD has them.  I did ask my parents to get them becuase after DH and me, they spend the most amount of time with her.  They see her daily, are our back-ups for daycare sick days, and watch her 2 days of the week.  Had they adamently refused, I wouldn't have withheld DD from them.  Just an extra layer of comfort.

What is the 9 month blood draw for?  DD didn't have that done.

They do a CBC and check for lead exposure. My DD didn't have hers done at her 9mo appointment only because their in-house lab was closed that day. Our pedi said we'll do it at her 12 mo. appt.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nov, if it makes you feel better, the triplets didn't have a blood draw at their 9 mo appt, either, and there wasn't any mention of it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Nov-we've done the blood work at the 1 yr apt, it's just been a finger stick to collect some blood. Both of my kids have been fine with it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Interesting - DD has done 2 lead tests and it was a full out blood draw, not a finger prick.  My pedi usually does it at 1 yr, but since we live in a really old apartment, they did it at 9 months and I asked them to do it again at 18 months since DD was much more mobile then.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Both our lead tests were finger sticks. No big deal for either twin.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

If you claim a religious exemption to shots then your childcare center (and school) must accept you.  BUT if you have been getting shots, then if you are late with your shots, then your childcare center can ask you to leave because we will be cited by our licensing agency for every child who is not up to date.  In DC I must hit 98% compliance with shots in order to be relicensed every year.... and given that nearly every second of every day a baby is hitting 6, 9, 12, 15 or 18 months there is always someone who turned one of those ages yesterday who is now outdated, and that counts against us....  it took 4 months to get to 98% compliance last year after our licensing visit passed us with flying colors!  SO frustrating.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Sections
Shortcuts