Vitamin D deficiency?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Vitamin D deficiency?

I thought I remembered someone else posting in the past about being diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency, but I can't find it. Anyway, I tripped and fell when I was out walking last week and ended up with a fractured metatarsal bone in my left foot. I had a follow-up with an orthopedist today. Luckily, the fracture isn't too bad (just 4-6 weeks in a walking boot...yeah, that's easy with a 3yo and and 11 month old...), but he was very concerned as to why the fall resulted in a fracture. He strongly suspects a vitamin D deficiency. I had the bloodwork drawn today, so we'll know in a couple of days. He said that I am definitely at risk because I am still breast feeding. I thought I had been doing a decent job because I eat fish at least once per week, drink fortified milk and juice, and take a calcium/D supplement every day. If anyone who has had a deficiency diagnosed could weigh in, I'd appreciate it. What was your therapy? How long until you saw results? TIA.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Effrontery. Show Effrontery's posts

Re: Vitamin D deficiency?

My doctor and my son's nutritionist both told me that the current recommendation on vitamin d is way too low and probably will be revised in the future. My doc wants me taking 1000 IU per day in addition to my (pretty darn good) diet to get back on track after my labwork came back low. So that ends up being about 200% of RDA. My son's nutritionist thinks kids should get 3000 IU (1000 3 times a day) and pregnant or nursing moms should take 8000 (she was pregnant when she told me that, and that was what she was doing, but that seems a bit extreme- don't know if our bodies can even absorb that much as a supplement. Anyway, make sure you are getting enough sun (without sunscreen). Not enough to burn, just enough so your body can process the vitamin d you are eating.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've read that vitamin d definciency is actually rampant in the US now that sun exposure is so warned against. We've traded one problem for another! I can't add to what Effornt said, but wanted to say sorry you broke your foot, that must be painful.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Kiwigal,

I was just diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency last week, after I had surgery on the metarsal that goes to my big toe (broke bone, reset with pin in it to realign it)....  and after 4 weeks the xray showed I wasn't healing as quickly as the doctor would have thought.... and my Vit. D levels read as 22.6 nanograms/ml while NORMAL range is 30-100 but they are starting to change their thinking and increase think that perhaps a better range is in the 40-50 range.  And mine is 22....

So immediately I'm on 5000 IUs (one pill/day) so that's 35,000 IUs a week, and I'm to follow up this Wednesday with my primary care doctor, who could decide to put me on prescription Vit. D which would be 50,000 IUs a week (that pill is taken once/week).  But my podiatrist surgeon put me on the largest over the counter, so 5000 per day.  I wouldn't take this amount forever, but at least at this point, to try to get my bone health better to promote better healing.  My doctor won't estimate when my lovely boot can be removed - which I think is a bad sign that I shall have this for many more weeks...

I actually don't wear sunscreen very much (and not at all this year) but I'm not outside much.  I don't eat as much fish, I hate milk except on cereal, and I don't eat much yogurt (milk and yogurt are fortified with vitamin D); who knows how long I've had this deficiency, since it's not tested for in our routine yearly bloodwork.  From now on I shall INSIST on being tested.

Since last week when I got my diagnosis, I've met 2 other women who both are vit. D deficient, one on prescription and the other who was on a prescription and is now on 1000 IUs/day, and now you!  I've never heard of this before last week. 

I usually like WebMD for info, here's a link re: vit. D deficiency..
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide/are-you-getting-enough-vitamin-d

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

I was vitamin D deficient when I was pregnant. I had a physical before I got pregnant and my Dr tested for it (1st time I'd ever been tested) and my levels were fine. My OB tested me again along with all the other pregnancy blood tests early on and I was super low. She gave me a prescription for 50,000 units twice a week. After a few months, we tested it again and the level was much higher. Now I take 2,000 a day plus the 1,000 in my multi. Next time I have a check up, I will ask to have it tested again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Kiwi - it was Poppy that had the deficiency a year or two ago. Hopefully she can chime in during all of her free time with her DD and new DS! :) My DH was also just diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency last week. His doctor put him on 1000 IU/day. Also I read the label of the brand he bought and it said it should be taken with food. Not sure if vitamin D is something that is better absorbed with food but it's worth looking into. It would be a shame to remember to take your supplement every day and then have it all be for nothing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

So sorry about your foot! That must be near impossible with two little boys! 

I was the one who went to the doctor's thinking I had PPD and was diagnosed with Vitamin D deficency, if this is the post you are thinking of. Poppy also was later diagnosed with a Vitamin D deficiency.

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a982ab641-9368-4d63-9123-280cf0ac364aForum%3a41ef5f16-e634-4f31-b052-eab905b86d8bDiscussion%3a38ccb58c-c8bc-4436-abcf-c6fb97e9e3d1&plckCurrentPage=2

I was exhausted and my brain just did not work, foggy and just wouldn't process (at the time I think DD was 6-9 months, I was definitely breastfeeding). I was put on 5,000 IUs per day for 6 weeks. I saw results probably within the first week, clearer thinking, better rest.

I recently had this virus I couldn't seem to shake, thought it was a reoccurance of Lyme but it was apparently just this weird month long achy tired virus that was going around.  They again recommended Vitamin D suppliments so I take a 1,000 IU Vitamin D with my breakfast, on top of the multivitamin that contains another 1,000 IUs at lunchtime and the symptoms were gone within 24 hours. I will stick with the 2,000 IUs long term, because I do feel like it makes a difference.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Wow. Thanks so much for all the responses. I guess this really is pretty common (unfortunately.) I have to admit that the doctor kind of freaked me out yesterday with his concern about the state of my bones. I know that I am not "young" anymore (40, almost 41), but I thought I had time before I needed to be worried about osteoporosis or osteopenia. I guess I had also assumed that I really just needed to concentrate on calcium intake and didn't fully understand the connection with vitamin D. Hopefully it will just be a matter of getting my D levels right on track!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Yes, and you need to take Vitamin D with food to help it absorb.

I remember being 24 and getting a facial and the woman suggested I start using eye cream and I was shocked (and mad)! Of course, she was right, wish I had listened. Now, at almost forty and watching my parents and aunts and uncles age I'm realizing, I have to really take care of myself now so I'm not hobbling around like my aunt and uncle in another 30 years! It's scary to think we have to be preparing now, but it's true!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I'm sure I must be vitamin D deficient. I never go outside in the sun and I"m terrible about taking my calcium or vitamin D. I'm having a check up tomorrow - I better ask! I'm older than most of you and my grandmother did have osteoprosis.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Yes, Vitamin D deficiency is a growing problem. My friend was just put on precsiption vitamin D, as her level was something like 8. She doesn't eat very much dairy, and is super vigilant about sunscreen, since her mom died from skin cancer. I'm not sure if there was a reason why she was tested, or if it was part of a routine physical, but I'm going to ask about it at my next physical.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I would also like to say thanks for all the info.  DD's pedi usually reminds us to give her vitamin D (tri vi sol), so it's been in the back of my mind as something to consider for myself.

ML - I started using eye cream at 28... My older sister said, What do you think I look wrinkled?!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I asked today and my PCP said she tells all her patients to take 1,000 units a day and 1,200 of calcium with food.
    I've also read that in the summer if you are outside with arms and legs exposed to bright sunlight for 15 minutes 3x a week it should be enough. And that it does no good to even try for the sunlight option in the winter - the rays aren't strong enough to do any good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I was also diagnosed after DS- and was on a 1000 unit prescription for a while. it didn't seem to be enough- the 50,000 dose (for me once per month) is apparently in another form- and more readily absorbed by some people, so I took that for a while. however, once i was pregnant again, they took me off of it, and I went to a 2000 unit dose per day. 

I don't wear sunscreen (I rarely burn) on my arms or legs, but I do wear a facial sunscreen every day. But I work a lot of hours, and only see the sun on the weekends (if I see it). I also do at least a gallon of milk a week with vitamin D added... however, it is only with these crazy doses that I stay in the normal range- with a daily prenatal vitamin (Which already has the max daily rec. dose). 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Well, I just got the call from the PA and my levels were well within the normal range at 55. So, I guess I was doing OK, and the fall was an unfortunate break (pun intended.) I will definitely keep an eye on my vitamin intake going forward, though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Late to the party.  I was diagnosed I think when I was pregnant with DD, or just before, but it was similar to ML - mainly related to mood and energy.  I actually had no idea it could affect your bones and that is a bit alarming!  I'm thinking I should get checked again.  Kiwi - glad your levels came back ok.

On a similar note, how many of you do or did give your infants the vitamin D supplement Fram mentioned?  Our pedi recommended it for DD, but the new pedi we have since moving hasn't mentioned it yet for DS (granted, he's not even 2 weeks old).  Many of my friends pedis never mentioned it for their kids.  Just wondering how common it is to give.

Eye cream!  I ran out just before having DS.  Am going to Kiehls tomorrow to get some.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

poppy- same here RE the child dosing. I bought some yesterday assuming that the pedi just hasn't mentioned it yet... I went through the handouts they give at each visit last time around and it didn't say. I honestly can't remember when I started giving it before...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Kiwi, yeah, unlucky break! :) anyway, that's good you don't have a vitamin deficiency and weakened bones!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Poppy - I was wondering the same thing.  I wanted to ask a few friends if they give/gave their LOs vitamins, but didn't want it to come across as judgemental.  I had thought it was something the pedi wanted us to give DD until she was eating a normal diet, but at her 15 month appt the doc reminded me again to keep giving DD the tri-vi-sol every day. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

If you're formula feeding or regularly supplementing with formula, my pedi said we didn't need the Tri-vi-sol, because formula, like whole milk, is fortified with vitamin D.  But we did give DD the drops until she was about 5 months old, when the balance of formula to breastmilk started getting heavier on the formula (she'd stopped nursing at 2 months, and I pumped and supplemented until 6 months, then switched to formula).  Thanks for the reminder; I have to get some drops before this new one arrives!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

The PCP called and said I was borderline deficient and need to take 2,000 units a day and come back and get checked again in 3 months. Thanks for bringing it up or I never would have known to ask! :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

I'm on 5000 a day and getting rechecked in 2 months....  I also have to up my calcium intake because calcium helps the D be absorbed.  For some reason my doctor doesn't want me to get my calcium via supplement, wants me to eat it.  I have to get organized and eat better, for sure!

Sections
Shortcuts