waltham vs. woburn YMCA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from arugulacm. Show arugulacm's posts

waltham vs. woburn YMCA

Does anyone have feedback on swim lessons at the Waltham or Woburn YMCA?  Trying to decide which one to go with for Parent / Child swim lessons.  DD is 2.    

thanks

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Re: waltham vs. woburn YMCA

I don't know either Y but I was a lifeguard/swim instructor for years at the Y in New Bedford.  At YMCAs there's a set curriculum and for the young kids especially they only have instructors who volunteer/have experience working with parents.  You're likely to have similar experiences at either place, so make your decision based on what place has a better schedule, is easier to get to, better parking, etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Re: waltham vs. woburn YMCA

I am also not familiar with those Ys, but I go to the South Shore YMCA in Quincy - They give tours and explain all the benefits if you are interested in becoming a member, I'm sure they'd let you see the pool facilities before you signed up for classes. I've done Water Babies, Parent & Tot and Pre-Pike with DD (she loves swimming), and the classes are all very fun and age appropriate. One thing to consider/check out is that in Quincy there are two pools. The smaller one where the baby classes are held is considerably warmer than the bigger pool, which is great for the babies and nice for the parents, too. If there is only one pool, it might not be as warm, and therefore might not be quite as pleasant.
    Also check out the locker room facilities - There are boy, girl and family ones in Quincy (plus seperate men's and women's). The girls locker room has two changing tables, plus a large number of benches for changing after class. Don't know if the boys locker room had changing tables, even if DH was in the pool with DD, I usually took her to the girls room to change. I like having the kids locker rooms separate from the adult ones, because when you are trying to wrestle a baby/toddler out of a swim suit, it is nice that everyone else in there is trying to do the same, and you aren't in the way of someone trying to hustle out to spin class or something. It is a more relaxed atmosphere.