Winter newborns

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: Winter newborns

The Mall and big box stores like Target are practically empty during weekday mornings.  They are great for getting out with tiny babies. I didn't take my twins out for walks in the dead of winter - I was worried they'd be too cold, but we did go for walks in the mall or Target once in a while.
    I had summer babies - but if they had been born in the Winter I'd have kept them in for at least 6-8 weeks anyway. You really don't want a tiny infant getting sick.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

In Response to Re: Winter newborns:
    LOL @framerican - it is so easy to forget how hard it was to get out of the door with your first baby! I probably stayed home more than I remember too - I know I used to make the DD drive-thru my big outing many days. And I was all "look at me! there's a baby in the car, and I'm all casual-like getting coffee!" (Then halfway home on the 5 minute drive, I would pull over to climb in the back seat and make sure the baby was still breathing.) Ah, memories...
    Posted by marriedmom

BEST MOST ACCURATE POST EVER.  LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Marriedmom - Your post crackled me up :o)  I totally know what you mean about the drive thrus!  Besides that, being a mom is such a part of my identity now that it feels weird to be out without her.  If I'm out shopping and see another mom with a baby, I just want to say, "I have one too!  I'm a mom - you just can't tell right now!"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Marriedmom brings up a good point: before your baby is born, locate EVERY drive-through within a 5 mile radius.  This will be very important.  If you live in an urban setting there might not be very many, and you might find one day you REALLY need one.

And she also brings up the very realistic scenario you will find yourself in at least once per day: making sure baby is breathing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Also, about having a baby in winter, it can be a bit of a pain getting around if it's snowy/icy, but I must say it was SO NICE not having to shlep out to work those 3 months I was on maternity!!  Especially since it was the snowiest winter ever last year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Poppy, I agree...it was kind of nice to be able to watch the snow fall and not have to worry about how I'd get to work or shovelling (someone has to stay inside with the tiny baby!)  My DH was laid off last year from October through March, so all three of us could snuggle on the couch or in bed and not worry how much snow was piling up out there!  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Marriedmom brings up a good point: before your baby is born, locate EVERY drive-through within a 5 mile radius.  This will be very important.  If you live in an urban setting there might not be very many, and you might find one day you REALLY need one.
    Posted by poppy609

AND, those places where they will bring take out to your car.  A lot of the chains have it, like Not Your Average Joe's.  I remember thinking (before) that it was the silliest, laziest thing I had ever heard of.  Then as soon as I had a sleeping baby in the car, I thought it was the best, awesomest thing I ever heard of.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTMum. Show CTMum's posts

Heartily agree on the drive-thru.  Further, many times over the past three years I've wished for a drive-thru where I could pick-up a gallon of milk.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Medford - You just blew my mind.

But seriously - Figure out where there are drive thrus.  It took me weeks - literally weeks - to remember that there was a Dunkin Donuts with a drive thru right up the street.  Most of the time a DD coffee was nowhere near important enough, but every once in a while I reeeally wanted one and reeeally wanted to get out of the house.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

Uno's also has the curbside take-out. Trust me, you will still appreciate it when your kids are 2 and 4! ;)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Count my mind blown as well!  I had no idea places had curbside take-out!!  I love NYAJ's!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Put the 99 on the list of curbsiders.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I knew restaurants had curbside, I just never thought to use it lol!!

Add Chili's, Macaroni Grille, and Outback to the list.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

So they'll actually come out and bring it to your car?  Or do you have to go to a window?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

So they'll actually come out and bring it to your car?  Or do you have to go to a window?
    Posted by poppy609

Oh no my friend... they bring it right to your car.  They even have special spots to pull into (at least at the NYAJ's in Medford).
    I can remember years ago seeing an ad for it at Chili's or someplace like that and being seriously annoyed.  Now it makes perfect sense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I'm totally doing that this weekend.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hope8. Show hope8's posts

My baby was born 12/29.

1.  I used the bundleme and was very happy with it. I find it funny to hear it wasn't intended for a car seat; until now that's exactly what I thought it was for and it's the only way I've ever seen it used. A warm jacket or sweater may be necessary for underneath. I like that in a warm car, you can unzip it so they're not over-bundled.

2.  Snowsuit -lol, this is cute. I got something akin to one that was plush and fuzzy with bear ear hoodie from gap. I rarely used it; I found that warm clothes and a bundle me were sufficient. You are not going to take 1-3 month olds outside to play in the snow, or to take a stroll on the icy streets. Most of their exposure to the outside is a brief moment in between the heated indoors and the heated car. So you don't need to go all Christmas Story on them.

3.  Onesies, longsleeve, with feeties. Go with zippers when at all possible! I cannot describe to you the frustration felt at 3am totally sleep deprived, trying to figure out how those darn snaps at the crotch are supposed to go!!! I also used a halo sleep sack. These are safe alternatives to blankets.

4.  On venturing out: I went back to work at 6 weeks. For the first six weeks, I was a hermit, living on the bed, in my jammies, watching TV (or doing stats homework with my second). Supper was mostly takeout. I am a constantly busy person, but I appreciated this time. Venturing out with a little tiny one is exhausting and requires a day of planning, IMO. However, sometimes we'd feel stir crazy and just go for semi-long car rides, like an hour to Amherst just for a burrito lol. You get better at it and it gets easier over time. If you breastfeed, get a feeding tent that allows you privacy to do it in public. Trust me, this is much preferable to waiting 5 minutes to find a bathroom to breastfeed a screaming infant.

5.  I think a good rule of thumb is that if you are comfortable at that temperature with the same amount of layers as your child, then they will be comfortable too.

I think a winter baby is the best idea. For the first few months, except going back to work, I really didn't take the baby many places. Maybe other veteran moms are more adventurous, as I was with my second; but I have to say for most people I think this is generally true. I think the first is especially exhausting. 

Sections
Shortcuts