Wipes on newborns

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Wipes on newborns

Can you use baby wipes on newborns? I've heard such mixed reviews. I've heard some people use them and others say that you shouldn't use them for the first few weeks.  I read that some moms used cotton balls dipped in water, but that sounds messy.  Should I get some wash cloths instead?  Just want to make sure I have the things I need to clean my baby's butt once he arrives! :)   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Re: Wipes on newborns

Totally mixed advice out there, ajuly!  It depends on hospital, pediatrician, female vs. male baby, circumcision vs. none, type of circumcision, etc.  So, you won't really get a straight answer until your baby is born - I suggest asking the attending pedi before you are discharged and then ask your pedi again at the first appt.  With both kids, SSH sent us home with a stack of paper towel type clothes to use with water as wipes.  We used them on DS until his circumcision was healed per our pedi's advice.  However, w/ DD, we used sensitive wipes pretty soon after we were home.  My friend's son had some sort of new-fangled circumcision procedure that had this plastic protector in place some how, so she was allowed to use wipes.  So, it varies greatly...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

At our childcare class and in the hospital, they recommended wet/warm washcloths.  To be honest, I took it with a grain of salt.  I did buy a bunch more of the cheaper ones after the baby was born and we used them pretty regularly, but we also used the fragrance free wipes if that was what we had in the room or on the road. 
    I am all for not exposing the baby to too many scents or chemicals, but we just didn't last all that long on the wash cloths.  For ~3 weeks, she's only been p00ping once a day, at most; if she p00ped more often, I think we'd use the washcloths more.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

We still use water and washcloths (8 months old) except when we are out of the house.
    We keep a container of water on the changing table and dunk the wipes first before using them, so the water stays pretty clean.
    I am a big fan of the fragrance free wipes for convenience when out, but a bigger fan of plain water when possible.  My rationale is this: I would not use all that stuff to wipe down my own self, so why use it on her?
    We actually use little flannel cloths -- thinner than actual washcloths.  Here:
    http://www.imsevimse.us/p-90-organic-flannelette-washable-wipes-12-pack.aspx

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

We used senstive wipes after about the first week, with both kids (still do in fact)  We had something like gauze pads from the hospital that we used with water before that.  When they have had diaper rashes ever since (mainly due to diarrhea from antibiotics) I did the same thing - I just put a small stack in a tupperware dish with water and kept it near the changing table.  I don't use any kind of diaper cream unless there is a problem and then I swear by Triple Paste.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I use wet cotton pads on my DD (who is now almost 1) unless we're traveling, then I use sensitive wipes.  I used wipes to start, but then switched (at the rec of the pedi) when she got some mild rash when she was around 2-3 weeks old.  I agree with IPW, it is individual as to whether your baby is sensitive to the wipes.  I also need to use triple paste on DD at every change because she is very fair and sensitive and I think due to this she's pretty much never had rash.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Wow I feel kind of silly no one had or did ever tell us not to use wipes on our baby.  Nor did I ever think it wouldn't be okay.  They used wipes at MGH and sent us home with a ton of them.  We use the pampers sensitive because it did make sense to me to use sensitive wipes on a new baby.  DS never had any kind of reaction or anything to them and we still use them. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cnanavati. Show cnanavati's posts

We used unscented baby wipes.  My daughter is still alive at 2 and a half.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

I've never heard of this.  I had girls, so no boy part issues.  The nurses at the hospital (MGH) used pampers sensitive wipes and I've used the unscented wipes on both girls with no issues.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from betty7. Show betty7's posts

I've also never heard of this.  We've used the seventh generation wipes since birth and never had a problem, we also have a girl. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

We've used wipes from the beginning...pampers sensitive ones.  I also don't use any cremes or anything...except for when she has some sensitivity because of a lot of p@@ps...then I'll use a little creme and will also try to air her out for a while after diaper changes. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

add me to the list that never heard of this... we used wipes from the get go with DS.. huggies and pampers brands.  we use aquaphor (vaseline when we run out of aquaphor) and A&D ointment too.. and at night some diaper rash cream as preventative since we go the whole night with no change unless we know he needs one.  so far soo good.. 10 weeks and never had a rash or a problem...  i didn't know not to use this stuff though.  :-(

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from robinreale. Show robinreale's posts

My hospital gave us disposable cloths to wet and use. Once home we used wipes and never had an issue.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Whew, thank goodness for the last several posters.  I was starting to feel like a terrible mother.  We've used the sensitive wipes since birth and DD has been fine.  I do use some sort of cream (vaseline or Method diaper cream, usually) every night.

To those of you who use actual non-disposable washcloths: what do you do with them after a p0opy diaper?  Do you have to rinse them all off in the toilet before putting them in the washing machine?  I've never put actual po0p in the washing machine - whenever we have an "explosion" I always rinse the clothes into the toilet before washing, and I can't imagine doing this after every messy diaper change!  But maybe I don't have to do that?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

poppy - I used cloth diapers when DD was a newborn, (although I usually also used disposable wipes) so I think the same/similar thoughts apply. I would use a diaper sprayer to rinse p00py diapers into the toilet. But even with a sprayer, you are mainly going for getting most of the solids off, not every last bit. Then I would put the diaper into a pail until laundry day (about 2X a week) I would do diapers on hot, then run a second cycle with no soap, to make sure no soap residue remained on the diapers. I have a front loader, and never had any problems. For clothes that get p00p on them, I sometimes would presoak, with a little colorsafe bleach in a bucket, but I never had enough solid material to rinse with the diaper sprayer.
    HTH

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

So, still lots of mixed reviews :)  I guess I won't know till DS is here and we see how his little bottom handles it! We will be cloth diapering but not at the beginning because of the size of the diapers. I haven't decided about cloth wipes yet..  I have some no scent-sensitive wipes already but will prob wait to use those till after his "little one" has healed. Hopefully the hospital will send us home with something to use!  Thanks for all the advice. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Used wipes on my boy/girl twins from day one.  No one at MGH ever told me otherwise.  Never had any reactions to them either.
    I do like the unscented ones - those scented ones just smell terrible to me.
    Good luck!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

In Response to Re: Wipes on newborns:
    [QUOTE]We still use water and washcloths (8 months old) except when we are out of the house. We keep a container of water on the changing table and dunk the wipes first before using them, so the water stays pretty clean.
    Posted by medfordcc[/QUOTE]

Oooh great idea!  Part of why we stopped using them is because we would never remember to wet a cloth in advance and obviously you can't leave the baby on the changing table while you run to the bathroom.  I think I'm going to try to get back into the habit of using the cloths; save money not buying wipes!

Poppy - We only used them the first 2-3 weeks when she had small liquidy p00ps.  We'd throw them in the laundry pile with everything else... Actually we'd throw them next to the laundry pile because we're not that gross.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: Wipes on newborns:
    [QUOTE]To those of you who use actual non-disposable washcloths: what do you do with them after a p0opy diaper?  Do you have to rinse them all off in the toilet before putting them in the washing machine?  I've never put actual po0p in the washing machine - whenever we have an "explosion" I always rinse the clothes into the toilet before washing, and I can't imagine doing this after every messy diaper change!  But maybe I don't have to do that?
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]
    We did cloth diapers exclusively for the first 6 months.  We kept a roll of heavy-duty paper towels in a tupperwear container with some water.  We'd use those. I didn't prewash at all because the breast milk p00p just washes out, no problems.  When she started on some solids I had to scrape first. I use the sensitive wipes for the diaper bag and she was fine.  Honestly, it was more because I would never remember to get wipes at the store because I didn't need to go in the diaper aisle.  now I use the store brand unscented wipes and she's fine.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

DS was circumsized and still no one said not to use wipes on it.  We were only told to put vaseline on it after every diaper change so it would heal and not stick to anything.  He is fine and so are all his parts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

I have used an assortment of wipes on ds from day one and no one ever told me different. We did the snip snip too. I dont find I use so many wipes that they are costly.  One trick our pedi told us is to use original Mylanta or Maalox on the bum post bm to neutralize the area.  Our Daycare says ds is one of the only babies they have seen that has never had a diaper rash (11months and counting).  We also use Boudreaux's Butt Paste for diaper cream on and off.