Kids Say the Cutest Things

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Kids Say the Cutest Things

My father came over yesterday and I knew he'd want to watch the Patriots so I turned on the game. DD looked at the TV and said, "Oh it's the football movie again."

And I took my kids to see my mother in the rehab hospital on Saturday. DS walked into her room and said, "Nana, what are you doing in here?" It gave her an instant lift.

How about your little darlings?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

Re: Kids Say the Cutest Things

My 4 year old nephew has recently started calling me Kimberly instead of Kim even though no one calls me Kimberly. Recently he asked why DD was calling me "Mama." And I went into a big explanation about kids and their parents and how Grandma is my Mama. He looked at me and said "Oh I just thought it was because she didn't know how to say Kimberly yet."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

This morning my friend gave DD a cup of milk and I told her to say thank you but she got shy and didn't.  A minute later I said, "I still haven't heard your thank you."  And she said, "I still haven't heard YOUR thank you!!"

A little more sass than I need from a 2 year old, but I had to look away and laugh.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Liv, your story reminds me of my own experience with "Mama."  I don't remember doing it, I was only two, but I've been told I was sitting around the table with the four generations of women, me, my mom, grandmother, and great-grandmother.  Each daughter was calling their mother "Mama."  I thought I obviously needed to clear up the confusion so I walked over to my mom, put my hand on her knee and announced, "MAMA."  Next, went to my grandmother and announced, "GRAMMA."  And, to my great-grandmother, "MAMMIE."  I looked around to confirm they understood my corrections, but they were all laughing...boy, was I peeved, lol.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

So cute, Miss Lily, how is your mom doing?

DD is having a language and communication explosion, so it's not just what she says, just the fact that she says it. We stopped by my MIL's place and she asked me where DH was, and totally unexpectedly DD says "He's at a job in Salem!" (he owns a moving company, so his location is always different). I was shocked both that she said it, and she knew he was in Salem - because I didn't! I asked him later in the day and he confirmed, yes, he was in Salem! I'm just amazed I can get real information out of her now!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

These are too cute!  My DD is always busting out with the funniest things, so it's hard to pick just one.  Well, she loves the phone.  We really don't talk on the phone very much, but DH and I use BabyESP to track things so we look at it a lot.  So last week DD puts a "phone" up to her ear (a wooden block) and says, "Hi Susan, this is my friend mommy, I'm working from home today.  Okay, bye."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

DS is pretty consistently hilarious, but it's odd how much of a regular conversation he and I can have now. Last night, he wanted to take his tools across the street to help out a neighbor and said, "Don't miss me too much, Mummy. I'll be back."  I like it when he says sweet things like that almost more than the funny things (such as when he lectures me on driving - "Mummy, you cut that lady off in traffic. Inappropriate. You should say sorry").

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

When talking about God to DS, talking about how God helps people etc., DS replies "So, God is like a firefighter."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

ML - thanks for asking. She's had such a horrible time. Two surgeries in 14 days which meant being in the hospital for a month. Now, at least she in rehab. Trying to get her strength back. But she's old (almost 80) and cranky these days. Told me yesterday she was fighting with the PT. So I told her to "knock it off. You're here to work hard and get better. I don't care if you don't like it. Just do it anyway. I need you to come home. I can't keep visiting you all the time in these places. So just KNOCK IT OFF, OKAY?" I think I startled her a bit. Hopefully she'll get the hint. I know it's hard and she'd probably rather lie in bed, but it's time to get over it and get moving again.

BTW - this is a women who was doing all her own grocery shopping, doing laundry in her basement, going up and down stairs in her 2 story house, sitting my twins with my dad all up until her surgeries.I think her resistance is more mental than physical at this point.

Anyway - it is what it is. (sigh)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

If I say "I'm sorry DD" to my DD (26 months) because I am carrying her and hit her leg into something (or something else I would apologize to her for), she says back to me "I sorry Mama" a few times.  Sooo cute!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

http://crappypictures.com/picking-up-women-non-crappy-collaboration/

I forget who used to share this blog, but I love it (so thank you)! The latest one covers our discussion.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

I sure hope for the sake of everyone involved that your description of Mom and her insufficiently helpful attitude was exaggerated for effect.

I'm 43 and if I'd had two surgeries in 14 days, spent a month in the hospital, and were parked in rehab (and possibly on a variety of medications) and had somebody complaining I wasn't bouncing back to their satisfaction and accusing me of malingering,  I'd be pretty darn cranky too. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

In response to purplecow89's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I sure hope for the sake of everyone involved that your description of Mom and her insufficiently helpful attitude was exaggerated for effect.

I'm 43 and if I'd had two surgeries in 14 days, spent a month in the hospital, and were parked in rehab (and possibly on a variety of medications) and had somebody complaining I wasn't bouncing back to their satisfaction and accusing me of malingering,  I'd be pretty darn cranky too. 

[/QUOTE]

And atlhough kids can say the cutest things, your rude comment shows that adults don't always.  Perhaps you could learn something from a child.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Well ...doesn't that help the situation?

I'm sorry to hear she's having that common post-surgery slump. She's probably scared that she's starting to be an old lady. I'm sure reminding her that she's vital and needed, in your life and your children's lives will help get her out of bed. You wouldn't push her if you didn't think she's capable of it. I certainly read the post the way you intended, sorry for the unhelpfuls.

On a funny note, DH was up at 3 AM and heard DD talking in her sleep. He went to check on her and she was talking in her sleep, saying "pasta, pasta!" (her favorite food!).

Last night at dinner (we had pasta, actually), we asked DD what her favorite food was. she said "Pasta!" and what else? "Broccoli, onions and prunes!"

We were so proud!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

People often need tough love in pt, it's painful and tiring, and the temptation is to argue with the therapists and refuse to do the exercises to the patient's detriment forever.  A "JUST DO IT" is often necessary so the person does what he or she needs to do while therapy can do the most good, when it is prescribed by their doctor.  There is a brief window, and if you coddle them and let them resist the ramifications are far worse than those of being stearn.  A woman in her 80s will either shrivel and die or get over her obstinate attitude with the therapists immediately and be able to LIVE fully which is clearly what misslily wants for her mom no matter how unpleasant it might be to get her there.  I can't imagine she took any sick pleasure in saying what she said or how she had to say it, and trying to make her feel worse is unconscionable.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

FWIW, Miss Lily, I think the rest of us got what you were saying. We've all known (or perhaps have been) a "bad patient" at one time or another. An illness on the family is never easy. I'm just thinking about my DH's grandmother's stint in rehab after she fell and broke her pelvis. Such an ordeal! I hope your Mom starts feeling better soon and you're all able to relax a little once she's home!

I was really enjoying this thread before it took this turn. Your kids are cracking me up!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Yes Chicklet I agree. Sorry to hijack with my troubles. :)

Today on the way to school we saw a house all decrated for Halloween. Webs, spiders, ghosts, jack'o'lanterns, a graveyard etc. DS looked over and said, "Look Mama, that house is all dressed up for Halloween!" Loved it. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

In response to misslily's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes Chicklet I agree. Sorry to hijack with my troubles. :)

[/QUOTE]

Oh, I wouldn't say you were the one to hijack! The kids must be especially cute at Halloween time! :-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I was wearing an old concert t-shirt of my husband's and the FIRST thing my DD said when she saw it was "Hey-that llama has opposable thumbs!"

Here's a link to a jpeg of a similar shirt.  The llama is also bluish purple and has 8 human arms. 

http://www.mountlehmanllamas.com/silverchairpurple.jpg

But she's right, opposable thumbs aren't normally something a llama has.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Misslily, I'm sorry to hear your mom is out of commission.  Somehow I missed that info before.

Lissa - that is SO funny.

Halloween is definitely fodder for funny kids.  We haven't talked about Halloween much, but DD loves to spot pumpkins around town, and we had a small one and we randomly painted it this weekend.  When my dad came, he says to DD, "Oh, you painted that pumpkin for Halloween."
      DD: "No!"  My dad: "yes, that pumpkin for Halloween."  DD: "No!  It's just called a PUMPKIN."

Apparently, "pumpkin for Halloween" is not an okay term.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Yes, Miss Lily, the rest of us got what you are saying.  Now, perhaps this is helpful, if not, file it in the 'unhelpful bucket' and move on....

I have now had 2 different foot surgeries and have worked with 3 different physical therapists.  It is always painful to do what they want and to do the "homework" but I'm fairly compliant because I really want to walk without limping (and at 47 and 3/4 I am tired of walking like an old lady!).  So I was expecting to be super compliant this August when I started working with a new PT after my 2nd surgery.  But he was causing me super duper pain - and it was hard to know whether it was that I was so newly out of surgery or what, because I'd worked with a different phs. ther. a year earlier and it had been painful (yes, indeedy) but not like this.  So I was stumped. For various reasons I quit that PT and went back to the practice I'd used before and have my original PT and another one I work with 3 times/week and neither of them cause so much pain and are so difficult as the one I worked with in August. 

So if your mother is in SUPER pain or feeling like the PT is just too hard to work with, it might be that their fit isn't good.  So is it possible to choose another one?  Although if she's at a rehab hospital it's possible she works with different ones, but usually they try to keep you to only 1 or 2 for consistency.  Perhaps she tries out another one (try a woman, in my experience they are tough but aren't quite as strong so don't CRUSH you when they massage and man-handle you) to see if it's actually a bad PT-patient connection?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I'm not quite sure if DD is old enough to say the darndest things yet, but we have a new bedtime routine that amuses me. The minute I start singing, she says, Want ni-ni. I put her down in the crib and continue singing and after a minute she says, Bye bye Mama. One day she kept repeating it more and more quietly and all I could think of was the SNL skit from the 90s where David Spade is a flight attendant who keeps saying, Buh-bye, buh-bye now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Thanks CT - I totally realize how hard it is. She did it ten years ago when she broke her hip.

She actually walked a few steps without a walker yesterday so she's on the right track.

I don't know what happened to my reply to Purplecow and I have no intention of reposting it. Suffice it to say my mom and I have a very special bond. When she was hallucinating in the ICU from the meds they were giving her, my dad called and said, "You need to come. I know having you here will make her feel better." I would do anything for her.

Fra - I think of the SNL skit too. My two who sometimes stand at the door and say "bye-bye, bye-bye, bye-bye"!

And I used to sing lullabys until my DD said, "No Mama sing" :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

"No mama Sing" -Love it! Waiting for the day I hear this one! :) Misslilly-great progress with your mom!

Taking DD home from the hosptial after she was born, we loaded the kids into the car and DS says "Well {pause} here we go!" He definitely knew things were going to change.