Working Moms (warning - long post)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Re: Working Moms (warning - long post)

Canuk...just because they're farther away, doesn't mean your kids won't be close to them.  I was much closer to my grandparents who are 7 hours away than to the ones who lived nearby.  Visits to and from them were always a great treat, and when we got older, when some kids went to camp, we spent 2 weeks a summer with our grandparents and it was wonderful!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree, "closer" is a state of mind and heart, not dependant on physical location these days especially with so many free and constant ways to communicate.  In my younger days, "this call is on your dime," was a common saying.  Now, kids would wonder what that means!  My grandmother was online in 1990, pretty early in the internet days.  And, my parents are online with my nephews, now, too, who are spread all over the country.  They video skype!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Working Moms (warning - long post):
    [QUOTE]Oh and Lemon - I saw your pix.  Adorable.  How much would she charge every 2 weeks?  Does she do windows?
    Posted by luckinlife[/QUOTE]

She'll work for raisins. Unfortunately, for every one thing she cleans she messes up another three. You should see the terrible things she does in the name of "folding laundry."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Not a mother, here.

But I work 50-60 hours outside the house at a job I HATE HATE HATE and LOVE to spend time with my husband on the weekends and evenings when I finally get home. 

So after a great deal of soul-searching and guilt-ridden angst, we tried a cleaning lady (actually, it's 2 or 3 ladies).  And LOVED it.  And decided that we could afford it every 2 weeks.  I LOVE every other Thursday now. 

We have 2 long-haired cats.  No kids, but we seem to make messes - adults make clutter like you wouldn't believe on many surfaces with our stupid important newspapers and bills and whatever the heck else we seem to have around! 

I basically NEVER clean anymore.  If we have friends over on an off-week I clean the 1st floor bathroom, and wash/vacuum the kitchen floor if needed.  But, seriously, I don't vacuum, dust, clean bathrooms, wash floors, worry that I should be doing it but am not, and I don't see dustbunnies racing around the corners of the house!   So liberating. (also when the cats come out from under the beds they don't have cobwebs on their whiskers anymore - that was so embarrassing!)

I think we pay $75 every other week and I was feeling guilty that I shouldn't do this because I'm not a mother, and I cleaned the house growing up, and why couldn't I do this, it's not rocket science.

Blah blah.

But I prefer to garden and spend time with my husband in the summer. In the winter we do other stuff. (what, I don't know!) And we don't clean.

Now, if I could just talk myself into having a cook 3 nights per week.....Laughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Oh CT... it makes me sad that you hate your job so much.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Dang, CT, who did you hire? I have someone every 2 weeks too, but pay more than you are [and they were not the highest bid I got!] and we are in somwhat comparable areas.  What company do you use? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I need to get a new cleaning person. Our lady stopped coming when we redid the kitchen, and now she has a new job with a longer commute and doesn't want to clean on her "off" days. I loved having her come, somehow she was able to get our house looking so much cleaner than it ever looks when I do the same things. And she could do our whole house in a couple of hours, whereas DH and I seem to need the whole weekend to do a poorer job.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I do absolutely no cleaning (I only pick-up) and it's awesome.  Today is a cleaning lady day and I'm going to come home to a nice and clean house!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I am envious of those of you with a cleaning lady... DH refuses to have anyone coming into our house when no one is home... my compromise is that I live with it cleaner than I'd ideally prefer and we dedicate a weekend to it every so often and do an extra good job

His compromise is that he looks after 'keeping up on it'... so he'll sweep or wet-swiffer the floor, wipe down the bathroom sink etc.  We have a small house so at least it doesn't take that long when we do get around to it :(

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ok, can I hijack my own post and ask if anyone has a cleaning service/person who would come to Somerville for less than $130 a month (what we currently pay for 1x per month cleaning) can you message me and give me their info?  I think I might be paying a bit much, but honestly I just called the first person with good reviews on yelp and hired them.

The only reason I have a cleaning person at all is that my mom gave it to me as a baby shower gift.  Best gift EVER!!  She gave me a limited budget (for 1 year) and my $130 per month goes over that. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I actually enjoy cleaning [yes, I know I'm crazy] and hate grocery shopping. I can take or leave cooking. However, DH doesn't grocery shop 'correctly' - meaning, he can't make a proper list, plan decent menus or not spend a fortune on food [I can stretch a dollar like nobody's business and coupon like crazy]. It's actually more cost effective for me to cook and grocery shop and hire a cleaner every 2 weeks.  I do clean in between and DH yells at me b/c 'that's what the cleaning lady is for'.  lol.

Canuk, I'd tell DH that he gets to clean the house by himself if that's his take on it. I was a  bit worried at first, but if you use a licensed and bonded company that is reputable, it's not something to worry about. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Oh - also:

I did email my friends a succinct message about all the SAHM talk and the response was positive.  Both said they felt terrible and that they were glad I said something.  Both of course tried to explain what they really meant, things like trying to justify their own decisions and soforth.  One also wrote me a second time, and also called, because she felt so badly.  So we seem to be ok and we'll see what happens in the future.  But I'm glad I addressed it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

In Response to Re: Working Moms (warning - long post):
    [QUOTE]Dang, CT, who did you hire? I have someone every 2 weeks too, but pay more than you are [and they were not the highest bid I got!] and we are in somwhat comparable areas.  What company do you use? 
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

I'm officially an idiot... we pay $120 every 2 weeks.  guess who doesn't actually PAY the bill?  Just asked hubby. 

Does that make you feel better, ALF?  (ALF and I live in the same general geographical area)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Oh, and, yes, given we have an alarm system on the house, we'd have to give the cleaners our alarm code (well, we'd make one up just for them, but still) in addition to a key.  And that was the sticking point... so my husband just gets here to open up the house for them - they get here about 4 or 4:30pm and are gone by 6:30 or 7pm when I get home.  He has a much more flexible job than I do, so he can leave at 3:30 and be home for them.

BUT if we couldn't manage it that way, we'd give them a key and then NOT set the alarm on their cleaning days - I don't see giving them a code so they could get in any time they wanted.  And, yes, if you use a licensed and bonded group (we do) then I guess you don't worry. 

For someone who was raised with a completely unlocked house 24/7, I've changed alot since marrying a man who had the house alarm installed within 1 week of moving in!  We even have it set to go off the second you enter the house, not giving 1 minute to get to the alarm pad! (we have a fob that allows us to turn the alarm off from outside the house, before we turn the house key).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Thanks, CT.  I feel better!  We pay $100 every 2 weeks. Money well spent. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

DH *does* do the bulk of the cleaning, needless to say I tried that angle with him... the reality is we have about 1000 sf house and it doesn't take all THAT long... I guess :)  When we really bust at the seams (which may be soon, the toys are taking over!) and move, maybe we'll revisit it

I'm with CT, I can remember when my parents began locking the door (I was a teenager) and I don't think twice about going for a walk or a run and leaving the house unlocked - makes DH wild!  I'm trying to be better about it...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

Hi Poppy....I have been meaning to post to your original question (and I apologize I haven't read all the other responses!)  But I work full time out of the house and have 2 boys ages 4 and 2.  I never could stay at home...I love, love, love my boys, but I know that I couldn't do it.  I like working outside of the house and having my "alone" time and still being able to be me.  Do I feel guilty about that sometimes - yes; other days I feel fine about it.  You have to accept who/how you are and move on with it....I feel like I'm a better mother to my boys because I am happy with myself.  I'm sure others have posted the same...but just thought I would chime in.  (I also have a cleaning lady that is pretty good...we pay $160 a month for twice a month.)  And I live in Melrose!  Anyways - just thought I would say hi!  Sorry for the delayed and probably repetitive post!

Sections
Shortcuts