When (if ever) did you start to worry about thumbsucking?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

When (if ever) did you start to worry about thumbsucking?

I started to reply to the thread about pacifiers, but decided this is a whole other beast!

DD is 14 months and mostly sucks her thumb at nap and bedtime.  In the past, she only sucked it at nap and bedtime, but now she usually does it in the car and occasionally at random.

If you had a thumbsucker, at what point did you begin to worry about and/or discourage it?  I don't think I need to worry at 14 months, but I don't want to get passed that point without realizing.  She already has some terrible genes when it comes to teeth, so I don't this to make it even worse!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: When (if ever) did you start to worry about thumbsucking?

Fram, I don't know, personally, but there are always a lot of threads about this on SomervilleMoms and most people say that they don't worry until older and also that they get advice from their dentists.

My one personal addition is that my cousin still sucks her thumb as a successful, amazing adult.  And I can remember years and years of her mother snapping at her to stop sucking her thumb.  It made her miserable and (clearly) had no effect.  So don't do that.  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Fram, I sucked my thumb till I was 5.  Neither of my sisters sucked their thumbs. Ironically, I was the only one who did not need braces.  Talk to the dentist if you are concerned, but otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about it from a dental standpoint. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

HA.  My sister sucked her thumb and her teeth were straighter than ours too, ALF haha. I remember she kind of gave it up on her own, but I'm not sure--maybe my Mom did something?  I think she just kind of stopped in public when she got old enough to realize other kids weren't doing it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

My mom used to tell me to stop sucking my thumb, but I just ignored her.  She never took any 'measures' like whatever that hot sauce or hot stuff they put on your thumb is. That just sounds insanely cruel to do to a little kid.  I eventually stopped on my own. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I sucked my finger until I was, gasp, 9.  It was bad.  I hid it because I was old enough to know it was not acceptable.  But, I did do a bad number on my teeth and needed braces for 6 years and got TMJ from the braces which I'll always suffer from.  However, there was NOTHING my mom could  have done to stop me.  Absolutely nothing.  She did try the yucky tasting nail polish meant to deter it, but I got used to the taste and didn't care. I did stop, but it had nothing to do with her not wanting me to do it, and I was usually eager to please so it's not like I was a rebellious child in general.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbracer39. Show tbracer39's posts

I did it until 12 :-) It's really something they have to grow out of. My dad threatened to do things all time...hot sauce, vinegar, etc. He never actually carried anything out, but the threats did nothing to deter it either. I knew from an early age though that it was something only to be done at home.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Both DH and I were thumb-suckers and neither one of us ever had braces, either. I remember my mother telling me that I couldn't suck my thumb once I went to kindergarten. I don't think I ever did at school, but I am pretty sure I still did it at home. Just like everyone else, I eventually gave it up when I didn't need it anymore.

DS#2 is a thumb-sucker. A friend just forwarded an article saying how thumb-suckers grow up to be confident and well-adjusted adults. We're going with that theory for now!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

FWIW, I brought my kids (will be 3 in May) to the dentist for the first time last month.  This is a pediatric dentist, so I would expect him to be on top of issues like thumb-sucking.  DD sucks her pointer and middle finger, so I mentioned that when the hygienist asked about thumb-sucking.  She made a note in the chart, but didn't say anything else about it.  The dentist told me, when looking at her teeth, to start saving $ for braces because her baby teeth are pretty tight and crowded, so it's almost inevitable that she's going to have problems when her adult teeth start coming in.  My guess is that the finger-sucking wasn't worth mentioning since braces are likely in her future anyway.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for the feedback!  I was hoping for some best case scenarios and I got a few of those.  I think eventually, I may try to encourage her to do other things, like rubbing her lovey instead of sucking her thumb, but I'm not planning to act on it yet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fram, I think the takeaway theme of all the stories, those with good and those with bad outcomes, is that you can't do a thing to deter it regardless of what might happen, how against it you might become, or what you try to make it stop.  Some kids who do it don't have negative consequences, others who do it do.  You can neither predict the outcome or stop the behavior if you take all these stories at face value - they all essentially say the same thing.

Sections
Shortcuts