When did you decide on daycare?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lisasch. Show lisasch's posts

When did you decide on daycare?

New poster here, although I have been learning a lot by reading everyone else's posts.

I am in a quandry about daycare. I am due in September and planning to go back to work either mid-late December or early January after the holidays. Ideally I would like to work from home one or two days a week, have my husband stay home one day and send our daughter to daycare 2 or 3 days. My job is fairly flexible and my boss indicated that working from home 1-2 days should be fine.

However, I worry that my child will be difficult and that I am delusional that working from home will be feasible. I feel like I don't really know how to know how many days I am looking for daycare for without knowing what she'll be like. Yet everyone around me is implying that I've already waited too long and I can't delay finding daycare until after she is born.

With regard to daycare centers, it seems like I'm late to the party already as many have waiting lists that we apparently needed to get on before we conceived. The one that we visited said they would have openings but I wasn't crazy about it and they wanted a week's deposit now and I'm not sure how many days I am looking for, never mind which days of the week. Yet the home daycares don't seem to know if they will have availability this far out and nannies want jobs now, not in 3-4 months. I'm not sure if I should just forget about the centers and start looking at home daycares now in hopes that they will have openings or if I should wait until closer to when I need it. I don't want to be in a time crunch then, but along with having a baby I am also moving and not having a ton of time on my hands now.  

When did you find daycare? Did you wait until after your baby was born? Did it work out for you or would you do things differently if you could do them again? Btw, I live in Medford and work in Cambridge so if you have any suggestions for daycare in Medford/Somerville/Cambridge, I would definitely welcome them. Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: When did you decide on daycare?

I'm thinking of starting to look around week 20.  It's a bit easier for me, though, because I know I need 5 days a week.

Perhaps you could find one now even without knowing exactly which days you would need daycare.  What I mean is you could ask if they would be willing to do only 2 or 3 days a week.  Unless they have other infants who also come on certain days, it might not make a difference.  If they already have a number of infants on Wednesdays, for example, they might not be able to accomodate you.  It doesn't hurt to ask!

I would also double check with your boss about expectations when you work from home.  I think my co-workers who have children must agree to have childcare when they work from home.  To me, this seems like something you could figure out after the baby is born, moreso than the daycare.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I did not find a place until after I had DD.  I also was not positive when I was going to go back to work so that made it difficult to really find a place.  Two weeks before I was supposed to go back I ended up changing daycares to a place that felt more right.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hydrangea7. Show Hydrangea7's posts

We got the last spot for infants at our center, and i was 13 weeks pregnant. I could not believe it was last spot, it seemed so early to me.
      Like Fram, I knew from before conception that I woudl need 5 days a week.
     All of the centers I looked at though (and I live north west of city, so different area than you) said they would only take infants on a full time basis, and they did not offer part time b/c every infant gets their own crib.
     I am not sure if this is common or not, b/c this is my first baby.
     I know co-workers who have in homes daycares, and they started looking a month after babies were born.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I went with an in-home daycare. I didn't start calling places until after DD was born. I had looked into a few centers while still pregnant, but none of them gave me a vibe I liked, or the cost was prohibitive, or both. I found a great place near my house by just cold calling the places on the Department of Early Childhood Education list, but I had to make a lot of calls. You might want to start a little earlier than I did, though, because it was actually quite challenging to make the calls when home alone with a newborn. Also, if you have flexibility in which days you can work from home, that might help you find a spot, since you can take the "off" days if they have another part time infant.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Fram,
    Are you near Wakefield?  My son went to one..he was older, but they have babies upstairs that they care for.  The owner works with the infants.  The place was great.  I believe they go up to K.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

We're hoping to go with an in-home daycare, but we're running into the same problem- no one knows if they'll have spots available until a month or two beforehand.  I started looking at centers around 13/14 weeks and most of them were already booked.  I would try to find something closer to Medford, because Cambridge can be very pricey (I work there as well). 

The EEC website has been a great resource.  You can search for licensed programs in your area.

http://www.eec.state.ma.us/ChildCareSearch/EarlyEduMap.aspx

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I'm sorry - we're not doing daycare for the first year so I don't have any advice to offer on that topic, but wanted to chime in that my job is like Frams - they will not approve a mom working from home unless there is childcare (other than mom) during those working hours.  This is why I chose not to request this.  I didn't know what my child would do while I was working!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

We went with an in-home, and I was able to secure a spot a while back.  Every situation is different, so while it may feel a bit more urgent now, it's still very doable. 

If you run into a waitlist at a center you like, get on it, is my advice.  Situations change and it may not be the Massive Amount of Time they quote you upfront.  You won't need to know your schedule to get on the waitlist, at least I didn't for the ones I looked at. 

The real question is, though -- how much daycare do you need?  I would urge you to consider securing some sort of care arrangement for the days you work at home.  Some companies require it, for others it will sweeten the deal and let them know that you're truly working at home, not just checking e-mail sporadically. 

My two cents.  Good luck! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I just went back to work recently, and it sounds like my situation may be similar to yours.  My job is also very flexible.  I am in the office Mon, Wed and Fri and work from home Tue and Thurs.  We only have my DD in daycare Mon and Fri right now.  DH also can work from home and we share caring for her Tue and Thurs and he has her all day on Wed (he is a real estate agent and takes wed as a day off).  It does help that my DH has non-traditional hours though. 

We have DD in a center on the days she's in daycare and we signed up pretty late.  I think I was 28 weeks or something like that. 

My best sdvice is to try to come up with a schedule, even a vague one asap.  You'll need to tell most daycares specifically which days you'll be going so that they can fill the days your LO isn't there. 

And Good Luck!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Brighton1 -- if you live in Brighton, I know of a very good home daycare. A friend's son goes there and loves it, and we've met several parents whose kids either currently attend or went in the past -- 100% positive feedback.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Winter, I am near Wakefield.  I'd love it if you could share the info.  I'll "friend" you so you can send me a message, if that's preferable.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

OK you can friend me. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kc0509. Show kc0509's posts

I agree with CG - get on the waiting list of the day care you like. Heck, get on the wait list for ALL the ones you like.  Pick the one who calls you first.  If you change your mind, they'll just go to the next person on the list. 

I waited until baby #2 was 4 weeks old to start looking.  Bad mistake.  Not a good idea to visit day cares with a newborn, I wanted to spray him with Lysol every time someone sneezed.  Plus, everywhere halfway decent was full.  I ended up totally lucking out and finding a wonderful, fabulous home day care on Craigslist at the last minute.  But I was freaking out until the week before I went back to work.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

Thanks Lemon, but I actually live on the South Shore now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Brighton, I called tons of places and ran into that issue - I am also on the South Shore - What town are you hoping to find a daycare in?   DD goes to an inhome in Abington.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

I waited until a month before I went back to work to start looking. I just couldn't deal with looking at daycares before DS was even born. But I knew I wanted an in-home daycare so I didn't have to deal with waiting lists - they either had a spot opened or not. One advantage I found with waiting until after DS was born was taking him with us to see how the daycare provider interacted with him. One woman seemed totally fine but when DS started some minor fussing, she handed him right back to me. I ruled her out right then and there because she couldn't show me that she could sooth my child - she didn't even try. I love the woman we found - when she met DS she held him and he fell right asleep in her arms. So while I think it may be good to have the baby with you, I probably wouldn't wait as long as I did. I think I lucked out.