White noise machine

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

White noise machine

I thought I remembered some links being posted recently, but can't find them.

Any recommendations?  Any reason we shouldn't use one?  The baby's room is at the front of the house on a busy street, so I think it might be useful.  Going to transition her into the crib soon.  Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: White noise machine

We've used the DEX one for a couple years now.
    http://www.amazon.com/DEX-Products-Sound-Sleeper-SS-01/dp/B00008439C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302808805&sr=8-1
    It had good sounds and no noticible loop (the loop drives me CRAZY). We used the womb setting at first but now we usually go with the ocean setting.

Oh, and it has all sorts of crazy settings so you can add sounds together or put it on a timer. It also seems to have some sort of battery backup because it keeps going when we unplug it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

People have sworn by the white noise you can download to your iPod from iTunes.  If you have an iPod dock that you can put in her room, that might work.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I can't sleep w/o white noise. I use a $10 fan from CVS. 

I point it at the wall in winter so that there is no breeze. When it's warm out, I don't mind the breeze.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

we have the sleep sheep..  he likes the rain sound.. or the ocean.  not the whale or the womb.  we've also used the sounds at the end of the happiest baby on the block CD.  only problem with these is they shut off after so much time so we use these more for naps or for the start of getting down.  we also have this other sound machine by homedics that stays on all night and an air purifier that stays on all night.. so we typically end with one of these.  we have one in our room too (that's where they were before)! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I have a noise machine on my registry and never got it, now I'm second guessing it anyway.  I am thinking along the lines of "if you are always quite when the baby sleeps, he/she will only sleep when it's quiet."  I have friends that lived by this rule and the kid sleeps through a lot, barking dog, people visiting the house etc. 
    My husband and I sleep with a noise machine after living in boston with a fire dept. next door...and now living in the burbs we're still hooked on it.  I'm not sure I want to get my kid attached too...  any thoughts?? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

http://www.amazon.com/Marpac-SleepMate-580A-Electro-Mechanical-Conditioner/dp/B000KUHFGM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302812717&sr=8-1-spell

We got this one.  I prefer it over a fan as it doesn't move the air around and create a breeze.  It rocks!!!  We are on a very busy street and this helps our two year old sleep like a dream.  Loud enough but blends smoothly into the background.  And judging by the reviews, it's pretty popular.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

A fan in a baby's room has been shown to reduce the risk of SIDS - go figure. So I figure its a two for one.  We use a fan.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

We had the sleep sheep, but the 40 minute shut off just wasn't going to cut it - and it wasn't loud enough to really block out sound. I took a trip to BB&B and picked one up there. The only negative is that you might have a mother like mine who thinks you're going to make the baby dependent on it and tries to wean your child off it before you're ready. (but I love her all the same.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

My mom bought DD the Carter's Soothing Sounds Bear -- I think he's pretty much the same as the sleep sheep.  He plays the heartbeat, wind, ocean, and rain sounds, and velcroes right onto the crib.  DD loves it!  I use the wind, since it sounds like the shushing sound you'd make to calm the baby.  As soon as I turn that thing on, she settles right down and goes to sleep.

And DD's room is all teddy bears, so he fits right in...bonus!  :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from twaitsfan. Show twaitsfan's posts

DD has the gentle giraffe by Cloud B.  It is the same as the Sleep Sheep but with some different awake noises (drum beats, etc.)  She loves it.  We don't use it all the time anymore - DD is 9 mo.  But when we have a particularly tough night, it is great.  In the beginning we used it all the time.  I do wish there was a longer setting than the 30 or 45 min timer but she doesn't need it all through the night. 
    As a side note, we also had the twilight turtle, which stopped working and the company sent us a new one, no charge, no hassle.  Gotta love that!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jewelsagem. Show jewelsagem's posts

I was going to buy a white noise machine, but it seemed so crazy to spend the money on something that just makes noise!  So I bought a nice little air purifier for DD's room from Amazon for about $60 and it's perfect!  Keeps her room fresh, and the white noise from it is awesome at drowning out outside sounds. 
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R2WEJQ
    We also put a ceiling fan in her room due to what Luck said about the reduction in SIDS...I think it's around 70%?!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

We also use the Marpac machine Sarah posted. So far so good.  My MIL scoffed that DS wouldn't be able to sleep without it but he naps fine at daycare and they don't have a machine.  I like it for our home because we have all hardwood and the floors creak and groan etc. Plus my teenage neighbors are in a dirt bike gang (half kidding) and they've been terrorizing the neighborhood since the weather improved. DS sleeps through it all!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

i'm with ajuly - i didn't want to condition the babies to ONLY sleep when there's white noise so we've gone without with no problems.  we live on a busy street in boston, too.  fire engines, beeping horns, etc. haven't woken the babies up.  hth.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

My girls can fall asleep with or without sound going.  I use this at night and it has helped my girls sleep better:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HoMedics-SoundSpa-Lullaby-With-Picture-Projection/5913225

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

I have a noise machine on my registry and never got it, now I'm second guessing it anyway.  I am thinking along the lines of "if you are always quite when the baby sleeps, he/she will only sleep when it's quiet."  I have friends that lived by this rule and the kid sleeps through a lot, barking dog, people visiting the house etc. 
    My husband and I sleep with a noise machine after living in boston with a fire dept. next door...and now living in the burbs we're still hooked on it.  I'm not sure I want to get my kid attached too...  any thoughts??

Yup, I agree with ajuly.  I'd wait and see if you have a 'difficult to sleep' baby before I started something that would become a habit.  There are babies that have a hard time sleeping and wake at the slightest noise, but most babies will sleep through a lot. 

Just remember that the old adage 'sleep like a baby' isn't really true - young babies make LOTS of noise when they sleep, seem to wake up fairly often, move about, open their eyes, even cry a bit, but then go back to sleep (or continue being asleep, they aren't always really awake) if you just leave them alone!  We keep thinking babies will sleep really, really soundly because that's what we wish we could do but they don't!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I wouldn't worry too much about conditioning the baby. We found the white noise VERY helpful during the first few months because of the whole noisy womb thing, but our daughter doesn't need it to sleep. We just leave it on because my husband and I both like noise so we figure she might too. But when it's gone out for whatever reason -- when we lost power or forgot to plug it in after a trip -- she doesn't notice. And my husband and I were both raised to sleep in total silence, in accordance with parenting techniques of the 1970s, but we can't sleep without a fan. My best sleep was when I lived next to Storrow Drive in Back Bay -- I loved the traffic noise. Now in the summer I can hear the soothing sounds of the Pike.

I also think that some people are deep sleepers and some are light sleepers and there's not much you can do to influence it. We did so many things wrong with our daughter in terms of sleep -- keeping her in our room when she clearly slept better in her own, not training her until well after 1 year, putting all kinds of stimulating "crib soothers" in with her, etc., but she still sleeps like a log once she's down. She even sleeps through our legendary Christmas parties, with people bellowing drunkenly and caroling and dancing and running around and so on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for the suggestions!  I haven't transitioned DD into her room yet, so maybe I will try a few nights without a machine/fan/humidifier first.  Right now we use a humidifier in our room, but I don't want to make her room any cooler than it already is.

Even though I specifically mentioned the noisy street, it's not really about that for me; it's about mimicking the womb.  If swaddling and white noise and anything else soothe my baby, then I'm all for it.  If they are habits, I figure you can break the habit now when they are tiny little newborns or later.  But the more I think about it, the more I think she'd sleep fine without the humidifier on in our room.  I think I'll go without it tonight and see what happens.