Where on Earth do his feet go?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CookieM. Show CookieM's posts

Where on Earth do his feet go?

So, DS is 14 months.  He's pretty skinny, but getting too long for the bucket.  We just went out and got the Britax Marathon, based on all of the reviews.  We tried to install it rear-facing, even reclined, and I'm confident that we followed the instructions.  However, the poor kid's feet seem to be more squished then they did in the bucket.  I want to hold out to turn him forward facing until he's as close to two as possible, per the APA recs.  But, short of teaching him to sit cross-legged, I'm not sure we'll be able to do it.  I get the greatest ideas from you all, so here's another chance!

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: Where on Earth do his feet go?

the short answer is they go wherever he wants!  :)  We have the Marathon, also, and our DD (who just turned 2) has her feet scrunched as well.  She either puts them up on the seat back, or bends her knees and has them flat on the car seat in front of her.  I have seen some other kids put them out of the car seat, dangling on either side.

I know that seems crazy.  But everything I've read says it's normal for them to be scrunched like that, and it's still the safer choice.  (Until they reach the rear-facing height/weight limits for the Marathon.)  My DD has never complained about her feet/legs in the car seat - I think they're pretty bendy at that age.  Of course, she's also not that tall, so I know we have it easier in this regard.  GL with whatever you decide!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

DS is 2 and we still have him rear facing (he is still well within the height and weight since he is on small side) and he just puts his feet on the seat back. He is comfortable so far.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

same here- our pedi rec'd we change his direction sooner because of how big DS is... but until then, he sat the same way that medford and wagner's kids did.

ironically, i think that he actually hated it when he turned around, he kept dropping stuff because he no longer had the "bucket" his legs created.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I also plan to keep my kids rear facing until they reach the height/weight limits.  My DD is 28 months, about 36 inches long, and as Medford said, her legs just go wherever she wants them.  She tends to rest them on the carseat bottom. IMO, better for her to be a little squished and safer.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

This was a big point of conversation at our last pedi check up a couple of weeks ago, mainly because DD is two, but only 22 lbs and I was worried about her being ready to face forward. They have to stay rear facing because of their head and protecting their head and neck in an accident, so it's best to keep them rear facing until they hit 2. By 2, the head and neck are better formed and naturally protected.

We just switched the seat front facing this weekend and DD got such a kick out of being able to see me and everything that was going on in the front seat, it was really cute.

So, as much as this is what we did and this is what the pedi recommended, we are the last of the kids in our playgroup to switch to forward facing. Everyone else did when they just felt their child had no more room for their feet. 14 months is WAY to young, but if you can hold off until 18 months, you can probably switch then!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I agree that there isn't a ton of leg room and it's normal for them to be bending legs, etc.  One thing that may be worth asking, though, is the seat reclined enough?  DD's legs don't look too cramped to me so far, but I can picture if we had the seat up straighter that they would be, so it seemed worth mentioning.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

DD#1 is at least 95% for height.  She is 23 months and backwards facing and does just fine.  Legs usually go up the chair. The hard part now is getting her in.  One more month to go!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CookieM. Show CookieM's posts

Thanks, All.  

We did have it reclined, almost as far as it goes.  I do plan on keeping him rear-facing until two, no matter how squished he looks.  We did leave him in the bucket for now.  We'll give it another try this weekend.  I just had visions of wedging a pool noodle between the front of the carseat and the back of the seat of the car, just to give him a couple of inches.  Britax says the seat can follow the 80/20 rule, meaing the base can extend past the seat of the car, but that just doesn't seem safe either.  We'll just make do, until he's two.  Pretzel-boy it is!