With the cost for daycare in Mass. so high, how do you make it work?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCLifestyleStaff. Show BDCLifestyleStaff's posts

With the cost for daycare in Mass. so high, how do you make it work?

It's probably not going to surprise a lot of parents in Massachusetts to learn that we live in the highest-priced daycare market in the nation.  The average annual cost of full-time infant care in Mass. is $18,773.

So how do you make it work? Do you find yourself sacrificing other activities to afford childcare? Did you consider stopping working (or have you stopped) because the numbers don't add up?  Nanny-share? Daycare center? Split shifts with your partner?  What works for you? 

In this week's Sunday Globe Magazine: The daycare squeeze

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarieOnCape. Show MarieOnCape's posts

Re: With the cost for daycare in Mass. so high, how do you make it work?

Nothing has changed in all the years since I had my child. How did we make it work? We only had one child. We wanted another but couldn't afford it. And no, we weren't over extended, we lived in the 2nd cheapest house in the cheapest town in the area.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homer3. Show Homer3's posts

SIMPLE ADVICE - DON'T HAVE BABIES UNTIL YOU CAN AFFORD THEM.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We leave our children in the care of our trustworthy Saint Bernard, Nana.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sebe. Show sebe's posts

In Response to Re: With the cost for daycare in Mass. so high, how do you make it work?:
    SIMPLE ADVICE - DON'T HAVE BABIES UNTIL YOU CAN AFFORD THEM.
    Posted by Homer3

Exactly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rcari. Show Rcari's posts

I work evenings - I stay home with my little one during the day and get a sitter for the late afternoons and then my husband comes home and takes over from there. 

In response to comments on "wait till you can afford to have kids" - many people do - the average age for having children in this country is the highest in history - with the lingering costs of College debt, housing, healthcare, ext - having a family has been pushed later and later in life for many couples. My husband is turning 40 and we are about to have our second child.  We all make choices in life, however this country has taken a dramatic turn for the worse when you compare our nation to the 1950's, when families could live comfortably on one income and still be middle class.  For the future of our country, we need to consider these policies and do more for working families.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fred1973. Show Fred1973's posts

I think a lot of families that can afford it do not have mom work until the child is 5 or 6.  The amount of money that mom brings in just does not justify going back to work for many professions.  Especially when daycare centers charge $1 a minute if you are late!

For a lot of the admin people I know are forced to find a family member to watch the kids or have the kids watched by a friend/ neighbor who works nights or is home.  Especially in apartment buildings there is a lot of kids that are home alone and are told to go across the hall or upstairs if they need something.  The open secret is a lot of kids are told to go to the town library and study there until mom picks them up. 

I know we have used Grandma and plan on having our kids stay @ home on their own after school whey they are 9 or 10.

I'm stunned that we are more expensive than Hawaii! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alyoshak. Show Alyoshak's posts

Homer3 - that advice leads to a lot of high risk pregnancies. Why do you think most of the best athletes come from lower class families?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I believe people make it work when they need too.  My son is 10 and I would never let him stay home alone until I got there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonPug. Show BostonPug's posts

The whole point of this forum, was to ask how do you manage when costs are so high? If people waited to have children until they could afford them they never would have children. Everyone could afford children if costs of day care were not so high and continuing to increase.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from vivalaVABO. Show vivalaVABO's posts

The way the market is today it makes sense to have one parent work and the other stay home, why make one income solely to pay for daycare when you can have the luxury of staying home and bringing your child up your way, instead of in a "troth" getting no attention at all. It also makes sense in MA to not work at all for eather parent if you are of a monority status because you will be able to stay home and babysit your bon bons while you kid goes away for the day for free. I dont make these things up folks, its the truth and before you slap me around here....check it out for yourselves.....Yell

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

You just do.

We find ways to cut back, including no extras like dinner out or coffee breaks at work or shopping mindlessly on iTunes at night.  We watch our pennies and we shop when there's sales.  All that being said, I don't feel deprived.  My kid (who's 16 months) is getting an experience at daycare that I don't think I could be giving him at home.  He's playing with other kids, he's learning some sign language, he's being socialized and learning independence.

Could I afford to stay home with him?  Maybe, if we sold our car and canceled every nonessential amenity at home (like cable, cell phones, etc), but working full time for both of us enables us to not only have some nonessentials it also gives us the ability to pay down school loan debt and get the mortgage paid on time every month.  We might be able to manage on one income, but it wouldn't be easy.  Daycare takes a sizable chunk out of our budget, but every week we sit down and take a look at that budget and find places to cut without incurring debt and still having money for food and bills.

It's as much a matter of problem solving and time managment and money management as anything else is.  You make it work and that's all you do.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TEJP. Show TEJP's posts

In Response to Re: With the cost for daycare in Mass. so high, how do you make it work?:
    In Response to Re: With the cost for daycare in Mass. so high, how do you make it work? : Exactly.
    Posted by sebe

That's ridiculous, Sebe and Homer. You cant put a price on family. There's an old saying that states you'll never have enough time or money to have kids, that rings true. If you wait until you think you'll have enough of either it'll be too late. You simply adapt your lifestyle to accommodate. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxgrrrl. Show soxgrrrl's posts

"If you can't afford kids don't have them." Ok, sure, then good luck collecting your social security because there won't be any workers to pay for it.

We are extremely fortunate that we live in a three-family and our downstairs neighbors had a baby just before we did, and therefore we do a nanny-share. She makes a decent salary - but has no health benefits - and we pay about what we would for most decent infant daycares.  But next year when they're over 2 we plan to go the day care route, in part because we want them to have a more structured program with exposure to more kids, and in part because we would have to keep giving the nanny raises vs. the care getting cheaper as they get older. We would like to have another child, and if we do my entire takehome pay - and I make six figures - will likely go to childcare. If people who make what my husband and I do can barely afford a home (we live in an 1100 sq ft condo) and day care, how can ANYONE afford it? It's insane to say if you can't afford it you shouldn't have children.

EVERY OTHER WESTERN SOCIETY HAS A BETTER ANSWER TO THIS PROBEM THAN THE US. Why does the US hate its working families so much?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ivehadit2010. Show ivehadit2010's posts

I quit my job and now stay at home.  I will have as many children that I am blessed with.  We don't make a lot of money, we just don't waste money.  A good resource (for finances) is the Duggar's book "20 and counting."  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I have a lot to say on this subject, but I'm going to set up several shell accounts so that I can post my inanities anonymously and then cheer myself on under other names. Stay tuned.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: With the cost for daycare in Mass. so high, how do you make it work? : That's ridiculous, Sebe and Homer. You cant put a price on family. There's an old saying that states you'll never have enough time or money to have kids, that rings true. If you wait until you think you'll have enough of either it'll be too late. You simply adapt your lifestyle to accommodate.
    Posted by TEJP

Why is it ridiculous to be able to afford a child before you have one?  Sounds like good, solid planning to me.  Raising a child is the most important and one of the most expensive jobs on earth, and if you can't afford it, don't do it.  Even our dog costs $1000 to feed a year not to mention wellness vet visits, sick visits, toys, etc.  If were were barely scraping by, we'd not have a dog.  Isn't it that much more important to be able to feed, clothe and educate a child for 18+ years?!  In this economy with so many educated and formerly well employed people out of work, some families truly have already cut back all they can just to keep the house or not be evicted.  You think they can add a person to the household that keeps getting more and more expensive by the year simply because they want to?  Many families CAN afford kids even if it looks at first blush like they can't - they can tighten belts enough to make it work.  But, to say blanketly that everyone absolutely can afford it is, well, ridiculous.    We can't always have everything we want.  That includes kids.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoJoM154. Show JoJoM154's posts

wife stays home and doesn't work.  That $$$ is after tax so how much do you have to earn to make that?  At the end of the day in a job that is 50k a year just say/is it worth having someone else raise you kid?  Just another reason to get out of this state.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

What if you're making enough to have a kid, but then you lose your job? Should the kid be taken away and assigned to a wealthy couple?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

having quality child care be so expensive simply condemns the poor to, at best, neglect and, at worst, extinction.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pjbr. Show pjbr's posts

I hate to say it, but we have our childcare paid by my generous in-laws.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hulajane. Show hulajane's posts

For us, the solution is to join the Mass. "brain drain" and relocate. I'm a cancer researcher and my wife is an engineer-- we came here for our training. As much as we'd like to stay, the financial sacrifices are too great. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sebe. Show sebe's posts

In Response to Re: With the cost for daycare in Mass. so high, how do you make it work? : That's ridiculous, Sebe and Homer. You cant put a price on family. There's an old saying that states you'll never have enough time or money to have kids, that rings true. If you wait until you think you'll have enough of either it'll be too late. You simply adapt your lifestyle to accommodate. 
    Posted by TEJP

I stand by my agreement with Homer. Way too people are, do, and will crank out babies without ONE forethought about what it really takes. Money being one of those things. The whole issue is moot if you don't have any kids at all, or if you wait until you have the $$$. I prefer the former.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from alsingle. Show alsingle's posts

So, for all the folks who think that no one should have children unless they can "afford" them. What is your definition of being able to afford having children? For example, since my husband and I have a combined income of $128K, are we allowed to procreate under your definition of responsible parenting?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

To answer the actual question, in order to afford daycare we are a) looking in NH and hoping it's at least slightly more affordable and b) considering having the FATHER (my husband) stay home.  Yes, that's right, it doesn't have to be the mother who stops working.

Sections
Shortcuts