A different birthday party question.. preschool invites

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

A different birthday party question.. preschool invites

We received our first birthday invite from a classmate in DS's new preschool class.  I was surprised a bit.  I'm not inviting "friends" yet this year as it seems they are still learning how to co-play with each other, and DS is still much closer to family and cousins.  He's been in his new class for about 3 weeks.  This is a preschool room within his current daycare, so some of the kids he's known, but a few are new (he's never mentioned this boy's name whereas he has mentioned a few of the other kids many times).  There are 12 kids total I think.  They are the younger class, so these kids are 2.9 to about 3.3 or so... so in my opinion, still pretty young.  One of the moms did these really cute birthday invites, and put them in everyone's bin.  So the whole group was invited.  Hate to say it... I have no idea who this little boy is, and haven't met either parent.  I know I won't know every parent of every friend my son ever has, but I'm just feeling odd about this.  I don't want to jump to conclusions that my son is too young for birthday parties of people we don't know... but also just feel weird about attending.  Any thoughts or experiences with school birthday parties.  It's this weekend - she just put invites in bins last week.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Re: A different birthday party question.. preschool invites

I only invite those kids that I know my kids play with, or with my younger one, that  know and get along with the parents. But we also do home parties with limited space.

When DS had been invited, because everyone else has, we only go if he truly plays with the child-even at age 4.5. It's not that I'm not being social, but we've got such busy weekends, that to add one more social event for a child that my DS is just "eh" about, I don't see the point.

Or day care/preschool is truly a everyone lives/works with each other so in some way you know the parents of the other kids.

But if you don't have anything else going on, at that age, they do have a lot of fun at these parties, and it's a great way to make connections with the new preschool room (gets you gossip and insight as to what else is going on...). You could ask the teachers if they seem to play together, that would gauge if this is a budding relationship.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I wouldn't sweat it either way... If you're not busy, go for it if it sounds like fun!  If not, no big deal.  (I'm assuming that this is a parents stay scenario, not drop off and leave.)

possible that they wanted to invite some of the kid's buddies but didn't want to leave anyone out so they invited the whole class.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

We have had a few invites to birthday parties from daycare and now preschool (same place).  In both instances they are kids that DD has known for a long time and plays with.  Although, I think it is nice that parents invited and included everyone.  A nice opportunity to make friends, and build relationships for the kids and parents.

I do know about the busy weekends though.  Go if you can - but don't sweat it.  I think the kids have a blast when they get to see eachother outside of school.  They know it is something special and my DD 'LOVES' peoples' birthdays.  We just went to a 3rd birthday party for one of her best little boyfriends at school - they've been in the same classes since they were 10 months old.  It was the cutest thing ever to watch.  They squealed with delight when they saw each other and hugged and played all throughout the party.  Her first "boyfriend"... daddy says he's so not ready for this... hee hee! :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Most schools will have a policy--if you're going to bring invitations to school, you need to invite everyone, or boys invite the boys, girls invite the girls.  Otherwise if you want to just invite a few, ask them privately through mail, email, or phone.

And some people will invite everyone just to be friendly and polite. 

Most people will not mind if the kids who don't play with their kids as much don't come, but will welcome them if they do come.  And you can't go to everything, anyhow.  So don't worry about it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

I agree with the others - really up to you and DS - if you have a busy schedule, then don't sweat it, and if you have a quiet weekend, it could be fun. DS was 2.5 years old when he went to a party for a classmate we did not know too well, and he had a total blast (even though he was not really interested in playing "with" other kids).And I had a fun time talking to the parents/family of the twins (one twin was in DS's room).

And for DS' party, we invited his old and new classmates since he just moved up to his new room but had friends from his old room (we did his whole room to avoid excluding any classmate), and expected not to have too many come, so it won't (or should not) be a surprise that not all classmates show up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

We had our first invite to a party for a kid we didn't know this past summer. It was the kid's 2nd bday party - so little! We went, I didn't know a soul (DH knew a couple of parents from dropoff/pickup, which I never did). It was actually pretty fun! It was comical to be whispering to DD when different families arrived, "Who is that?" DD had a ball. I definitely would have felt very awkward if DH hadn't come with me, so I'd recommend bringing a partner if you go. I approached a few parents and initiated some chat (with Eleanor Roosavelt strongly in mind... I find these kinds of things rather terrifying) and was very proud of myself. The little boy's mom was *thrilled* that we came. In the end, it was kind of exhausting but I'm glad we went. However, that said, if it is too busy of a time for you and you can't swing it, don't feel you have to drop everything and go.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

At those parties, you ought to be able to go up to anyone and say "I'm X, y's mother" and boom! you've been introduced!  Should be less terrifying than having to discuss where you work, what you do, how you know the hosts, etc - you're Y's mother? OK, come on in a join the fun - er, fray!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

The birthday party circuit is exhausting sometimes. The first time we had more than family for DS's birthday was his third. We did that at the house and we didn't invite every kid from class, just the ones he was buddies with and the ones whose parents I knew slightly or better. For his fourth birthday, I invited his entire class and a couple other kids not in his class that he plays with on a regular basis. We had it somewhere else and it was a blast. It's a great way to get to know other parents at the school. It does get expensive though. We don't go to every single party (I'd be broke in a week), but the ones we do go to DS has such a blast that even though it's a total PITA for me to go, I'm always happy we went because he's so happy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

It is turning out that this weekend just isn't going to work for us to attend, unfortunately.  I did call the mom and let her know (she was lovely, of course).  However, I will keep a more open mind about future invites.  I'm not at all nervous about introducing myself to strangers (kinda what I do for a living), but I guess was just taken aback that, as KMMZ says, the "circuit" has started already.  There are actually quite a few of DS's little friends that I'd love to get to know better, and their parents.  I'm not ready to host them all at DS's this year (I will be 36 weeks pregnant) but will do so next year for sure!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

Birthday parties can be surprisingly fun, especially during the winter when the week-end can get long.  

Someone else mentioned that inviting the class is a nice thing to do, our son's teacher mentioned that the kids know what envelopes in the mailboxes mean, and it can be hurtful if they're not included, so they encourage inviting everyone, or being discreet.

If the party is at some sort of venue (playspace, etc), you often pay a flat fee regardless of the number of kids attending, so I think that could contribute to the idea of inviting everyone.

Sections
Shortcuts