February Preschoolers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

February Preschoolers

Happy February! How did this happen?? 

The last few posts in Infants got me thinking, and I have a question for you all. I saw a picture the other day of my friend's 3.5 year old using a pencil and holding it mostly the correct way. My DD, not quite 3.5, still holds crayons/markers in her fist, and I rarely let her use pens and pencils (I don't even know if we have any pencils). She won't let me show her the correct way to hold them, gets frustrated with me. Any tips? Should she be able to use the correct grip at this age? She can write her name, but it's laborious because of her grip. I don't think they do much writing at her preschool, I think they focus more on other types of art projects, and play.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Re: February Preschoolers

Poppy-I got one of these http://www.thepencilgrip.com/dyn_prod.php?p=TPITPG-001&k=27468 for DS. It has helped, but it's only on one pencil and he always goes for the other ones.  I'm sure at 3.5 it's early to hold a pencil correctly.

I'm glad it's Feb-means spring is getting closer! For some reason I've just had enough with this cold winter! ready for warmer weather!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

poppy, i am not sure when they really start "writing". DS is same age as your DD, and he does not even get one letter so I am impressed she is doing her name, as labor-intensive as it is.  His preschool teacher is prepping them for the next room by having them try one letter (following dots) on a big sheet of paper once or twice a week, but if the kids say "no" she does not push them (DS most of the time will just tell her he is not interested). I am not sure what age they are expected to be able to start really writing, but I don't think they are really expected to understand the basic mechanicss of writing for another year or two. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Well, DD can hold a pen/pencil the "right" way, but only because DH showed her a long long time ago.  In between, she went back to the fist but then came back to the "right" way on her own.  If I tried to show her now, I guarantee she would be the same and not want me to show her.  I tried to show her how to write an "e" the other day (there is one in her name and she tries to write it in one fell swoop and it comes out sideways) and she got super mad.  So I dropped that!  I don't think they need to be doing this now.  I actually wish they would do less with letters and stuff at her daycare.

My DD is doing much better in general... she still gets nervous when we are seeing people, but she's able to talk about it better and generally get comfortable faster.  At daycare she still usually doesn't want to play with the other kids, although she will once in a while.  We were reading a story about friends in her magazine and she liked it and I asked if she would like to have a friend like that and she said she doesn't want any friends "except maybe, like, Mom, and Dad, and maybe Gran and Grandpop."  Sigh.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Medford - in all seriousness, I know you and I don't know each other, but if you ever want to get the girls together and try a playdate, let me know. They are so similar, it could either go really well, or be very quiet! Haha. 

Ok, it sounds like there is a huge range (surprise, surprise!) with regard to pencil grip, etc. And I didn't even know she could write her name until she showed me the other day! Mother of the year! the "Z" is sort of on it's side and her "E" had about 10 lines coming off of it until DH showed her to just do 3 lines (she'll listen to HIM!), but she can pretty much write it. I have no idea who showed her. It wasn't me or DH. And I'm pretty sure they don't do it in school, but not sure.

KAM - thanks for the link! Ditto about spring. I am so done with winter. Yay, more snow tomorrow!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy, totally!  Where do you live??  Send me a message... I'll see if I can figure out how to do the same.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

We live in Andover, about 30 seconds off 93. I will try to send you a message...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

After avoiding it forever - and a couple of failed half-hearted attempts - we are into underpants for DD!  

We took advantage of the fact that she's been talking about how she can't wait for summer when she can wear dresses and underpants and no tights (!). and used yesterday's day at home locked in the house to really get started.  I put her into one of her summer dresses (with a sweatshirt and socks), and underpants, and we stayed that way all day.  3 accidents (2 on the way to the potty), but at least 5 successes.  Sent her to school today with underpants and about 5 extra outfits, and so far, only 1 accident today.  

I can't wait to be down to only one set of diapers in our house!  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi strangers!  Just getting caught up on Jan and Feb posts. 

CT - Got a kick out of the codfish incident!  I actually thought you were suggesting that codfish oil would help settle him down at night LOL.

DD is wearing undies at daycare for the first time too!!  We got a bit sidetracked around the holidays, but the past couple of weekends we've been doing undies for a few hours here and there.  Yesterday she wore them all day except for nap time with no accidents, so I thought why not keep the ball rolling.  She usually p00ps during nap time, so we'll probably do diapers for a while.  Not sure how she's doing at daycare today with more distractions and no one asking her every 20 mins if she needs to sit on the potty :o)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Jealous of all this undie success stories! We (I) tried undies on DD a few times recenty-and someone (DH) keep shutting the bathroom door so she can't get in! A few times she's been trying to get there and can't due to the closed door and...having a hard time getting her to try to do a BM in the toilet. She knows when she needs to, stops what she's doing to do it, but refuses to go to the bathroom, instead she says "no, Mommy, go away." Even if I happen to enter the room unknowlingly. Tought to be patient!

Hope everyone had fun in the snow yesterday. We went out to shovel-the kids had a blast shoveling the snow back on our walkway. Both of them slept great last night!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

KAM, I also have a shoveler at home.  My DS1 (almost 3.5) LOVES to shovel.  As soon as we mention snow, he asks if he can shovel.  We got him a shovel his size and he's actually quite good at it.  We'll take it now, as I have no doubt we'll be fighting to get him out when he's old enough to realize its a chore.  He was having so much fun in the snow.  He was flying down the slide on his swingset into the huge pile of snow.  Sledding down a mini hill in our backyard.  It was awesome.  Our daycare was open, and we contemplated driving them both in for about 2 seconds because we both had conference calls that were happening regardless of the snow (most of my colleagues are out west), but so glad we made it work and had an awesome family day (and DH and I managed to get our work done too).  And you are right... I think DS1's eyes were closed before I even turned out his lights (no "I need to go potty" routine that we usually get 10 minutes after we close the door).

And congrats to the new underwear wearers!!  It is a wonderful thing indeed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy, I don't know if you sent me a message, but I can't figure out how to send or receive!  I keep going to messages and it keeps telling me to log in.  I AM logged in, BDC!

DH is away but thankfully my mom was here yesterday and DD was able to come out and shovel with me while my mom was inside with the baby.  DD is actually pretty good at it!  But of course at a tiny fraction of the pace.  I'm so glad she finally is into being out in the snow.  Last year she hated it and even cried when I would sit in the snow, and sometimes she didn't even want to walk on it.

How do people know when to switch to underwear overnight?  DD is 3.5 and has been in underwear with almost no accidents since maybe September.  Every now and again she has a nap accident.  Her nighttime diaper is usually wet, but I don't really know if she's going in her sleep or when she wakes up.  She has been asking to wear underwear at night but I've been stalling.  Should I tell her we'll do it when her diaper stays dry?  Or just go for it?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Medford - I can't message you, and can't find the facebook page. Email me at oona1211 at yahoo dot come if you want to try and set something up. :)

Congrats to the underwear-ers! So exciting. KAM, don't worry, you'll get there. DD also will not p00p in the potty, only in a diaper. It's on our list of things to deal with.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Med, I could be wrong, but I think if the nighttime diaper is still wet, she's not ready.  My DS wears a pull-up to bed, and it has been dry every single morning for about a month.  But selfishly I'm not ready to put him in underwear yet because I know once I do, he'll have that one accident and I'll be changing sheets at 2am.  And with an 11 week old... I'm trying to save every minute of sleep I can get.  Perhaps you could try pull-ups and call them "overnight underwear" and see how she does?  We made a big deal that pulls-ups were not diapers when we started using them, and how he was a big boy, not supposed to pee in his overnight underwear, etc.  I know they get a bad rep, but they work really well for us.  He peed in them for about 2 months (and almost always right in the morning as they were warm) then just stopped on his own. 

So this morning at about 4am, I hear "Goodnight mommy... see you when I wake up" quite loudly.  This is what DS says at bedtime just as we are closing his door.  It was so bizarre.  I went in to see if he was ok... and he said it again.  Wonder if he was dreaming about bedtime :-)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Happy Friday everyone.  Good luck with all the potty training going on!  DD1 (3.5) has been good during the day, naps, and long car rides since last summer, but we still do the night time pull up.  Like others have said, most of the time, it is dry, but we do it more for my own sanity than anything.  We have been working on the "star" system because out of laziness, I think she was just peeing in it first thing in the morning when she got up.  Now, she gets a "star" each morning that her pull up is dry.  If we accumulate enough stars, we go to dunkin donuts on Friday mornings (which we did this morning!).  DD2 is 8 months old and I also don't want the middle of the night disruptions changing wet sheets!

DD1 also loves to draw and write.  She likes to trace her letters and numbers and she holds a writing instrument pretty well, although I have not really scrutinized her form, but it seems ok for a 3 year old I guess.  Her name is really long (8 letters) so she can't really write it by herself but she can copy it.  She loves to do this at pre school and at home.

She is going to pre-k in September and I know they use smart boards and work on letters and numbers a lot, so I'm not in any rush for her to master any of those things right now.  If she is into it, fine, but I don't really push it.  She loves the pbs show "word world", which is pretty cute and educational for this age.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

For DS it took me a while to accept he was waking up dry every night, he started this before he went in undies during the day-man he was so easy to "train" (really there was no training him at all he just did it all on his own at an early age) that I just know DD is going to give us a run for our money-no way we could have two kids train easily and early.

Med-I'd ask her if she wakes up wet, or can't make it to the bathroom in time-but it sounds like she isn't ready for undies at night yet.

A while back we had a discussion about books-I read DS his first chapter book "My Father's Dragon" a very cute book that DS really loved. We're now reading the Ralph the Mouse books now and again, he loves them. Thinking of getting him Robinson Crusoe http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Robinson-Crusoe-Illustrated-Classics/dp/1603400362/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1391785418&sr=8-10&keywords=robinson+crusoe has anyone else tried the illustrated classics books for kids?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks for the night thoughts!  I wasn't sure if I was crazy to be holding off, but it sounds like I'm not the only one.  IPW, that's so cute.  Both my DD and my DH talk in their sleep, and when they do, it's always very loud and clear.  It's like if they sound wide awake, I know they're actually sleeping!

KAM, truth be told I don't love that illustrated classics series.  My MIL always bought them for my nieces.  I just didn't enjoy reading them, and I thought they kind of "damaged" the original versions, yet often had troubling elements that we had to do a lot of explaining about.  Personally, I will stick with younger chapter books for DD and save the full version classics for later (at least until my MIL shows up with the illustrated ones...) but of course you and your DS might love them!

Oh, we have been reading the original winnie the pooh, which is chapters, but sometimes DD gets antsy, and the language is quite thick.  She still keeps asking for it, but I think it's more for the concept of reading a big book, rather than that she actually enjoys it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Med - I think we posted at the same time, as I did not see your post above mine until just now. Feel free to email me if you'd like. 

We just switched DD to pull-ups for nighttime, and we're having a weird leaking issue. If she pees in it as soon as I put it on, it leaks right out. Very irritating. She's also not p00ping in the potty yet, and we're not sure how much to push it. She's almost 3.5. I don't know why she won't - she doesn't seem to have a specific reason. I'm of the mind, at the moment, to not push it for the time being. But if anyone has any ideas, I'm open. Bribery does not work with her. She'd rather go without than do the thing she doesn't want to do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Does anyone use something like this travel potty seat for public toilets?  Wondering if I would actually get use out of it...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Fram-yes, I have the travel one (the folding one). Got it for DS and we used it a few times. It folds up small enough that I can fit it in my purse. Needs to be able to slip something in that's probably 6 inches by 2.  At Ikea this weekend I actually got a little potty seat to keep in the car-from home to daycare there are no places to stop to let a little one go to the bathroom.

med-thanks for the book feedback.

Poppy-can you ask her why she won't p00p in the potty? I have no advice, but I see this being a problem with DD so I'm interested in how it works out for you. is she in preschool?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Hi KAM - I've tried asking her and she doesn't seem to know. Here is my thought, as much as I don't like thinking it: she has witnessed me many times peeing in the potty (sorry if TMI), but never the other thing. :)  I'm wondering if she's nervous because she's never seen it done! Even though she has actually done it a few times herself, before she was ever potty trained. I kind of think she just doesn't like change. She did once say she was afraid it would get on her clothes, but only mentioned that once and I tried to explain how it's actually much less messy than using a diaper. She is in preschool, but never p00ps there. I should actually ask them if any of the kids do, and if she's ever seen them, or talked about it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Poppy- I have friends whose DD (who just turned 7) told her parents she wouldn't potty train until she was 3. Nothing they did worked in training her. on her 3rd birthday she decided she was done with diapers and voila! (if only it was that easy.) I always think of that when potty training comes up, some kids just decide X will be it and leave them in control. If she's never seen you p00p, then maybe it's time she sees it does't hurt, it's less messy etc.. Worth a shot. Not to add pressure, but informational purposes only. Then again, if it doesn't happen naturally, then it's odd to call for her when you're ready. lol. I wonder if she's seen another child have difficulty with it in preschool-or make a mess with it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Poppy - I think it's common for kids to initially only do pee in the potty.  I'm just not sure at what age that needs to be pushed...  DD is younger than yours (just about to turn 3), but she is also resistant to #2 on the potty.  She has done it once at home and once at preschool, but otherwise she has gone in her undies.  This past weekend, I kept repeating that she can only do it in her potty or ask for a diaper and she did ask for a diaper one day, so that's good.  But I'm sure in a few months I'll be in your boat wondering if it's time to move on from that!

Can I take a moment for a stupid mommy vent?  A couple weeks ago, I decided it was time to step it up in the hair department and spend a whole extra 5 minutes on my hair in the morning... But so far no one has noticed!  Actually, one person noticed, but she didn't compliment it she just said my hair looked curly.  Thanks?  Sigh.  On the other hand, it makes me feel better so I really shouldn't care if anyone notices.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

Poppy - DS refused - REFUSED - to p00p in the potty for months after he was pee trained. We tried everything. Bribery. Threats. We even hid every single pull up in the house and he still would not sit on the toilet, even when we knew he had to go (desperately in some cases). He wore underwear all the time, but when he had to p00p, he'd ask for a pull up.

We asked why and he told us any number of reasons - he was scared, he didn't like the way the toilet flushed, he just didn't feel like it (I think all of those were legit reasons, but I think he's also just a stubborn, stubborn child and this was something he could dig his heels in on that we had absolutely no control over). Eventually, he got over it. They worked with him at school on it. Even if we gave him a pull up, he had to sit on the potty before we'd give it to him. Finally, one day, we really were out of pull ups and he just shrugged and did it. And he's been doing it ever since. When she's ready, she'll do it. Everyone told me boys were late to train, but holy god I was worried he was going to end up in kindergarten without using the toilet to p00p (he was four when we finally got him to stop using the pull up).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

We have a lot of discussion about p00p in our house.  Not sure if it helped or not.  DD trained for pee and p00p at the same time, but she was already a p00p withholder, even in diapers.  She would only do it at home, only at the right time and place that she wanted to, et cetera.  Sometimes she gets so blocked up and it's the pits, so I wouldn't push it because withholding is a crummy cycle.

Fram - your hair looks great today!  Did you do something different?