When did you stop giving the bottle?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

When did you stop giving the bottle?

DS is almost 17 months and still takes a bottle with milk. He uses the sippy cup for water. He recently switched to a new daycare and I didn't want to do it before then and have 2 transitions going on at the same time. Our pedi seems very laid back about this. My parents are telling me that he is too young. I want to say the rule of thumb is to have them off the bottle by 18 months but I was just curious when everyone else made the break. TIA.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Re: When did you stop giving the bottle?

I was just able to get DD off the bottle at 15 months.  At 12 months when I would have liked to have started she got pretty sick for 6 weeks, then we have DD #2 so to not rock her world we waited.  The trick that worked for us was finding a sippy cup that allowed her to keep sucking without taking a break.  She will drink her milk out of other cups but she gets frustrated at how long it takes and wants to walk thru the house drinking it.  Some kids are ready sooner than others, just keep trying.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

Thanks June. I haven't actually even tried to get him off yet. But I think I'm late to the game and need to start trying.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

your not late...I really didnt push the issue, but I started getting tired of doing double the bottle load so I just starting trying more and she seemed interested.  The key is to find the right cup!  Good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

June, which cup do you use? My favorites so far are the Nuby cups. Any of the other ones I've tried are a PIA. Thx.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Our pedi was adamant about no more bottles after 12 mo. We kept the night time bottle around until DS was about 15 mo. Then just took it away (I did this with the paci too-cold turkey!). He had already been drinking from sippys all day long. He didn't fuss or argue us about it.

The nuby ones were our first sippy cups. We then switched to playtex ones-nice thing about them all the lids aren interchangeable. So if you get a playtex with a straw you can use the sippy lid too. Saved DH who is still confused at the sippy world. We also have the Munchkin kind for straw sippy, the insluated ones are great. but I find after a solid year of use they're starting to need replacement.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

I have had luck with Muchkin brand, this in particular:

http://www.target.com/BOTTLE-MUNCHKIN-12OZ-TODDLER/dp/B004ICKODE/ref=br_1_6?ie=UTF8&id=BOTTLE%20MUNCHKIN%2012OZ%20TODDLER&node=2287946011&searchSize=90&searchView=grid3&searchPage=1&sr=1-6&qid=1300123098&rh=target_com_category-bin%3ASippy%20Cups%20%2B%20Accessories&searchBinNameList=target_com_category-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin&searchRank=pmrank&frombrowse=1

and

http://www.diapers.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=81335

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

DD switched from bottles/formula to sippys/milk just before she turned one.  This was my plan and it worked - I think I probably just got lucky :)  We never gave her a bottle right before bed, so this wasn't an issue (not sure I will be so lucky with DS) and she was off night-time feedings and eating a wide diet by then also.  We started transitioing around 9 months, although she had a sippy of water to play with at mealtimes since about 6 months, and I never put milk in a bottle or formula in a sippy. 

Key in the transition were I think Nuby ones that had a soft, n*pple like spout, so she learned to do it herself without having to master the hard spout. 

Now, if she'd only quit the sippy now (at 3!) She can drink from a cup just fine, but insists on sippy cups (maybe the arrival of DS had something to do with this...) I keep her to the straw type and the ones that look a little like travel coffee mugs at this point.

Good luck, do what you think is best with your son... he might take to it easier than you think!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I agonized over this and tried a whole bunch of sippys but in the end it was pretty low key.  He got a bottle for naps and bedtime until about 15-16 months and then we transitioned him out of our room into his own and a few more nights with a bottle and then none and he was all set.  We thought it was going to be a big deal but it wasn't at all.

We started with a tilty and then now we like the straw sippys from Munchkin that have the flip top.  They are 98% spill proof.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

With my oldest, I did the transition away from bottles at the same time I transitioned from breast milk to whole milk - 12 months.  She had already been drinking water from the sippy cup, so I just put milk in there and stopped with the bottles.  It worked great.  Here's to hoping the samehappens when I try with #2 in a month :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from roneil68. Show roneil68's posts

My older 2 were off the bottle by 12 months.  My 8  month old DD has been using a sippy cup with her meals since 6 months.  Initially we gave it to her to play with but she loved it so that is what she uses.  I am still nursing her on demand which means anywhere from 4 to 8 times a day when I'm home with her.  I work 3 days a week and the babysitter still gives her 2 bottles of BM per day.  I'd like her off the bottle by 12 months although one of my older ones nursed until 15 months.  Go with your gut.  I'm still looking for a good sippy cup that doesn't leak when hummed against a wall or my head when she's had enough to drink.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

DD was entirely breastfed so I transitioned off the bottle when I stopped pumping for her to have breastmilk at daycare, between 9 months and a year.  She started at about 9 months on the sippy cup with us and then started using it at day care for water and cow's milk at about 1 year.  She never really liked the bottle and she loved the sippy cup (the kind with the straw) so it was an easy transition for us.  I would imagine if she had been resistant it would have been much more difficult to transition her.  How you do it will probably depend on how receptive he is. 

Sections
Shortcuts