Feeding Fussy Preschoolers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Feeding Fussy Preschoolers

Me, too!  I HATE fruit on the bottom yogurt - the chunky stuff ruins it.  I like the flavor and wish they'd make whipped versions.  In fact, I eat the yogurt off the top and throw away the jam, but then the yogurt isn't sweet enough.  ARGH!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

:)  too funny!  I want *everything* to be chunky!  ice cream, PB, yogurt, nuts in chicken salad... et cetera.

Kar - Stonyfield's lowfat yogurt cups have some that are fruit on the bottom but some that are "smooth and creamy".  Not sure about the "fat free" yogurt - I find the low fat more satisfying so I get those, but some may disagree!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Kar - fruit on the bottom yogurt is the most vile thing ever invented. I HATE it!. Try the Stonyfield Yo-kids - it's got the flavor, but is smooth.

I hate nuts in food so much that I sometimes tell people I'm allergic so I can avoid eating them without seeming rude. I know it's a horrible deception, but I can't help myself. I once went to visit a friend for a weekend at her mom's summer house in NH. She served pecan crusted fish on Friday night, a salad with walnuts mixed in on Saturday lunch and some sort of nut filled thing for dinner - maybe pasta with pesto (which I like) and extra walnut pieces in it. For breakfast the next day she made French toast - and sprinked nuts on it! I truly thought I'd die if I had to choke down another nut. I mean reallly...who does that???? :) 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, friends!  I thought I was the only one who found fotb yogurt VILE, LOL.  I'll look for your suggestions. I love TJ's Greek Honey yogurt; to me it's the epitome of the perfect yogurt.  (I don't care if it's not fat free - I count but don't necessarily avoid calories.)

And, I think the allergy deception is fine, I mean, really, if people could graciously accept you don't care for something it would be different, but they don't, they push and persuade and won't let it go.  that is weird about the nut friend...I do that with cheese, but that's normal...right?!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

I've got a picky eater, and one who eats everything.  I've raised them both the same way, so try not to drive yourself too crazy.

One thing that has worked well for me is to focus on the "Trying" instead of the eating.  It takes the pressure off a bit, and lets you focus on progress instead of "failures."  Getting my LO used to just trying new things made a big difference in expending his palate down the road.

Cooking together can be fun, and a little less stressful if you prepare the measurements ahead of time so they just have to dump and mix.  We make stuff like individual quiches in a cupcake pan (mix and pour the eggs, then let them add shredded cheese, etc).  Very simple, and the individual servings are handy later.

In addition to cooking, I recommend shopping together.  Enlist a second adult so it's less hectic, and take both kids to the store.  Let them explore the food options and see what appeals to them, you may be surprised.  I'd recommend doing this in a Whole foods if you can, because it's sort of hard to find unhealthy  options there (Not that I judge treats, I LOVE treats, but it can be a distraction for this exercise).  Also, they have kid size carts, which make it kind of fun.

Also, our local grocery store has a substantial prepared foods section, so I take the kids and say, you have to eat 3 veggies, which would you like to pick?  They may be more inclined to eat stuff they picked out.  Plus, the prepared foods are a great way to try a little bit of a new food, so you don't get frustrated by the time and expense sunk into something they won't eat.  If you just buy one chunk of tofu, a few beans etc, it's not expensive at all.

I don't work for Whole Foods or anything, I shop at Shaws and Trader Joes too, It just works for me in this case.  Also, summer is coming, and Farmer's Market's can be a great place to get kids interested in some new foods.  The vendors are usually really happy to talk about their farms, and sometimes give a free sample.

I've had some success with a "this then this" approach.  So I say, totally casually "if you eat your veggies you can have ice cream, it's up to you."  I think of it less as a bribe, but as giving them the power to make the choice, and making it less adversarial.  But it's important to be act cool when you do it. 

One friend swears her kid will eat anything off of toothpicks, and another swears by dipping.  I've never had success with either, but may be worth trying.

Remember, they won't starve themselves, this will pass.  Try to stay calm (even though it can be SO frustrating), to avoid making food or mealtime a "thing."  Good luck, it will definitely get better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

In response to misslily's comment:

I still prefer all these foods without the crunchy stuff. :)

Oh, yes, WHY do they put crunchy in smooth stuff?  Peanuts in peanut butter, no way! NUTS in brownies? Way to ruin a perfectly yummy brownie... and I hate to mix the fruit into the yogurt, you always get plain yogurt and then a bite of just fruit bits, oh, yuck!Laughing

Also, yoplait makes a whips yogurt and another one that is mixed all through (and that one is low fat) so it's possible.  I now get chobani "greek" yogurt (I say this in quotes because these companies are not greek, are not importing from greek, so it's not greek yogurt, it's 'greek type' yogurt, although even then, is it really made with goat's millk? NO? then not greek yogurt.... but anyhow....

I somehow can deal with chobani yogurts - they seem to mix well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I must implore you to try TJ's Greek-style (yes, indeed) Honey yogurt - to die for, all us smooth food lovers!!  If I could give you samples through your screens, I would!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

huh, a whole subculture of nut haters and smooth/chunky enemies!  Misslily, that nut weekend menu sounds delicious!  ;)  Well, thanks for the insight - it's nice to know that DD is in good company!

I like your suggestion, micromom, about the grocery shopping.  DD loves the grocery store, so I will try to involve her in more of the decisions about what to actually get.  Sadly, our WF does not have kid-sized carts, but apparently the TJ's near my mom does, so that will be a fun excursion some time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I LOVE crunchy food. I LOVE fruit on the bottom! I don't like the chunky peanut butter, but anything else I am totally game for! I find chewy things vile. Like shrimp....ugh!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

This is so funny! I am with the ones who love the fruit on the bottom of yogurt (but only Ciobani), maybe because I am not a huge fan of the actual yogurt. And I would eat nuts on anything. I can't stand things that are all one consistency, it makes me ill. So interesting!

Micromom - I love the idea of letting DD pick out a veggie or two in the grocery store! she is all "I pick it!" with everything else, so she'd probably love that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I don't like fruit on the bottom yogurt because the fruit is gross.  I do love to add regular cut up fruit to my greek yogurt.

As for everything else,

CRUNCHY REPRESENT!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Also, look at all our food hangups.  Have mercy on the kiddos. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I went to dinner last night with friends, one of whom has a son 2 months older than my DD. Food came up. Actually, I think I brought up how DD now knows what dessert (or, as she calls it, "bessert") is. Anyway, my friend (I'm sure not realizing it) proceeded to tell us how good her son is about eating and her routines for dessert (if he takes x number of bites of everything on his plate, he gets dessert but that they don't TELL him that, they just do it, etc, etc.). Sort of in that "this is all you need to do" way of indirect advice-giving. Totally made me feel badly that DD is not a good eater. I started to get defensive, but then decided to just let it go and make a mental note to avoid those discussions in future. This is the same friend whose son sleeps until 8:30ish every morning and has pretty much since birth.

Sorry, just had to vent a little.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Poppy-I bet the child is reading at the 6th grade level now and mastering Bach on the piano. :)

I wonder how many of us are more critical of our children's behavior (a.k.a. our parenting skills/capabilities) here than we are to people IRL? Much safer to open up here to people who don't really know us, can't really judge us, about our small little struggles with every day issues (feeding/discipline etc) than with friends who can judge us more easily?

ETA: I love crunchy food! Prob why my kids prefer to eat raw veggies to cooked ones.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

CRUNCHY!  Nuts and FOTB yogurt for life!  Will this issue cause a rift on the boards...?  ;)

Poppy, there's always someone like that.  Whatevah.  I keep reminding myself of how my husband ate almost no variety growing up and now he is pretty much fully functioning.  :)

I was laughing to myself this weekend because I made a bag of frozen sweet potato fries.  By the time they were ready, DD was chomping at the bit and ate a TON, even though she hasn't touched sweet potato in a year.  Now I'm wondering if my new plan can be to call lots of things "fries"???

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, I can't speak for the other smooth yogurt lovers, but I know I hate you now, med. ;)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I hate you, too, obviously.  ;)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to medfordcc's comment:

I hate you, too, obviously.  ;)

LOL!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Ah.... crunchy food vs. smooth

fruit on bottom yogurt vs. all mixed together...

nuts in brownies or not...

Almost like old times on the wedding boards when the dreaded cash bar was discussed!

Laughing

On a more serious note, I'm so glad that it seems like the people on these boards are ok and were not injured (or family members) during the bombing.  I heard about it, called my parents and sister in the Boston area, and sent an email to parents regarding tightening our procedures at our center, since sometimes when something happens in one major city, something happens in another city, and DC can be a target. But so incredibly sad that going to, or running in, a marathon can lead to death and the loss of limbs.  Truly horrible.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

CT, sorry you missed Winterbrides's saddest of saddest connections she announced yesterday.  I cannot repeat it as she removed it on purpose for her anon, but you can probably gather quite a bit if you go to CC's last couple of pages.  Sorry...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Just wanted to post as my DS (2 1/2) absolutely will not eat sides.  He eats just about any meat.. loves steak.  Asks for it every night almost.  But won't touch a starch if its presented as a side (mashed, roasted potatoes, rice, pasta) He's gladly eat a french fry (regular or sweet potato... but I think its more the mechanism to injest more ketchup).  Although oddly enough he'll eat plenty of mac and cheese, don't think he realizes that is a starch.  And he won't touch a single veggie out there.  He knows they are veggies... even one's he's never seen before.  Sometimes I'll put an apple or banana on the side and he'll have a bite... but he really just wants the meat.  I have all these great plates with different sections and we just use one for the meat :-)  He just started picking at the pasta when we give him pasta and meatballs.  My only option for veggies are the pouches still.  He will inhale one of those and sometimes ask for another.  So even at his age, I still give him one a night to give him the fruit/veggie serving.  One of those things I try not to judge myself on.

And speaking of fruit on the bottom (which I am just fine with), has anyone tried the Stoneyfield Chocolate on the bottom!!??  OMG... heaven in a cup!  And the chocolate has no chips for your smooth eaters out there :-)

Sections
Shortcuts