weaning follow up- what/how to eat after 12 months

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

weaning follow up- what/how to eat after 12 months

DS is 11 months- and I have been really fortunate with BM supply until about 2 months ago.  I still feed AM/PM and on the weekends, but I am pumping about 5 ounces a day less than he needs. I have quickly gone through my frozen stash and will be out in about a week. My desire is to continue with the AM/PM feeds for a little while, but I want to stop pumping when he turns 1.  I need to know what to do during the day, because I am exhausting myself trying to keep up with the amount he needs.

(1) Logistically- we would be switching to milk in a month. Does it make sense to add some formula for the month, or just transition early? Would I add a cup of milk per day- or two half milk/half BM feedings?

(2) I don't think that I really understand the actual transition- forgive me for sounding naive- but do people really just hand off a sippy cup and eliminate the bottle? if so, should I be starting that now so it isn't a transition of what is in the cup AND the actual delivery method?

(3) I feel like there are some families that switch to soy rather than cows milk- is this an allergy issue (or something else?) if it would make the transition easier I would be up for anything. I have tried making baby cereal with water, and he won't touch it.

(4) as for food, I feel like some people change the "every 3 days" rule at some point, and just start introducing table food as it is served at home. am i making that up? And do you know any secret tricks for increasing self feeding- he seems to love when I feed him pureed foods and he self feeds crunchy things, but gets weirded out with most other things (he will do some mac and cheese and other pasta, but not consistently.)

thanks so much-

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: weaning follow up- what/how to eat after 12 months

In Response to weaning follow up- what/how to eat after 12 months:
    [QUOTE](4) as for food, I feel like some people change the "every 3 days" rule at some point, and just start introducing table food as it is served at home.
    Posted by winter09wedding[/QUOTE]
    We are just almost 11 months as well.  We gave up the "every 3 days" thing a month or two ago.  I was buying some fancy pants baby food in a pouch and it had a bunch of ingredients she'd never had and I just said the hell with it and gave it to her.
    That said, I'm aware of it when she's eating something new.  As my husband pointed out, introducing one new thing at a time doesn't make allergies less *likely*, just easier to pinpoint.  Seems obvious now, but it honestly hadn't occurred to me.  I thought the wait was some sort of talisman.

We haven't done the transition off BM yet so I have no advice, but I can tell you our theoretical plan.  She has had a little whole milk in cereal when I didn't have any BM in the fridge and didn't want to thaw a whole pouch.  We'll probably keep doing that, and then as she get to just about a year we'll start a mix of BM and whole milk as a beverage.  We'll see.  Our doctor also said at her 9 month that we could give her ice cream (!) and start the whole milk a bit before a year, so I don't think you have to wait for that exact 1 year date.  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Winter - Regarding transition to cows milk, my pedi said she was open to an early transition (11 mo) rather than transition to formula provided DD was tolerating other dairy well, like yogurt, cheese, etc.  I'd give your pedi a call to discuss.  i transitioned 1 bottle in per day for the first week, and when there was no reaction, I cut completely over.

As for table food, my 14 month old sounds very similar to your 11 month old except she really doesn't like pasta very much.  She can be very picky about textures and definitely has her favorites, like baby bell cheese.  We used to give her one of those stage 3 meals to supplement dinner, but now have moved her over to table foods with maybe a puree vegetable as well if i feel she hasn't eaten much.  She still has rice cereal with fruit for breakfast, and yogurt for lunch.  I started trying her on pb&j mini sandwiches as well for lunch and she seems to like that.  I Don't follow the 3 day rule anymore either.

HTH!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

I think it depends on your pediatrician's office.  I think its awesome that your LO is still getting BM only.  It seems as if alot of us on the boards who were breastfeeding began supplementing (myself included) around 9-10 months.  I've been giving DD an organic formula(Baby's Only) that a friend recommended and she hasn't noticed a difference.  DH gave her a bottle of just formula and much to my dismay she took it without a blink of an eye. 

I called my pediatrician's office about transitioning and they told me to definately wait until a year (although she has been eating foods with milk in it 4 months or so).  They said to begin with a combination of 3/4 bm/formula and 1/4 milk for each bottle increasing weekly to see how she will tolerate it.  My plan is to continue to breastfeed morning and evening and most likely switch to a formula/milk combination.

I work as a behaviorist so the advice on transitioning to a sippy cup comes from what I would tell others to do in general and not anything from a pediatrician's office.  With that said I would begin with giving milk in the sippy cup (once a day) to help your child understand that milk can come from a cup and gradually increasing it as time goes on.

Have you tried baby cereal made with water with some fruit puree added in?  DD never seemed to mind that.  I don't think we tried it plain with water but I'm guessing it tastes bland which is why your son isn't a fan. 

I'm wondering the same thing about the three day rule (which my pediatriciation told me to switch to a two day rule at our 9 month appt.).  Similar to medford, I noticed that commercial food has a lot of things added in the more advanced meals and I've started to lighten up a bit since DD does not appear to have any food allergies.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

(re #3, some babies can handle soy if they cannot digest cow's milk yet)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

1) Logistically- we would be switching to milk in a month. Does it make sense to add some formula for the month, or just transition early? Would I add a cup of milk per day- or two half milk/half BM feedings?

We talked to our pedi about this because I have been fortunate to be home this first year but return to work in August and whenever I have had to pump it has just been awful I put out like nothing when pumping...he said transitioning early is fine and that the 1 year recommendation is so people don't start on whole milk before 8 months because it tends to cause blood in their stool before that

A lot of people I know tried to switch to whole milk cold turkey and if their child did not like it they then did like 1/2 and 1/2 to transition but they recommended to me trying to just switch straight to milk first.  I'm actually going to start introducing whole milk mid-july so I'm not transitioning to daycare and milk and lots of other new things all at the same time. (DS will be 10 months) I'm going to see how he likes it to decide what to do from there.

2) I don't think that I really understand the actual transition- forgive me for sounding naive- but do people really just hand off a sippy cup and eliminate the bottle? if so, should I be starting that now so it isn't a transition of what is in the cup AND the actual delivery method?

We started using a sippy around 7 months at the recommendation of our pedi.  He only started getting used to it (lifting it up with both hands or sipping from the straw) about a month ago.  We have just been giving him water in it.  When we start on whole milk it will go in his sippy cup.

(4) as for food, I feel like some people change the "every 3 days" rule at some point, and just start introducing table food as it is served at home. am i making that up? And do you know any secret tricks for increasing self feeding- he seems to love when I feed him pureed foods and he self feeds crunchy things, but gets weirded out with most other things (he will do some mac and cheese and other pasta, but not consistently.)

We really haven't been following the 3 day rule for a couple of months with exception to things we know tend to cause allergies like strawberries.  For one reason like was mentioned as we started using the older age purees and stuff they have a whole ton of ingredients some of which he had never had.  I do however pay more attention when DS is having something that I know has an ingredient he hasn't had before.   

We have been going back and forth with the feeding thing too.  I still am using purees but I always have some sort of finger food and if he won't feed it to himself I will and at some point he just wants to take over and do it himself.  I also put him in his highchair with finger foods and walk away to prepare the rest of his meal and he will feed himself ten.  Whether it is because I am not sitting right in front of him or because he is hungry I don't know but he does feed himself.  He is not getting better with me sitting with him and feeding himself but it goes back and forth between him doing it and wanting me to do it.

HTH

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Winter - your DS is not alone with self feeding crunchy vs. "slimey" foods.  My 8 1/2 mts DS does really well with puffs, dry pancakes and things that aren't wet.  Right in pincher grip, right in the mouth.  Slimey or wet-like foods... no thanks!  I can feed them to him, but he doesn't want to touch them.  My DH was apparently very an@l retentive as a little boy (one "dirty" set of trucks for playing outside, one "clean" set for inside!!) so we all joke that our DS is a mini DH in that catagory.  Oh no...!!  I'm really trying to think of things that will induce self feeding so please send any suggestions that work for you.  :-)  I just don't want him to only eat carbs while Mom is still trying to get protein, fruits and veggies down with the spoon!  On a side note, I did try a level 3 "meal" this weekend.  One of the Happy Baby brands of fruit and grain.  He gave me funny looks, but every spoonful went down.

And DS has been knawing on a sippy for about a month.  If I tip it up, he can get the liquid out (only water and diluted juice so far) but he doesn't know to tip it up himself.  I may try the straw type soon to see if he gets that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

yeah, we have been doing a sippy since 6 months with just water- he got diluted pear juice for like 2 weeks while constipated a few months ago, but other than that has not ever had anything else in a cup. and he has had some milk in mac and cheese and stuff, but no actual cows milk as a drink- trying it in the cereal may be good!! I do sometimes use pear, because i feel like it is often runny anyway (I make my own babyfood), but that may also be a way to get the cereal down- not that carbs are a major issue for this child!!

nene- I tend to run on the anxious side- I had major oversupply in the beginning and we bought a little chest freezer for milk... been fabulous- but otherwise I would have started supplementing when you guys did. now i just can't tell if it is worth it to transition twice in three weeks. 

your responses raised another question for me- about the schedule- he often gets his bottles as a "snack" - such as before naps, whereas the food is in 3 meals and an afternoon snack.  if the milk is going in the cup, then he would lose all those other snacks... hum. I feel like he eats so much more than other kids his age... he's already in 2T (27 pounds), but maybe he doesn't need it all spread out? 

and funny aside- I am not very good at the texting lingo and looked "HTH"- I am guessing you all meant "hope that helps" but "hand to hand combat" came up first... which is sometimes what feeding an infant feels like!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Winter- Any purees and cereal were my magic trick.  I've also mixed vegetables with barley.  I need pumping tips from you!  I also had oversupply but did not utlize it enough and therefore had to start supplementing.  Initially, it broke my heart but realized that I should be proud of sticking with it that long (I can not stand pumping!!).  I would say to just add the milk instead of formula for such a short period of time.  I was surprised when my pediatrician's office told me that I have to start when DD is one.  However, I spoke to the nurses and I have found that my doctor is more liberal with the rules than the nurses so if I spoke to him I may have had a different response. 

In terms of finger foods, I think the trick may be to find foods that don't have any strong texture such as slippery or sticky and go from there.  DD LOVES the broccoli cheese nuggets and pancakes made from baby cereal on wholesomebabyfood.com.  If I give her something new, I often feed her a few pieces so she knows what it is and then let her feed herself (HTH...Hope this helps ;-) )

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

How do you guys give cheese?  I see lots of types listed on the wholesomebabyfood.com site, but I am really paranoid of choking.  Can I really give her a bit of mozzarella to eat as finger food?  I'm sure she would love it...

One way we have gotten more protein into her is with bits of crackers or puffs dipped in hummus, which she gobbles up.  But NOTE: most storebought hummus has tahini, which is sesame paste.
    Apparently it's in the nut/seed category any many people prefer to wait until after a year.  But you could make your own hummus without tahini.  I didn't know until after I gave it to her...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

update: called the pediatrician, who said give a cup of milk a day. I asked if I should make it 50/50 and she said that it wasn't even necessary. When i told daycare, they admitted they had already given him some... so all that angst for nothing- but thank you!!

medford- I bought cheese slices (like the prepackaged slices for sandwiches you find by the shredded cheeses)- started with harder cheeses, such as cheddar and colby jack. I used to tear up the slices into all these tiny pieces and scatter them all over the tray. But then i was in the grocery store and they offered DS a slice of cheese (he was all excited) so I handed it over and he had learned to bite off pieces at daycare. sometimes, when in restaurants and such, i have also put shredded cheese on his tray- which he just picks up.  we haven't done mozzarella yet- i don't remember the age on it, but I know that they recommend you begin with harder cheeses (we only started american like a week ago).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Winter-That's great news!  I wish  I could speak to my pediatrician instead of the nurse who said that I had to wait until DD turns 1.  She loves and tolerates milk based products, I doubt she will have trouble with milk.  I'm not trying to stir the pot but I don't believe that daycare had already given milk without telling you first.  

Medford-I give my daughter cheese in most forms.  I've cut up blocks in cubes, I give her cheese sticks (broken up), slices, as well as the cracker barrel cuts and she can handle it all.  I haven't given her shredded cheese because I always have some other cheese on hand.  I've given her cheddar, jarlsberg, gouda, and cheddar jack.  I haven't given her mozzerella yet because I usually have that shredded or as string cheese (I rarely have the fresh mozzarella  on hand).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Medford... so glad you just reminded me about the sesame oil in hummus.  Was at a friend's house last week and gave DS a few bites of pita and hummus.  He loved it... but 20 minutes later he had red dots all under his chin and neck.  We had been swimming and it was warm, so I chaulked it up to heat (which it still might have been, as we have no nut allergies of any kind in our families).  BUT... I will definitely be more watchful of hummus the next time we try. (Clearly I've abandoned the 3 days rule as well, as with Winter's 4th question above)

I know this was probably a 1 in 2M instance, but just a slight warning with string cheese.  A young boy my cousin nannied for unfortunately died after choking on string cheese.  I'm sure it could have been anything, so nothing against string cheese.  But just a caution.  I plan to give it but probably in cubes rather than long "strings"  And I've also given 'sandwich' cheese in the slices (hard for him to pick up off the tray through).  Didn't think of shredded, great idea!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I apparently have to be more creative (And flexible) . I stuck to that stupid 3 day rule, and got to the point where every 3 days it was painful to come up with something new!! last week I was standing in the grocery store checking out the artichokes... trying to figure out how to make them into baby food!!

nene-
    this happened with cereal at the first daycare where we were- i was exclusively breast feeding- and they gave him cereal. i flipped.
    his current daycare looked at me very carefully when I told her we were going to try it. she said once I sent in the mac and cheese she tried an ounce a few times.

I don't know why this keeps happening, but assume it is just part of paying someone else to take care of your children. really bums me out though- what if we had some kind of issue and i didn't know that she had given it to him??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Winter - I would have been mad, too.  You could easily have send a non-milk mac and cheese, so for them to extrapolate from that is a stretch.

Nene - maybe just pretend that Winter's pediatrician is your pediatrician and that they said it's okay!

Cheese - thanks for all the good ideas!  I'm going to toughen up and try it.  This may also be a good excuse for me to eat a lot of cheese.
    Funny OT: there is no turning back for us on the hummus.  I tried to give her plain crackers, and she passed them through her lips, found no hummus there, gave me a disgusted look, and threw them on the floor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongirl88. Show bostongirl88's posts

My LO is turning 1 next week. He is still drinking breastmilk but about 2 wks ago I started him on almond milk. He doesn't have a dairy allergy (loves cheese & yogurt!) but I don't want him drinking anything with hormones in it. Maybe eventually I will give him organic milk or find milk with no hormones in it (Richardson's makes their own milk). I started off with 3/4 breastmilk, 1/4 almond milk in each bottle. He didn't have any issues. Now I can give him 100% almond milk in a bottle and he drinks it up no problems. I still have breastmilk left and will continue adding it to his bottles until I run out. (I was an overproducer and had gallons frozen!).

We do not do the "3 day rule" anymore but I know what he eats. He's not picky and will eat everything I give him: avocados, tofu, cheese, yogurt, pasta and noodles, fish (he loves salmon), chicken, tomato sauce, bananas, rice, oatmeal (adult kind...I still have baby oatmeal left but haven't given it to him in over a month), curry, carrots, broccoli, and more. But the only thing he will eat with his fingers are puffs, mum-mums, yogurt melts, and cheese. I still keep trying.

Regarding sippy cups, LO is still trying to get the hang out it. We tried the straw ones and he just chews on the straw. I'm also trying with the Avent sippy cups but he's still not used to them. Hopefully soon!

Good luck!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

I didn't read all of the responses so I apologize if I am restating what others have said but -

My dd is 16 months old and she was exclusively bf through 11 months.  We switched her to a bottle during the day (at 11 months) of pre-pumped bmilk, and eventually transitioned to whole milk.  I weaned her of the a.m. and p.m. bfeeding at 13.5 months.  She took whole milk just fine from the bottle and really didn't have a problem with the weaning but resisted drinking milk out of a sippy cup for about a month!  She would refuse to drink milk from the cup (although she was absolutely fine drinking water from the same cup) and I tried like 10 different cups, some with straws, some with soft spouts, some with hard spouts etc. and nothing made a difference - she took water from all of them and wouldn't drink milk from any of them! SO frustrating!! My doctor said to just wait it out and supplement her with other sources of calcium/fat like cheese, cottage cheese and make her solid food with whole milk.  After about 3-4 weeks of me offering milk in the sippy and her rejecting it, she picked up the cup one day and chugged her milk and that was that. 

Lesson learned : Next time I will go directly from bfeeding to whole milk in a cup and bypass the formula and bottle.  I don't think there is a problem offering whole milk at 11 months especially if you are still breastfeeding/ofering bmilk a few times a day.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

if you're still worrying about allergies and doing the 3 day rule, then giving almond milk won't solve it, as that's made from a potential allergen.

but of course, for kids with no allergies, almond milk could work, BUT make sure you don't take it to a childcare center that can't allow nut products, and make sure you TELL others who care for your child (babysitter, family childcare, whatever) that it's almond milk - if I got some on my hands and licked it off without thinking, i'd be in big trouble, and it would never occur to me that a child would be drinking almond milk.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

As an FYI, every major brand and store brand milk bottle I've ever seen in recent times specifically says rBGH-free (free of bovine growth hormones).  So I don't think you *need* to look for special brands, or give your LO alternatives if that's your only issue.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: weaning follow up- what/how to eat after 12 months:
    [QUOTE]As an FYI, every major brand and store brand milk bottle I've ever seen in recent times specifically says rBGH-free (free of bovine growth hormones).  So I don't think you *need* to look for special brands, or give your LO alternatives if that's your only issue.
    Posted by Trouble30[/QUOTE]

I have been wondering about this.  Is there a difference, hormone-wise, between organic milk and the rBGH-free milk?

Sections
Shortcuts