5 year old girls - what are they into?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

5 year old girls - what are they into?

hi - i need to buy a present for a 5 year old girl before this weekend and have no idea what that age corresponds to with respect to interests.  are coloring books too childish?  any suggestions?  tia!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Re: 5 year old girls - what are they into?

I feel like coloring books might be a little too childish but not art supplies or crafts kits.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

my 5 YO twin nieces loved coloring books last year. I think it depends on the kid.  We also got them paint by number sets.  What about a beading kit?  Go to Michaels and look around.  They have tons of affordable art stuff. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I think Coloring books are ok.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

What about a crafts project like decorating a jewelry box or a mirror?  Also, this is random, but I bought a friend's 6 y/0 a pink lap pillow for her bday and she loved it.

IF you have a specialty toy store near you (like Learning Express), they are usually great with making suggestions.  YOu can even go in there to browse and get some ideas and then buy the gift somewhere else if you can find it cheaper. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I was at Michael's today and they have TONS of fun-looking, fairly inexpensive stuff.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

There are some nice coloring books out there that aren't so kiddie--the Ruth Heller's Designs To Color series are nice, as are the geometric design ones and the "stained glass window" style and the new doodle-as-starting-point drawing books, there's one whose name starts with Zoo.. or Zob..something.  Looks like what you'd get if Keith Haring designed a rated-G coloring book, bubbly geometric things.  They are a bit challenging for 5 and they work best with colored pencils rather than crayons but kids love them.  Adults can color along with the kids and not feel silly!  Barnes and Noble carries some of them and they have similar ones at Michaels.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

In addition to "stuff" comsider giving the gift of an activity.  Ice skating, a craft class, a special outing together.  My mom is into the activity gift for my kids, and it's a real treat for everyone.  The kids get to do something cool, they get to spend some fun time together, and we have one less thing to clutter up the house. (See Make Meaning in Dedham)

Or, along those lines, craft materials are great, especially if they come in a container for easy storage.  I've gotten good stuff cheap at Target, and Michaels.  I highly recommend the WASHABLE markers, in case of wayward doodles.   If you have the time, IKEA has some great cheap kids stuff too.