Food for 9-12 month old

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Food for 9-12 month old

Hi all, 

Please share with me what you have been or did feed your 9-12 mos old. DD is not a huge eater. She still has about 24-28 oz of formula a day, but I feel like other food is somewhat of a struggle. I've been giving her purees since she was 6 mos old. Some jarred, some homeade. Some days she is into it, some days not-so-much. I have two friends who did baby-led weaning (no purees, big chunks of food from 6 mos on), and after doing research, I am just not comfortable with it. 

DD has started eating finger foods (muffins, pancakes, bits of fruit and veggie, bread, hummus, ground turkey, etc) but I find myself concerned about her calorie intake. For instance, she had 6 oucnes this morning, then a jar of pears, some cheerios and little bit of muffin. Am I stressing too much? Now that I look at what I have written down, that is a pretty good breakfast for a 9 mos old.

She has her 9 month appt today so I will be having an in-depth discussion with her pedi about it, but would love to get your opinions. Thanks!! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Re: Food for 9-12 month old

ETA: did not mean to put this in the preschoolers section!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Liz, my friends' triplets are 10 months old.  They eat bm, formula, and for solid food they have a mashed mixture of banana and oatmeal.  Sorry, I have no idea in what amounts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Sounds like a decent breakfast to me too, Liz.  I knwo wher eyou are coming from though.  Now that DD is going from purees to table food, and not all of it makes it into her mouth, I am concerned sometimes that she won't get enough.  The way I figure it, DD still takes about 28 oz of bm a day, so she is getting nutrition.  The food is more "practice."  ITs on my list for the 9 mo appt later this month as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I hear you on the obsessiveness about food.  My DS is 7 months old and is not too into his solids either.  He gets a ton through nursing/bottles (usually nurses 2-3 times a day, plus about 18-22 oz of formula or pumped milk), and he loves puffs/mum-mums/that kind of thing, but makes the worst face and really is not too interested in cereal or purees.  This week I started the baby-led weaning thing a bit...gave him teeny banana pieces and teeny avocado pieces instead of mashing them up like I usually do...and it went over a little better.  I'm planning to start yogurt over the weekend and see how he likes that...yogurt was huge with DD, so I'm hoping he'll like the texture, too. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I'm having the same concerns.  We are doing a combination of purees and finger foods and I'm not sure how to switch DS (10 months) to all finger foods.  I do at least one finger food at each meal so he gets lots of practice.  But I also include a puree and oatmeal at each meal so I know he's eaten something.

For finger foods we've been doing: scrambled eggs, grilled cheese, squares of cheese, Amy's bean and rice burrittos, steamed zuccini slices, bagels.  We've tried chicken, ground beef and shredded steak which he sometimes likes and sometimes refuses.  So far he's been refusing pasta but I keep trying.

I worry a lot that he's not getting enough, he's a peanut too, but I always offer more and he'll stop eating when he's had enough.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

HI Liz - don't stress about it. I did and its a waste of emotions. Think of food for practice instead of nutrition at this point. I read a great book called "Child of Mine" by Ellyn Satter - discusses teaching kids good eating habits and letting them take the lead. Basically it's your job to provide the food - it's her job to eat it...or not.

Another great resource for ideas is www.wholsomebabyfood.com and www.weelicious.com.

My kids did fairly well with Earth's Best purees, applesauce, yogurt and a few homemade things. Fingerfoods at that age were really small pieces of banana or jarred pears or apples. My son liked Cheerios and tiny bits of American cheese (and no other finger foods for ages). The gerber puffs were a big hit too.

Hang in there - this is a fairly short phase, by our 12 month appt. my pedi said, "no more purees - just table food". :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Liz, when you feed her, do you eat too?  We try to have the baby sit and eat when we are eating.  Often, she will be hungry for her dinner while we're still cooking and it will be more convenient to feed her some of her food before we start but we keep her in her seat at the table and throw some food on her tray while we eat.  She's not frustrated because she's already eaten yogurt or applesauce or whatever we fed her earlier, but she loves picking at her food on her tray (usually just pieces of whatever we're eating that's small enough or soft enough for her) and being part of meal.

Don't stress about the food intake.  I know that's much easier said than done.  My eldest was and is a peanut.  She still is a snacker.  Just remind yourself it's better to let her moderate her own food intake.  You don't want to keep stuffing her past her limit and teach her to ignore her instincts.  Babies are tiny and don't really need that much food and tiny babies need less than big ones. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

also, this is one area where formula feeding really does make it harder--on the parent, at least.  With breastfeeding you get kind of used to having almost no idea how much the baby is actually eating, other than how long it takes, so it's easier to take a deep breath and try not to obsess about the solid food.  With formula feeding you know exactly how much the baby eats EVERY time and it's hard to transition to not being sure with the solids. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thanks, guys!! Basically everything you have all said is what her pedi said. 

She wants her to have three meals a day, but that means, offer her breakfast, lunch and dinner and she eats, great, if not, no big deal. 

She said she can have anything, but recommends I wait a year for scrambled eggs, nuts, honey and shellfish. She also gave some great ideas. Chicken pot pie, lasagna, even chicken noodle soup (give the meat and veggies, and pasta is super soft).

It is hard not to stress, but like MissLily said, it is a waste of emotions, so I will keep that in mind!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

FYI,

It's the albumen in the egg whites that is a potential allergen so babies can have egg yolks, just not whites.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

And just keep repreating to youself "I'm offering a variety of yummy foods. It doesn't matter if she eats it yet."

I started to get depressed about preparing all this stuff and then tossing it out. You just have to get over it. It may go on for year.! I'm still having trouble and mine are almost four! And don't force - just let them try. I left a new kind of French toast on their plates yesterday and my DD did come back around and eat it in the end.

Lots of kids like black beans or small pieces of avocado. Take some of her favorite purees and cut up small pieces - butternut squash or some soft peas perhaps. Foods that are really slippery can be lightly coated with the dust from the bottom of the Cheerios bag.

I had a book called "Super Baby Food" by Ruth Yaron. I didn't want to make the special cereal she recommends but she had great lists and recipes for what to try when and how to prepare certain things.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Black and red beans and avocado, misslily, were my "famous" friend's toddler's favorite first finger foods!  And, one of her first words, too.  She said it slow and deliberatly, "av oh caaahhhd ohhhh."  So cute!  So, thought I'd second those choices. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In the same boat here, too. My 10m.o. DD has good and bad days of eating, but I try to remember that formula is her main source of nutrition til she's 1. But then I stress about what if she doesn't eat after she turns one. Then again, I guess kids can be all sorts of picky and have good and bad days of eating and in most cases it all just evens out anyways.

For breakfast, we offer cottage cheese, scrambled egg yolk, toast with cream cheese, cheerios, yogurt, tiny pieces of fruit (blueberries are her fave), yogurt drops. I want to try pancakes soon, too.

For lunch, she'll still eat purees at daycare just fine, so she has some fruit & veggie with some puffs or cheerios for a snack.

For dinner I've done ground beef, pasta, grilled cheese, pieces of meatball (no sauce yet), shredded cheese, cheese tortellini, quesadilla, mixed veggies, baked potato...can you tell my LO loves cheese? I try to limit it but sometimes it's all she'll eat!

She now always wants a sippy of water with her meals, too, and takes bites of food inbetween sips. We had our biggest meal time success last night at dinner, where she ate all of her rotini with alfredo sauce, some peas and blueberries...all with no fuss. I think what helped was that DH and I also sat and ate at the same time, whereas normally we eat after she goes to bed. She just wants us to eat as a family I suppose :) She also is showing lots of interest in what we're eating and drinking- I think she's just over baby food, but I'm still super cautious about giving her new things. It's weird- my biggest fear is allergies but DH's biggest fear is choking.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to lissafro's comment:

With formula feeding you know exactly how much the baby eats EVERY time and it's hard to transition to not being sure with the solids. 

Also so true!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I'd follow up that both of my kids, like Summer's, eat so much better when we're all eating together.  And DD (2.5) will try anything if it's what mom and dad are having...

I've always been of the thought that I make one thing for dinner (lunch, breakfast), and try to make sure that components of it will work for DD (so she might not love the sauce, but will eat.  I have a cousin who at 16 is still eating pizza or mac and cheese for dinner, not what everyone else is having, and I never wanted that to be an option for my kids!  If she's tried the dinner but doesn't like it, then there are a couple of options...a yogurt, cheese stick, veggies and hummous, beans...that just come out of the fridge and don't require cooking.  I don't bring those out until after we've tried the actual meal of the day. 

Now, with DS (8.5 mos), I am introducing his finger foods in the same way...it's slow so far, but he definitely is more interested in eating when we're all at the table together than when he's alone in his high chair..doesn't matter what the food is. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

"I have a cousin who at 16 is still eating pizza or mac and cheese for dinner, not what everyone else is having, and I never wanted that to be an option for my kids! "

good lord, I can't imagine that!  My mother wasn't an ogre, and I didn't like my food touching (seriously!  and we're talking about a 9 yr old!) but there was NO WAY she was making any other food than what she made for the family dinner.  I could have my sauce on the side or my pasta without sauce, I had to have a tiny portion of everything (until I was 10 or 11 I had 1 piece of any vege on my plate or 8 peas on my plate, I was a pill), and I had to not complain and pull a "yuck" face.  But make me a special dinner?  Over my mother's dead body, for sure! 

And what is that 16 yr old going to do when she starts dating - not eating in front of him?  Bringing her own mac and cheese?  Asking for the kids' meal at a restaurant with white tablecloths and candles? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I hate to break it to everyone, but I don't think kids date anymore, at least not the type of date you're thinking of.

I also was a picky eater when I was a kid (no sauce, no meat, etc.).  I did like vegetables and always ate them, especially since my mother was kind enough to save some raw for me since I preferred them uncooked.  I've branched out since.  I'm not sure I would have branched out if my picky eating habits had been reinforced by appeasement or coddling.  I was never forced to clear my plate or anything but I didn't have many other options besides the food being offered and hunger.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hahaa... I thought it was a 16 MO old eating the mac and cheese... whole different picture now!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Yes, I liked raw veges much better than cooked veges (still true for carrots, I love raw baby carrots!) when growing up - once we discovered that my mother usually had raw veges of whatever she made for dinner as a choice for me. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lissa, those were my options, too - what was served or hunger.  No crackers or puffs instead if I didn't choose the former.